matress shopping

Phoenix my husbsnd and I are looking for new adjustable beds and matresses. Looked at temperpedic icomfy and several others. We like the feel of thermipedic cloud supreme. I read another poster eho said he went to country bedding do u know their address or hours open. Or do u hsve any suggestins live in milford ohio 45150. Looking f or advise on matresses and adjustable bases. Thxs!

Hi melo,

Country Bedding is in Apple Creek, OH. and is an Amish business that doesn’t have a website or phone number. They are included in the Cleveland list here and the link there includes their address. They are a little over 200 miles away from you.

The Cincinnati list here has the better options and possibilities I’m aware of that are a little closer to you.

Phoenix

Hi phoenix I talked to rusty at sleep mattress factory in franklin he was very nice he said he uses same memory foam as temperpedic but he said latex was a better lasting matress and can be flipped. Hes foam comes from spencerville. We liked the feel of temper pedic cloud supreme adjustable beds. I’m so confused we want the soft feeling but a matress that holds up. He says he will give 10 yr warranty on foam but dtill thinks latex is better quality. Any suggestions. His pricing was good. He says you can ma ke latex to feel as soft as memory foam any suggestions.thxs .

Hi melo,

It wouldn’t be the same memory foam as Tempurpedic because Tempurpedic uses it’s own memory foam but it may be the same in terms or quality/density.

In general terms … latex is a more durable material than memory foam even in a one sided mattress and if it is also made two sided and can be flipped then this can also add to the useful life of a mattress as well. Post #3 here and the posts it links to has more about two sided mattresses. There is also more about the factors that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here.

Flexible Foam has a foam manufacturing plant in Spencerville so this could be the source of his foam. Like most North American foam manufacturers … they are CertiPur certified*.

ADMIN NOTE: *Removed 404 link|Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/for-industry/find-a-foam-supplier/flexible-foam/

Any adjustable bed can be used under a mattress that is suitable for use with an adjustable base and they all perform similar functions. I would focus first on first comparing mattresses and treat the purchase of an adjustable bed under it as a separate purchase (post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to may be helpful with this).

Memory foam is a completely different animal than latex and they are not really comparable. Some people prefer one and some prefer the other (and some prefer a combination of both). The choice between them would be based on your personal preferences. There is more about the differences between them in post #2 here.

Softness and firmness is relative to each person but he’s right that latex comes in a very wide range of softness/firmness levels from ultra plush to ultra firm. The choice between different materials though is always based on your own personal preferences but regardless of which type of comfort layers you prefer it’s important to make sure they are good quality durable materials.

Phoenix

How do I know if they are good quality materials. His latex is from spain he says they don’t make latex in us. He says his foam is msde in spencerville which u say isn’t same as temperpedic. He says if we wanted foam he uses g flex 400 4 lb. He said bottom would be orthopedic foam polyutethane 5 inch or more depending how soft we we wanted then 3 inche s memory foam. He says to put more than 3 inches memory foam wouldn’t help. I’m so confused. We want a soft bed but durable… Since we liked the feel of temperpedic supreme cloud what can u suggest. I called places on ur list they recommended icomfy. He said latex is either 22-26 ilds or 28 to 32ilds. Please help! We need beds soon. Thxs

Hi melo,

The tutorial post includes links to several articles or forum posts you can use as guidelines but the information and links that are included in the durability post (post #4 here) would really be all you need.

I would treat all latex as a good quality material relative to other types of foam materials such as memory foam or polyfoam (you can read more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here) and for a one sided mattress I would use 4 lb memory foam (or gel memory foam) and 1.8 lb polyfoam as good minimum density guidelines (outside of about “an inch or so” of lower quality/density materials that will have little effect on durability).

4 lb gflex gel memory foam is a medium quality/density memory foam (it’s 4 lb or higher memory foam) and it would be suitable for most weight ranges although if you were in a higher weight range I would minimize the use of 4 lb memory foams and lean towards higher density memory foam (regardless of which manufacturer you were considering).

If you are testing mattresses locally then your own personal testing and experience is the most effective way to compare the “feel” or performance of other mattresses compared to the Tempurpedic Supreme but I would suggest using a common set of standards to evaluate each mattress rather than trying to use one mattress as your reference point which would make your comparisons much more difficult and subjective/inaccurate (see post #46 here).

You may be making this unnecessarily complex or technical and I would focus on your actual testing and experience to decide on which mattress is the best match for you in terms of PPP and make sure you know the specifics of all the layers so you can compare them to the guidelines to make sure they don’t have any obvious weak links and so you can make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

The most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is how good a match it is in terms of PPP. No matter how good the quality of the materials … if it isn’t a good match for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences it would have little value to you if you can’t sleep on it comfortably.

The next most important part is to make sure that the mattresses that work well for you don’t have any weak links in terms of quality/durability. If a mattress is a “perfect match” for you but uses lower quality materials and is only likely to last you for a few months or a very few years or the useful life doesn’t reflect the price you paid then it also wouldn’t be very good value.

After these two … I would consider how the mattress compares to others that are similar and the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you to make your final choice between your finalists.

For reference … the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme uses 2" of 4.1 lb memory foam over 2" of 5.3 lb memory foam over a 7" polyfoam base layer. This may give you some sense of comparable mattresses but I would keep in mind that different versions and firmness levels of the same type of foam can be different from each other so while a mattress that uses the same or similar density materials would be fairly equivalent in terms of quality/durability … it may not feel the same and this is the part that you need to test.

This may be what he uses in his mattresses but latex comes in a much wider range of firmness levels from the low teens (or sometimes even lower) to the high 40’s or 50’s depending on the type or the manufacturer of the latex.

Phoenix