Manufacturers - overview

Hi Rackin.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You can perform a Forum Search and you can type in the “key term” text box any city or area you would be closer to and consider driving, or any other area and see what other businesses have been discussed in that region which may be helpful to you.

Whatever business you’re considering, I would always confirm that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and also make sure that any mattress that you are considering meets the Post #13 quality/value guidelines here.

Once you have a chance to narrow down your options you can approach any of our Expert Members here with more specific questions they’ll be happy to assist you.

Phoenix

I probably have what is an offbeat question, but here goes. Back in 1952 my grandfather, Alfred Harrell and his sons (Paul, Charlie & James) started a mattress factory. I have a picture with the sign and my father and my Uncle Charlie. I just have no idea where this picture was taken. The only thing that I am certain of is that is was taken in 1952. I’m thinking in Arkansas but am not certain. Basically, I am wondering if anyone knows what became of this factory or if anyone knows anything about the history of it?

I have read almost everything on your site.
I still dont know what to buy or where to buy it.
I guess I’m overwhelmed with so much info.
Here’s my problem.
I thought I was a back sleeper, but I switched when I tore my rotator cuff in my right arm. Now I have to sleep on that shoulder and have become a side sleeper, I thought a latex mattress would be best for support and pressure relief, but I dont know how to go about constructing one online. I get hung up in not knowing if I am a medium or firm. I also have had a broken foot for over 4 years (severe osteoporosis, arthritis in foot) which throws my hip out. So I need lots of hip support. But how much, is the question.
I am in Fullerton Calif. I am thinking what I need best is a good retailer who is fair, honest, and knowledgeable.
I am retired and budget is everything.
I can’t afford more than 1500.00 for box and mattress.
Is this even realistic?
Should I just get a thick latex topper and put it on this 5 yr old mattress?
Currently I spend a lot of time in bed due to foot but by days end my hip is just burning in pain.
I read and read and read your mattress forums and have looked up retailers and feel kinda hopeless to solve my problem at this point.
I am 5’1" 180 lbs. Yup. I got fat sitting in this bed not being able to walk anymore.
I know this seems like a tall order, but I am getting desperate to solve this bed problem.
BTW, this is the most comprehensive website of valuable info on choosing a bed I have ever seen.
I didn’t know anything about choosing a bed.
I may be overwhelmed but no less grateful for your site.
The way you respect your members and their posts is incredible.
You have such patience and are so caring and thoughtful in your replies.
Whether you can answer or lead me to a solution I don’t know, but I sure am happy I found your site.
It’s the most remarkable site on beds I have ever seen.
So thank you in advance if you can help and thank you even if you can’t.
All the best, and happy holidays,
Catte

Hi catte.

[quote]BTW, this is the most comprehensive website of valuable info on choosing a bed I have ever seen.
I didn’t know anything about choosing a bed.
I may be overwhelmed but no less grateful for your site.
The way you respect your members and their posts is incredible.
You have such patience and are so caring and thoughtful in your replies.
Whether you can answer or lead me to a solution I don’t know, but I sure am happy I found your site. It’s the most remarkable site on beds I have ever seen.
So thank you in advance if you can help and thank you even if you can’t.[/quote]

Thank you for your very kind words and appreciation about the site, I am happy that the information here is helping you even though it is rather extensive when you go down into details. Your words have the touch of wisdom an understanding that comes with living well on this planet regardless of its ups and downs. Last night I was very fortunate to meet a 103-year-old lady of amazing vitality and wisdom and just like with you I was greatly honored by her words and appreciation.

Without knowing about the specifics and condition of your current mattress it would be impossible to know if a topper would help.

I’m sorry to hear about your painful pre-existing conditions and I understand your confusion and the feeling of overwhelm in trying to find a quality/durable comfortable yet supportive sleeping surface that would take into account all issues you are experiencing. I agree with you to initially ensure that the mattress support is adequate not only because of your hip and foot pains but in general because if the spine is not in good alignment the body will try to compensate as (see the basic functions of a mattress here), Posture and alignment would be the first priority and then comfort/ pressure relief “plushness” coming second and you’d obviously want to consider something that allows for enough surface comfort, and also assists with pressure point relief, while still overall being resilient enough and provide enough support while sleeping.

I am not a medical practitioner, but the rotator cuff injuries often causes dull aches deep within the shoulder which tend to worsen when you try to sleep on the involved side rather than sleeping on your back. So perhaps sleeping on that shoulder is not helping with healing and you’d do much better with reverting to your back sleeping. A high BMI also presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). There are also a number of forum posts and threads about mattresses and higher weights and a forum title search on heavy (you can just click this) will bring up many of them. Some examples include post #2 here and post #2 here and this thread and Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights.

As you have some very specific health considerations… generally nothing can replace your own personal testing, but if you can’t test a mattress in person then you are correct that the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using . When choosing something online, it’s important to deal with experienced, educated and helpful manufacturers who have the knowledge to guide you through the process and find something that they honestly think will fit your specific sleeping positions, somatotype, BMI and individual needs. Post #2 here and this topic have more about the pros and cons of a local vs an online purchase.

