Making firm latex mattress a bit softer

Hello! Back in 2014, I purchased a king firm/firm 6" iSleep EZ 7000 after getting lots of great help from this forum (thanks, Phoenix!). The mattress has been great since then - my wife (5’4", 125 LB) and I (5’10", 150 LB) are both primarily back sleepers, and have really liked the firm support.

Recently, however, I’ve started having some back and hip issues, and feel like it would help to be able to sink in just a bit more - I’m not looking for feather bed, enveloping cocoon-type softness at all, I just want to squish down enough to let my spine curve more naturally, and relieve some of the pressure on my sacrum and hips. If I can occasionally sleep on my side a little more comfortably, that’s great too.

I’m thinking about getting a softer raw latex topper to address this, but not sure what options might work best - 1, 2, or 3 inch? soft or medium? dunlop or talaylay? As always, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi sonoflee,

Welcome back!

There is much more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a latex topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. There is more about the pros and cons of a latex topper in post #2 here.

Because of the uncertainty involved with purchasing a topper where you can’t test the combination in person … a good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would also make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return the topper and any costs involved just in case a topper you choose also doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix

Having just purchased a 3-layer latex Sleep EZ bed and wanting to make it firmer, I think you would be very happy with a 3" SleepEZ soft topper in Talalay. My wife got the Firm-Med-Soft layers (3" each) and finds it too soft. We are exchanging layers to make it firmer. However, we both LOVE the Talalay top layer and its “sink-in” feeling (we are coming from Memory Foam). It is Very comfortable and has no pressure points (my wife has back issues from a old car accident). I think 6" would not be enough depth personally.
Hope that helps.
Matt

Hi mattski,

Thanks for your feedback and comments to sonoflee :slight_smile: . I would advise some caution though to taking your particular results and using that as a guidance for the applicability or appropriateness for others. The quality of material you’re recommending certainly is high, but in the end someone’s level of happiness will be best determined through their own personal testing.

Regarding mattress thickness, this is more of a byproduct of design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful. For an all-latex mattress, 8"-9" is easily enough to provide for combinations from plush to firm (as in your case), but those who prefer a firmer comfort or are of a lighter weight can also do quite well with a 6" all-latex mattress, and this thickness has been a popular choice for decades for many.

Thanks again for contributing.

Phoenix