Matress Shopping in San Antonio Texas

Back in March I was shopping for mattresses for my 2 boys (2 & 3 years old) and spent HOURS researching on your mattress forum. They both have a dust mite allergy so I was looking for latex or foam and trying to be as natural/organic as possible (at least non-toxic) that our budget would allow. We visited Urban Mattress and the owner, Kip was very helpful. We chose the Sherwood Dunlopillo Harbor luxury firm for them.
Now it’s time for my husband and I to replace our mattress so we went back to Urban Mattress since they offered such great customer service, which is so rare to find these days. We originally were looking at Sherwoods Dunlopillo line again but after researching more here I’ve determined that all of the dunlopillo mattresses have a “weak link”. They all have a 7/8" layer of hyper soft soy based quilt foam(which no one has seemed to be able to find out the density of this layer) and then another layer of 7/8" super soft soy based quilt foam which is 1.2lb density. Therefore they all have at least 1 3/4 inches or more of low density foam in their comfort layers (this wasn’t a concern for me when I was purchasing for my toddlers whom barely weigh 30 pounds but it is a concern since my husband is over 200).
We also looked at the Sherwood Evosleep line which is memory foam. In my research from other inquiries I believe this mattress line did not have any potential “weak links” however I’m not sure I will like memory foam and am worried about sleeping hot.

With all that info my first question is what are some other good stores to start my search, I live in Seguin which is between San Antonio and Austin? I am looking for something in a $2000 range as natural/organic (non-toxic) as possible. I am 125 pounds and my husband is over 200. Thanks for any information. I LOVE your site and I think my brain is on information overload!

Hi Gynna,

It’s great to see that you are looking at all the different parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase including the quality and durability of the materials rather than just focusing on the “showroom feel” of a mattress. I wish that more people shopping for a mattress were as thorough as you are :slight_smile:

If you can find out and post the information listed here about any mattress you are considering I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and components inside it and the mattress “as a whole” and let you know if I can see any potential weak links in the mattress.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. While there are many different types of memory foam and some can be more breathable and “temperature neutral” than others … memory foam in general can tend to sleep warmer for some people than other types of foam materials (such as polyfoam or latex) that are more breathable.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Austin and San Antonio areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … which it certainly seems that you are) are listed in post #2 here.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,
I had to put my mattress research off for a bit but I’m back at it.
Regarding the Evosleep Conforma 5.0 I read
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/input-on-some-sherwood-evosleep-models
and all the posts linked that I can find using the general search. This mattress doesn’t have any “weak links” but my question now is if its a good value. In the article Your Budget you state that in the $1500-$2000 range you will begin to see more high quality mattresses, the queen retails for about $1700. So do you think this mattress falls into the high quality/value category or can I get a similar mattress for a lot less?
Gynna

Hi Gynna,

Unfortunately there isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” value because there are so many variables and criteria involved that are more or less important to different people that may be very different from someone else and because the “value” of a mattress purchase is always relative to the other finalists you are considering or to the other mattresses that are available to you in the area or online.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or the exchange return options that are available to you).

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of PPP for someone else (and this is the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase) … as you mentioned the Conforma doesn’t have any obvious weak links in its design relative to more average weight ranges but for those that are in a higher weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so) I would look to reduce the thickness of any memory foam that is less than 5 lb density and for a higher density base foam as well. While a 1.5 lb base foam will “probably” be ok … In this budget range a higher density base foam would also be a more reasonable “expectation” and would also be a less risky choice in terms of durability.

Phoenix

We went back to Urban Mattress yesterday, to try the Urban Organics and the Evosleep Conforma. While there we went ahead and tried the ViSpring, going back and forth between the three ViSpring definitely won. I know ViSpring is in a totally different ball park. Being natural/nontoxic is important to me, we also like the fact that each side would have its own spring tension since we have different support needs. I know Vispring is a premium mattress and we won’t go wrong purchasing one but I also don’t want to be just buying a name. Any other natural mattresses I should be looking at to compare???

Hi Gynna,

Vi-Spring is certainly a very high quality mattress but as you probably know it’s also in a much more premium budget range than many other mattresses that use natural materials. There is more about Vi Spring and other “ultra premium” mattresses in post #2 here and post #2 here but I would be very careful to differentiate how you feel “about” the Vi Spring and how you feel “on” the Vi Spring. In some cases a mattress in this budget range may be “worth it” for a particular person that isn’t price sensitive and that has specific criteria that for some reason aren’t available in lower budget ranges but this would be unusual and in general I would need a very compelling reason that clearly indicated there was “enough” of a difference in “real life” compared to many other mattresses that may be just as suitable in terms of comfort and PPP, just as durable, and that are in much lower budget ranges to justify the higher cost.