Next in the line would be to decide on the type of mattress and the choice of materials and components you’d prefer but it’s important to make sure you choose a durable version of whatever materials you chose. Latex (you can read more about the different types in post #6 here), 5 lb or higher memory foam, 2 lb or higher polyfoam, and stronger innersprings with more steel or in the case of lower coil counts with lower gauge springs (around 13 gauge or lower) are all among some of the more durable materials and components that can work well for higher weight ranges. I would make sure that any lower quality foams are less than around an inch or so in a quilting layer because more than that can become the weak link in a mattress … especially for someone that is heavier (unless of course, the mattress is for shorter term use or for a guest bedroom where durability isn’t as big an issue).

[quote]I am in Fullerton Calif. I am thinking what I need best is a good retailer who is fair, honest, and knowledgeable.
[/quote]

Foam Sweet Foam one of our Trusted Members of the site
Is based in Fullerton, CA and you may wish to give them a call to see if they can help guide you. They are also an Expert Member of our site and very experienced with helping people find the right construction for their needs. They used to have a Fullerton local facility, however, they have now switched to online entirely so I am not sure if you can go and test it.
About a half an hour drive away you’d have Flexus Comfort Mattress Company (another Trusted member) who has both spring and latex mattress and you may wish to visit and determine which type of mattress or materials you’d do best with.
And of course, if you decide to go th online route you’d have much more options and I would certainly agree with you that relying on the advice of the manufacturer themselves would have the best chance of success as they are much more familiar with their own mattress designs and materials than anyone else (including me) and they can use the information you provide them about your body type and sleeping positions, your health conditions, your preferences, your history on different mattresses, and the results of any local testing to make suggestions based on the “averages” of other customers that may be similar to you.

Depending on the mattress size you are considering there are good/quality options but for larger size beds the budget you listed may be a bit limiting for both mattress and foundation.

Hope this helps a bit and that you can get a better sense of the next steps.
And … I had a great holiday time … I hope you did too :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for the idea on the towels! I tried it a couple times myself and noticed an improvement but what really worked is that it gave me the idea of propping up the lumbar area UNDERNEATH the mattress a little which I did with just a 2"X4" piece of wood. Lower back pain significanly reduced after just two nights…a great fix while I wait for my DIY latex components to arrive.

FWIW, before my current too-soft Luxury Plush S&F I had tried a Cushion Firm Sealy with firmer middle zone. I think the zone was two broad for me though stretching also across shoulders and hips, worsening pressure points while still leaving a gap under my lumbar area. Wish I had found TMU before I got either of these!

You are amazing! I wrote you again on another page with better information for you and just so you know I had read thru almost every page you recommended on your advice back to me right here.
I’m getting more knowledgeable!
I can’t thank you enuf for answering me!
You’re a peach!
Why did I not just think to call these manufacturers instead of just trying to figure it all out by myself I’ll never know. DOH!
I had driven past the Fullerton foam place you mention, and I did write to them, but I will call.
I dont know why I got so set on a mattress being only latex except to say I was touring in Europe and one of the hotel we stayed in in Switzerland had a latex mattress and I tell you I never slept so good in my life. When I woke up I looked under the sheets to see what was so different about this mattress and it said Latex.
I never forgot that. Just started doing the research a week ago and found your website.
Well LOOK no further folks!
You have arrived at the mecca of bed info.
Go slowly and hang in there. If I can do it, anybody can do it. And touch base with the experts. They are patient and thoughtful in their answers to you no matter how many times they are asked the same questions.
Happy latex bed hunting, to one and all!
And all hail the Mattress Underground!
Sincerely,
Catte Adams

What is your opinion on Mattress Factory, where they make the mattress to your personal specifications?
Also, what about “off-gassing”?
I have a Temper-Pedic that I wanted to ditch after 3 or 4 years. There 20 year warranty is a joke.
Love your website — excellent information.
Need more people like you to provide extensive info for other areas.

Hi Sahara.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear that the TempurPedic mattress did not work out for you but I am glad that the information on our site is useful. Thanks for your appreciation!

The Mattress Factory in one of the Trusted Members of our site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry. Before and after mattresses customization is becoming more and more the norm in the industry this is also one of the reasons so many mattresses are now component or modular style systems to accommodate the online shopping and also to be able to exchange/rearrange layering in case the initial comfort choice is not quite right for the sleeper(s). Having a mattress being customized to your specific needs and preferences is a great option for those that live close to the manufacturing facility. This is probably the best of both worlds as you can test the mattress while working closely with a manufacturer to have it fine-tuned to your specifications. As an aside, The Mattress Factory is where we purchased our dual-sided all latex mattress a little more than 8 years ago. We did not meet Peter or his son personally as we ordered our mattress by phone after a few long converations but I still have very vivid and fond memories of the entire process that lead to starting this website Also I am still sleeping sound and very happy with our mattress :slight_smile: even though it had to go hrough a bit of morphing due to my TMJ condition and had to be “firmed” up a bit when I switched to back sleeping

While some people may be unusually sensitive to some materials due to certain medical issues such as MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities) or may be sensitive to some materials that the large majority of people would be fine with that are really impossible to predict … the foams they use are CertiPur certified and they have a reliable certification for the safety of the materials (see post #2 here ) then outside of these more unusual circumstances or outside of those people who may prefer more natural materials for “personal” reasons (rather than “safety” reasons) … the materials and the mattress would certainly be “safe enough” for the very large majority of people to sleep on.

Phoenix

@ Catte…
Thank you for your very kind words … . It means a great deal to me when the site can help people make better choices. :slight_smile: