Mattress and cover thoughts

Pretty soon we are going to pull the trigger on the below mattress for our three year old in full size.

He is in the process of being potty trained so we believe we need some type of pee protection and just looking at the site on what they offer there is a Wool Puddle Pad

Which seems like it would get the job done.

Does anyone have any experience with that wool puddle pad? I do not see it listed in these forums anywhere and hoping that the mattress and the pad are an ok combo. Or are there others like it that may be better?

Hi sozzeled,

I don’t have any personal experience with it and hadn’t noticed it before but since you’ve mentioned it I’ve added it to the list of options for puddle pads in the mattress protector reference post here.

I would keep in mind that different types of puddle pads can have different densities of wool and different degrees of water resistance (they aren’t "waterproof) so I would talk to them about the thickness/density and how water resistant it is to help you decide whether it would be a suitable choice for your child.

Phoenix

Thanks for the links, I will have to research the pad and look through your links. I notice much cheaper prices with those options which will be good enough for what I am looking for.

Thanks again

Hi sozzeled,

I hope you have the chance to let us know what you end up deciding and how it works for you when you receive it.

Phoenix

We are having a change of heart and probably going the way of Brooklyn Bedding. Latex top with Certipur poly foam on bottom. I like the idea of a very firm mattress for the toddler. I’ll let you guys know how we decide.

On another note my wife co-sleeps with out 10 month old on our novasbed Aria. Now after I informed her that its not the safest thing to do b/c of gasses and sinking in the mattress she is freaking out and looking for other mattresses. Hopefully we come to another solution and she starts sleeping in her crib sooner then later b/c mattresses are a big purchase and the purchase of a new mattress does not seem like the best approach.

Hi sozzeled,

You are certainly looking at two very good options although they are very different from each other and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

There is a great deal of controversy about cosleeping as you are probably well aware but there is a list of some very good articles and information here that may be helpful and informative. Because a baby’s needs are different from an adult’s needs in a mattress it may be worth considering a cosleeper crib that can be firmer instead of bedsharing on the same mattress.

Phoenix

Yes we are well aware. We have a co-sleeper by the bed but nothing like those pictures of the co-sleeper crib. That is a pretty good idea, thanks for the link to that site! Unfortunately our baby will only sleep in the cosleeper for an hour at a time. So she spends about 50% sleeping on our mattress and 50% sleeping in there. We keep trying new things as we know sleeping on the mattress is not the correct solution. That co-sleeping crib is an ingenious idea.

Boy how things change quick while searching for a mattress. The wife is going to win the war and we will more then likely be choosing the Pure Echo Organic Mattress which I stated first. She wants to keep it as natural as possible.

Does anyone know of any big differences between what Naturepedic has to offer and what I can get with the Pure Echo. They both seem on the same level other than price.

Hi sozzeled,

While I can’t speak to any differences in how they may feel (I’ve never compared them in person) … if you are comparing the Pure Echo to the Naturepedic Quilted Organic Cotton Deluxe Mattress then the biggest differences between them in terms of materials and design would be that the Pure Echo uses a pocket coil and includes wool and cotton layers above the spring while the Naturepedic uses an offset coil and only uses cotton batting and doesn’t include any wool.

There is more about the different types of innersprings in this article. In very general terms wool is more resilient and temperature regulating than cotton.

Phoenix

As always, thanks again for the reply.