Mattress and Pillow Protectors Revisited

I’m definitely going to need a new mattress protector for my new latex mattress. Thanks Phoenix, it helps to use the right search word to get the best search results. Phoenix again has done most of the legwork. Post #89 and Post #14

I’m leaning towards the cheaper cotton terry surface polyurethane membrane type protectors. If this does not work out I may move up to one of the wool protectors, i.e., St. Dormeir $160. queen shipped.
Does the St. Dormeir change the feel of the mattress? How does it stand up to multiple machine washings?

The cotton Cozypure is another option. It appears to be a thicker than the others, more like a pad. $171. queen shipped.

Amazon has the best prices on the membrane style protectors for TN, higher in states where they collect sales tax, free shipping on orders of $25.00 or more. Having Amazon Prime also helps with free shipping if the item is <$25. If you have a Discover card you can also use your Discover cashback to reduce the cost. Amazon’s prices jump around quite a bit. Here’s a neat little price history tool you can use with Amazon and Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. The Camelizer

Most of these have a polyurethane membrane and a cotton terry surface.

Queen Sizes
Luna Premium $39.95 shipped, made in USA, 10 yr. warranty; vinyl, pvc and phthalate free

Sleep Tite $33.99 shipped, vinyl, pvc and phthalate free, cotton terry surface with pu membrane 15 yr warranty

LinenSpa $23.95, cotton terry surface with pu membrane,15 yr warranty

Protect-a-Bed $49.99 shipped, cotton terry surface with pu membrane,10 yr. warranty

BedGuard Ultimate $34.99 shipped, cotton terry surface with pu membrane, 20 yr warranty. Amazon has this listed as the BedCare by National Allergy Mattress Protector but the picture is the BedGuard Ultimate. I’m almost certain it’s the BedGuard protector.

SafeRest Classic $24.95; ultra thin polyester cover with pu membrane, 3 yr warranty

SafeRest Premium $29.95 shipped, cotton terry cover with pu membrane, 10 year warranty

Hard to choose between them since they all have their fair share of 1 star reviews. The main complaints are not waterproof, not waterproof after washing, sleeps hot, crunchy, off-gassing from the polyurethane membrane, and membrane permanently stuck to itself after drying.

We also need some new pillow protectors for our latex pillows. Here’s a few from Amazon.

Standard Sizes

Guardmax $10.99/2, polyester with PU backing

SafeGuard Premium $12.95/1, cotton terry surface with PU backing, 10 yr warranty

Protect-a-Bed $25.99/2, polyester with PU backing, 5 yr. warranty, good reviews.

Aller-Ease $11.46/2, polyester with PU backing

Luna Premium $12.95/1, cotton terry cover with PU backing, 10 yr. warranty

Sleep Tite $16.99/2, cotton terry cover with PU backing, 15 yr warranty

Here’s a bit of trivia.
I never gave this much thought until I started looking at waterproof mattress and pillow protectors. How much water does the average person lose when we sleep? So I Googled it and here’s some of the info I found.

To sum it up, depending on how hot and humid you keep your bedroom, how thick you layer your blankets, type of nightwear, your mattress, and how many hours you sleep you might lose as much as 1/2 lb. sweating at night. One gallon (128 oz) of water at room temp weighs ~8.34 lbs. So 1/2 lb is ~7.8 oz of water, or ~231 ml. Add this to water lost during respiration, and you get an average total water loss of 1.5 to 2.0 lbs. each night. If you get up to use the bathroom during the middle of the night, add more fluid loss to your total. It surprised me that we lose that much water just breathing.

But everyone is different, and then there’s night sweats. My wife has been having hot flashes for 10 years. I had my gall bladder removed 2 weeks ago. Most of my gall bladder attacks would happen in the middle of the night. I would be drenched in sweat. If you are having night sweats here’s a good site for info. Home - International Hyperhidrosis Society | Official Site

Hi bobP,

Thanks for some great links.

The Camelizer sounds really interesting but unfortunately it isn’t compatible with Firefox 22 yet so hopefully they will update it. I was looking forward to giving it a try.

