Materials check on two mattresses

Hey all,

Great, great site. I’ve learned more about how to find a quality mattress in the last two hours than I ever thought possible, and for the first time I feel as though I have an understanding of how to properly select one.

I’m looking for a relatively firm mattress after having a Simmons firm-plush number that rapidly developed a body impression. I liked two mattresses I tried at a small, sole-proprietor shop and, having read the information on this site, think that they are reasonably well constructed. Would anyone be willing to opine on the construction of these two and whether they have any suspect construction elements that may not be very durable? I suppose they’re a bit on opposite ends of the mattress spectrum: one is latex, the other is a traditional, two-sided (flippable) innerspring construction.

Latex:
Cotton and bamboo top quilt
1" wool
2" natural latex 24 ILD topper
6" latex 34 ILD core

Innerspring:
1" poly foam
1/2" gel foam
7/8" high-density foam
1 1/4" compressed poly board
1 1/2" insulator pad
Coil support

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hi SleepyinNY,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

As you mentioned these are very different mattresses with different materials and components but I’d be happy to comment on the quality of the materials inside them.

These are all high quality materials and latex is a very durable material so there are no weak links in this mattress.

I would need a little more information about the quality/density of the materials in this mattress to make any meaningful comments about it. The information you would need is in this article and if you can find this out then you can compare it to the quality guidelines in post #4 here. You would particularly need to know the density of the top 3 foam layers. The compressed polyboard is fine and the 1 1/2" insulator pad is fine as well. While it’s not generally the most important part of the durability of the mattress … it’s also a good idea to find out the specifics of the innerspring so that you can make more meaningful comparisons with other similar mattresses as well.

If you can find out the density of the top 3 layers I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials. Even if the quality/density is good though … the latex in the first mattress would be more durable than the materials in this mattress although of course it would also be in a higher budget range.

Post #13 here also has more information about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that may also be helpful.

Phoenix