making the deal

After pouring over your site, I decided to try a latex mattress, specifically Berkeley Ergonomics as offered
by Good Night Mattress in Redondo Beach. I’ve narrowed it down to two of their designs.
One is all latex: 2 inches of latex comfort layer over 7zone latex core.
The other is a hybrid model with 2 inches of latex comfort layer over independent coils with a 1.4mm diameter.
Both models come with the 1 inch latex topper.

My question is this: which is better in terms of durability? I have had consistent problems in the past with beds hammocking on one side or the other with the more traditional mattresses (Simmons).
I read your post about latex being more durable than springs, if the IDL isn’t too low. I don’t know the IDL of these foam layers.
Then I worry that the weight of the all latex will make the slat base sag and get hammocking this way.
How do I find out the IDL of the latex used?
And do you concur that the flexible slat base is the best for latex mattresses?
And finally, what is the protocol on negotiating with price?

Thank you so much for all your help. What a fantastic site!

Hi mg,

[quote]My question is this: which is better in terms of durability? I have had consistent problems in the past with beds hammocking on one side or the other with the more traditional mattresses (Simmons).
I read your post about latex being more durable than springs, if the IDL isn’t too low. I don’t know the IDL of these foam layers.
Then I worry that the weight of the all latex will make the slat base sag and get hammocking this way.
How do I find out the IDL of the latex used?[/quote]

They will be roughly equivalent. The weak link of a mattress is generally in the comfort layers and microcoils are a durable comfort layer and latex is very durable as well so the main difference between them will be how well they match your unique needs and preferences in terms of PPP.

The ILD of a material isn’t really relevant when you are testing mattresses locally because while it’s true that lower ILD’s are less durable … if they are too firm for you and you can’t sleep on it then durability would be a moot point. Latex is the most durable foam material of all the foam types regardless of ILD (softness) but if a mattress is on the edge of being too soft for someone then even a small amount of normal softening can put them outside of the range of comfort and support that is ideal for them (see post #2 here) so it’s more a matter of making the most suitable choice because durability is relative to the person. None of the Berkeley Ergonomics have any “weak links” in terms of durability as long as the mattress you choose is well inside the range of PPP that is most suitable for you so the choice between the two would be a matter of preference rather than “better/worse”. The main reason that your Simmons mattress or other mainstream mattresses have sagged or softened is because of the use of lower quality/durability materials and components which are the weak link in the mattress … especially in the comfort layers … that Berkeley Ergonomics doesn’t use.

Not necessarily no. The flexible slats can change the feel and performance of the mattress and for some it may be an improvement in terms of PPP and for some it may be detrimental. I would test the mattress on both and then choose the base that works best for you and treat this as a preference issue as well. The “norm” for a latex mattress is a rigid non flexing slatted base but in some cases (particularly with thinner latex mattresses) the extra “give” under the mattress or the ability to fine tune the support by creating firmer or softer areas may be an advantage if it noticeably improves PPP to a degree that you notice. With an 8" latex mattress it may not make enough difference for some people to feel while others would notice a difference (depending on weight and sensitivity).

You can read a little more about negotiating in post #6 here and more about “fake sales” in post #5 here but in most cases retailers that negotiate on price or have “fake sales” have regular prices that are too high in the first place and the end result of the “sale price” or “negotiating” is still relatively poor value. Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses have prices that are generally non negotiable but of course if you are including them as one of your “finalists” then it never hurts to ask “is this your absolute best price” along with showing them the other mattresses you are considering (or other retailers that are carrying the same mattress for less). There is a list of Berkeley Ergonomics retailers in post #6 here that you can use for reference. I called Good Night Mattress to confirm what they were carrying because their site is currently out of date and I didn’t realize they were carrying them … thank you :)). In some cases they may add a bonus such as a mattress protector or pillow vs a price reduction but I wouldn’t have the expectation of a price reduction with better manufacturers such as Berkeley Ergonomics or retailers that tend to list their best prices every day without having to resort to “fake sales” or “negotiated prices”.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your insight and prompt response.
I’ve been struggling with buying a mattress for a long time and this
site and your comments have helped relieve my anxiety about it.
It’s going to be hard to tell which of the BE is best for me. I will keep you posted.

mg

Hi mg,

Berkeley Ergonomics does a good job of choosing and training their dealers and all of the BE dealers I’ve talked with have been very good at guiding their customers and helping them to make the most suitable choice so I would imagine that Good Night Mattress will be very helpful as well.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing :slight_smile:

Phoenix