Mattress Advice for Large Side Sleeper with Back Issues

Hi dalesimp21.

Welcome to the Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing this information. Not only do you and your wife have different preferences, but you have very different needs due to your weight differential and, in your case, your specific needs regarding your back. You were on the right track with seeking out different firmness levels, even if the Sleep Number didn’t work out for you. I would suggest continuing with the idea of a split left/right configuration. The mattress can be built so that the total thickness of the mattress is the same for each side, which means that there would be no difference in elevation, and with a suitable tight fitted quilted cover, the “split” transition area between sides is usually unnoticeable for most people. You can read more here about side by side layering in post #2.

One of the beautiful things about latex is that even in the softer ILDs, it has a higher resilience and is more “supportive” than other foams; it will also help support the more recessed areas of your body, such as the lumbar, that need “filling in.” This is important, especially with your back injury, as side sleepers have a curvier sleeping profile with deeper gaps to “fill in” to spread your weight out on the mattress. Side sleepers generally need thicker and/or softer comfort layers to adequately cushion their pressure points.

If you choose the correct ILD for your preferences and needs, you shouldn’t end up with pain issues (beyond the regular aches that can be associated with breaking-in a new bed). And, if you pick a split configuration, you can absolutely get the support and comfort each of you prefers. A number of our Trusted Members offer split configurations. Also, they are extremely knowledgable and compete with the best in the industry. If you present them with your sleeping specs, comfort/support needs, etc. they will be able to help you choose the best fit both product and ILD wise.

Off the top of my head, I would suggest exploring options with the following…

Arizona Premium
Sleep EZ
FloBeds
Latex Mattress Factory
Nest Bedding

It’s possible I forgot to add someone so definitely do look through our directory as well.

And, I would also suggest reading the Mattress Shopping Tutorial and the Mattress Durability Guidelines to help you as you explore your mattress options and talk with the experts.

I hope this helps!
NikkiTMU