There is also a lot more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” or “how natural is natural enough for me” and that can help you decide on the type of materials and components you are most comfortable having in your mattress or on the certifications that may be important to you. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

There are many other mattresses that use natural materials including natural fibers, latex, or innersprings (see post #2 here) but I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the forum list that are in reasonable driving distance is always a good idea before you visit any store anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the quality and durability of the materials in their mattresses (see this article), and that carry the type of “natural” mattresses that you are interested in testing in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

If you are looking at innerspring/natural fiber mattresses then there are also some other options that may be worth considering in post #4 here although most people that are attracted to more “natural” materials would probably also tend to consider 100% natural latex as an option as well.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or the exchange/return options that are available to you).

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice. The best way to know which types of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer in general will be based on some local testing of different types of mattresses to see if you have a preference of one or more types or materials or mattresses over others.

I certainly wouldn’t assume that the price of a mattress relates to how “comfortable” it will be or whether it will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how durable it will be compared to many mattresses in lower budget ranges.

Phoenix

Just wanted to let you know we finally decided on the Vispring Elite! We got the dual tension, firm for my husband and medium for me. Our mattress was delivered on Saturday. After only 2 nights on it my husband and I both have realized how badly our other mattress needed to be replaced and was hurting our backs. Also I always have to turn our AC down to 68 at night and the first night I was freezing so I only turned it down to 72 the next night and it was perfect, I can’t believe how much cooler this mattress keeps us at night. I feel like it is a little too firm for me but I am giving myself some time to adjust. My husband loves it. I will post again after we have had it awhile! Thank you for your help. I love all the information on this site! Oh and we bought from Urban Mattress, Kip is great and has exceptional customer service for anyone mattress shopping in the SA area.

Hi Gyanna,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding and for sharing your initial comments and feedback as well.

As you know you certainly made a very high quality choice and I hope you have the chance to share some additional comments and feedback once your mattress has had the chance to break in a little and you have had a little longer to adjust to the feel of a new mattress that is different from what you were used to sleeping on (see post #3 here).

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix!
I am now mattress shopping for my daughter and thought I would give a quick update on our ViSpring. My husband still loves it but just in the last few months I believe it has started to cause me some shoulder pain. I sleep on my side and think I need to invest in a topper. I emailed ViSpring to see what they recommend but am going to start researching on the site as well.
On another note I have been researching the site for a few weeks now looking for a mattress for my 3 year old daughter. Of course my first priority is non toxic and 2nd as natural as possible. I’ve narrowed it down to a few. I think My Green Mattress-Natural Escape is a great choice if we choose to go with innerspring. However I am leaning toward trying an all latex mattress. There are so many comparable mattresses out there. I was looking at Sleep On Latex and Spindle. With Spindle there is an extra inch of latex, however I think the big difference between these two (besides price) is that Spindle has 3 X 3" layers and Sleep On Latex has a 6" and a 2" layer. I realize that the 3 X 3" gives you more customization options is there anything else I should be aware of? They all have Oeko-Tex certification, GOTS certified cotton and Eco-wool I believe.

Hi Gynna.

I am glad that your husband still enjoys the ViSpring mattress and I agree that the shoulder pain when sleeping on your side could be connected with lack of pressure point relief which can be easily addressed by adding a topper to allow the shoulders to sink in more deeply and help to relieve pressure and maintain blood flow … this will usually solve a pressure issue. Of course you’d have to find the right balance of thickness/softness so as to not allow your hips/pelvis to sink in to deeply and put your lower back or pelvis out of alignment.

You did good research and based on your criteria all the combination of materials and the mattress types you listed would be good choices, provided that the firmness of the sleeping surface is in a suitable range for a growing child. They are all using “safte”, good, and durable materials (especially if you plan to use the same mattress for other children), Generally children tend to do better on firmer mattresses and for growing children that have transitioned to a larger mattress you’d want something more in the “medium” to “medium-firm” range, due to their epiphyseal plate and postural formation. Once you have decided on the types of mattress and materials you are comfortable with then you can read some of the general firmness guidelines in post #2 here for choosing a mattress for a child in different age ranges and Post #2 here that may also be helpful.

If you like the feel of an innerspring mattress, then you are correct that My Green Mattress Natural Escape would be a good choice. It uses 3" of Organic NR Dunlop (which is slighlly firmer than Talalay of the same ILD) on top of a 3 zoned pocketed coil spring system form L&P and would seem to fit most of your criteria (safe, natural, and breathable) The quilted wool cover would also give a little extra “cush” without affecting alignment and support. Girls usually tend to prefer softer surfaces than boys, but I’d still call MGM to verify that the 22-24 ILD range they list for this mattress would be suitable for your 3 years old daughter.

If you are looking at customization options for further changing the feel of the mattress when your daughter reaches teens then a component style system such as the one from SOL or Spindle would both allow for exchanging and rearranging the layers within. Generally, higher degrees of customization would become a more important consideration for older age individuals. You are comparing “good vs good” and I don’t think you could go wrong with either of them in terms of customization options, quality, durability, or value so any final choice between them would depend on the parts of your personal value equation that were most important to you and which one you were most attracted to for personal reasons.

There is no “best and worst” at this point … only what is best for YOU.

I’ll be interested in learning about your final decision and answer any other specific questions you might have.

Phoenix