Make a Latex Bed

Hello everyone,
This site has been very informative, but I had a question. I’m wanting to make my own latex bed, as the companies selling these mattresses are quite high. I feel by buying the layers myself I could put them on the latex foundation I can make with the plans I found in a post. I’m just needing guidance on were to purchase the latex pieces.
So far, this is what I’ve found. I have seen multiple sites selling talalay latex 2" and 3" layers. But I’m having a hard time locating a good latex core. To keep the cost affordable, I haven’t decided if I will have to go with a latex (natural/synthetic) blend.
I’m wanting durability and comfort, like a pillow top.
I feel the dunlop will be the base (core) and talalay latex will be the top core (3").
Could you recommend any sites or links for buying the core piece?
Ryan

Hi ryan83,

If you are considering building your own latex mattress I would make sure you’ve read post #15 here and the posts it links to first to make sure you have realistic expectations of success and the costs that may be involved.

The “best” approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” and a willingness to go through some trial and error and where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the DIY process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not turn out to be the case).

If you do decide to go in this direction then post #4 here has some of the better layer and component sources I’m aware of.

Phoenix

I liked using one supplier I trusted. I chose 2 twin xl blended talalay cores,45-50 ILD for my Eastern King. They were $250.00 each + shipping @ www.mattresses.net.

Good luck. I found that price to be outstanding. There are different sizes available.

I found a queen 6" Dunlop core from SleepOnLatex.com for $499.
https://sleeponlatex.com/collections/latex-mattress-cores-toppers/products/dunlop-latex-mattress-core

Has anyone had past experience with this company?

Hi ryan83,

You can see my thoughts about Karl and Sleeponlatex in post #4 here and post #3 here and a forum search on “sleeponlatex” will bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

Phoenix

I’ve read that blended Talalay would be the same quality as all natural dunlop. By searching, I’ve seen either an all natural dunlop core and 100% all natural Talalay latex cores. Can anyone direct me to a blended Talalay latex core, so I can compare prices? Is there a 6" blended Talalay core made? I found a 3" blended Talalay.
Thanks

Hi ryan83,

Off the top of my head I know at least 3 of the suppliers on the components list sell 6" blended Talalay latex cores. They are …

You could also use two 3" layers for a 6" core.

I would also keep in mind that if you see “natural Talalay” or “100% Talalay” (instead of “100% natural Talalay”) it will usually mean blended Talalay.

Phoenix

Blended talalay, 70/30 syn./natural blend, is called Classic Tatatech by it’s manufacturer, Latex International. See my thread - been there done that. Hey, with all the mattress samples I have, might make my dog a bed!

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/diy-talatech-mattress-any-cover-ideas

Mark

Abraxas,
Thanks for letting me know about the 70/30 latex percentage. I’m having a hard time deciding to go with a 100% natural talalay topper or a blended topper, on top of the 100% natural dunlop 6" core, found here.
https://sleeponlatex.com/collections/latex-mattress-cores-toppers/products/dunlop-latex-mattress-core

I thought about trying this sample.

Do you notice differences between the companies samples.

Hi ryan83,

You can read a little more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and more about 100% natural vs blended Talalay in post #2 here.

While a sample won’t tell you much if anything about how a particular mattress will feel when you sleep on it … most people would notice a difference between the different types and blends of latex and different firmness levels if that’s what you mean.

Phoenix