making a foam mattress

I am making a foam mattress. I have a 4inch soft latex topper. I have purchased a 6 inch sheet of lux hd foam which is 2.6 lb density and 50 ild poly foam. This is going to be my base layer. What can I use as a transition layer. I was thinking a 36 ild hq poly foam would be good. I don’t know how many inches to use or should I get a softer transitional layer. The 50 ild poly foam base is too firm. Keep in mind my weight is 300 lbs. What do you suggest I use a transition layer.

Hi Sleepy103114,

If you are considering ordering from Foambymail (AKA FBM or Foam Factory and other names as well) then I would read this post and this post and this topic (about their polyfoam and sources) and this post (presumably from a past employee) before buying anything or considering them as a reliable supplier that provides accurate information about their foam products.

I would also read the comments in my reply in post #4 here as well about the challenges and trial and error that may be involved with building your own DIY mattress.

It’s not really possible to guess the thickness or firmness of a transition layer that would work best for you in combination with your other foam layers because there are just too many unknowns and variables and personal preferences involved so you may need some trial and error to find out what works best for you in combination with the layers that you have (unless you have a blueprint of another mattress that you know works well for you that uses the same base layer and top layer in which case I would use the same middle layer as well). You could use either polyfoam or latex as a transition foam material and I would probably suggest something in the range of 2" to 3" and a firmness that is somewhere in between your base layer and your 4" soft latex topper topper although I would suggest a firmness level closer to the topper than the base layer (which I also hope you didn’t order from FBM because I don’t trust their firmness ratings).

I would also keep in mind that ILD/IFD numbers don’t compare well between different materials or between different types and blends of latex. 36 ILD may be a little bit high for a transition layer (it’s more in the range of a typical firm base layer) although this can also depend on your weight, body type, sleeping positions, preferences, and on the type and ILD of the latex topper you have. All the layers and components in a mattress (including the cover) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component in your mattress … sometimes in very complex or surprising ways … so the only way to know for certain how all the layers will interact with each other and with your body type and sleeping style will be based on your actual “real life” experience.

Phoenix

Thanks phoenix I am thinking a transition layer of 4 inches of 30 ild poly foam. I just don’t want to waste the 50 ild poly foam base. That foam is hard as a rock. I should of gotten a 35 ild hq poly foam base instead but I didn’t know poly foam could be so firm. I don’t know if this will work. Do you think it will help my weight is 300 lbs. should I just get rid of the 50 ild poly foam base altogether?

Hi Sleepy103114,

I would probably try something a little bit thinner than 4".

It should help to isolate you from the firmness of the base layer but only your own experience will tell you whether it helps enough.

There is no inherent reason why a firmer base layer wouldn’t work … it will just need different (and probably thicker) combinations of materials on top of it than softer base layers.

Phoenix

Thanks phoenix I will try a 3 inch 30 ild poly foam layer in between the soft topper and the 50 ild poly foam base. I am learning more every day about how layers of foam function in layers.

What ild of poly foam and thickness should I put on top of this firm base of 50 ild. To make a comfortable mattress

Where can I get this 30 ild poly foam.

Hi Sleepy103114,

I switched your post in your new topic back to your original topic here since you’ve already asked the same question here and unfortunately there really isn’t anything that I can add to my previous replies.

The better online sources for polyfoam I’m aware of are listed in the component post here.

Phoenix