Major Mattress Manufacturers - Top 20

Hello,
I am new to the forum and wondered if you had any recommendations for manufacturers in my local/regional area. I live in Saratoga Springs, NY

Thank you!

I’m new, too, and I’m also wondering if you had manufactures to recommend in my rural area of Charleston, IL, 61920.
Thanks!

Hi Kerra,

Welcome to the mattress forum:).

We don’t really have a list of manufacturers for specific regions, also just because a manufacturer is located in your region, they may not have any products that are selling at retailers in your region. Some regions have factory direct stores. You could also do a forum search on closest cities, like Indianapolis or St Louis and see if other TMU consumers have discussed these.

As you probably know, we always recommend you talk to our trusted members where you can get high-quality materials, and transparent information.

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi Cooper7,

As has been mentioned before, In early 2018 we decided to discontinue the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was created with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground

Additionally, we don’t really have a list of manufacturers for specific regions, also just because a manufacturer is located in your region, they may not have any products that are selling at retailers in your region. Some regions have factory direct stores. You could also do a forum search on closest cities, i.e. Albany and see if other TMU consumers have discussed any local manufacturers

As you probably know, we always recommend you talk to our trusted members where you can get high-quality materials, and transparent information.

Thanks for the post!

Sensei

Deciding between The Saatva Firm and Luxury firm. Have chronic back pain. Wondering if the luxury foam has enough support. Fortunate enough to have been able to try both and both were comfortable.

Hey azaz123,

Are you referencing the firm and the luxury firm for the Saatva Classic Mattress? How were you able to try them? Did you sleep a full night on both, or just lay down for a little while. What is your BMI?

Here is a Saatva threadwith some posts from Phoenix and consumer posts.

Thanks
Sensei

I’m 5’10" 160lbs

Did try them on in a store where they had a bunch of online mattresses for display. Both were about a couple weeks old and not super broken in. The firm felt the way I a generic mattressfirm “firm” mattress would feel. The luxury firm was softer and had a little bit of sinking to it. Both were comfortable… I have chronic lower back issues which were exacerbated by a horrible quality foam mattress (Zinus). Tossing it and decided on the Saatva. I was under the impression a firm mattress would solve my problems.

The only discrepancy is the online reviews - a lot people consistently mentioning the luxury firm was too firm. I’m like wtf… not even close per my experience. However, medium firm is “supposed” to be the best for back pain is what people say. Therefore, I’m worried that I might have issues if I were to pick a firm mattress (I’m used to sleeping on firm mattresses and this seemed firmer than usual) based on reviews/the general “firm isn’t the solution for back pain” thought process. On the other hand, the luxury firm was pretty comfortable and not firm to me by any means - worried if I were to pick this I might sink in and make my back pain worse particularly given my horrible experience with an all foam cheap Zinus mattress.

ANY help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hey azaz123,

Thanks for the information…because each person is different in terms of their physiology, weight distribution, and body shape as well as the positions they sleep in, their individual preferences, and the specifics of any back issues they may experience, there is no such thing as a mattress that is “better for backs” in general because a mattress that is good for one person’s back (or back issues) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on … even if their body type, sleeping positions, or back issues appear to be fairly similar. There is only a mattress that keeps you in good alignment which would be best for YOUR back.

In general … what you would be looking for is a mattress with firm enough deep support and then comfort layers that are “just enough” in terms of thickness and softness to “fill in” and support the more recessed parts of your sleeping profile and relieve pressure in your most pressure prone sleeping position (usually side sleeping for those who sleep in this position) so that there is less risk to alignment in your other sleeping positions. This is another reason why reading “reviews” sometimes has the opposite effect of helping one choose what’s best.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” although this may be more than you really need to know to choose a mattress that is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

If you have the time, and want to read…two of the more important links in the mattress tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress that is the best “match” in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

Hope this helps!

Sensei