This agrees with some of the most authoritative information I’ve read as well (see here) which actually developed some testing equipment to measure moisture loss in different conditions and came up with an amount of between 200 - 300 ml per night. This is not actually perspiration but just normal loss of moisture. Any perspiration would add to these totals. They found that 1/3 of this was emitted through respiration and the remaining 2/3 was transmitted through the body surface. Of this 2/3 … they found that 75% was typically absorbed by the bedding and 25% was absorbed by the mattress although this of course would depend on the type of bedding and mattress protector. They also suggested that after about 20 minutes of sleep the relative humidity levels against the body stabilizes and shouldn’t exceed 65% and that both moisture and humidity transport and absorption in the upper mattress layers are the key to transporting humidity and the heat it carries to the environment.

For most people these seem to work out fine. Several of them are more stretchy than others (on the surface rather than the skirt) and have less risk of creating a “drum effect” on the mattress. Some of the stretch knit versions are also polyester and I have talked to people that have had some issues with these in terms of temperature regulation so like you I would also focus on natural fibers or rayon fibers if sleeping temperature is an issue although all of the membrane type have a greater tendency to increase temperature than other protectors that allow for more airflow.

The St Dormeir will change the feel slightly (more on softer layers than firmer layers) but it is quite stretchy so this would be less than other types of wool protectors that are either thicker or less stretchy. I don’t think it would be an issue for most people unless they were very sensitive to a slight change in “feel”. It is also very durable and if you follow their care instructions it should last for many years. These are consistently among the highest rated mattress protectors by people I know and talk to that specialize in bedding and focus on the highest quality products.

I added a link to your post in the mattress protector post as well so people can find the results of your research.

Thanks again for adding some great links and information :slight_smile:

Phoenix

What about mattress protection for memory foam mattresses? I’m assuming something that is more breathable over something that is waterproof would be better. Is this correct? However, waterproof is desirable, in those occasions when you may accidentally spill something on the mattress. Is there a happy medium in that regard?

Hi cviz,

The same tradeoffs would apply for a memory foam mattress that they would for any other type of mattress (see post #89 here).

For most people the thin “membrane” type of protector would be a good tradeoff for those who want something waterproof but has little effect on the feel of the mattress and don’t mind that it may increase sleeping temperature for some people because it is less breathable. For those where a water resistant (vs waterproof) protector is OK then a wool protector can help with sleeping temperature but may have more effect on the response of the memory foam. For those who don’t need waterproof or water resistant and only need something that can absorb moisture and body oils and small spills and is highly breathable and feels like a stretchy sheet with little effect on the mattress then a stretch cotton protector would make a good choice.

Phoenix

I went with the cheapest cotton terry surface mattress protector, the LinenSpa for $23.95. How much difference can there be between this one and the $49.95 Protect-a-Bed. If I do not like it I’m not out that much cash. Not sure if this would be a good deciding factor on which to purchase, but the Protect-a-Bed had 24% 1 star reviews and the LinenSpa 9%. Most of the bad reviews were for not being 100% waterproof with children. I’m getting up there in age, just went on medicare, but I can still hold my water at night.

I also ordered the Aller-Ease $11.46/2, polyester with PU backing, pillow protectors. I have had pillow protectors with the polyester surface and the cotton terry surface and prefer the polyester surface. The biggest problem I have had with pillow protectors is the zippers breaking.

Some complaints were for the polyurethane membrane sticking to itself after drying. I think these reviewers did not read the washing instructions which state to wash in cold or warm water and to dry on low heat or just tumble dry.

I will post a review of these products after I have used and washed them.

Hi BobP,

I have the same sense as you do.

That would be great … thanks :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’ve been reading all the posts here regarding mattress protectors and pads, but am running into some confusion trying to determine actual fiber content by visiting manufacturer sites. Some sites only provide info on the fabric for the top layer and not the sides; where fiber content for the side/skirt is provided, it seems that it is often polyester.

I am looking for a thin mattress protector made of 100% natural fiber (e.g., cotton/wool) that does not contain polyester on the sides. It doesn’t have to be waterproof, just water resistant.

I’d appreciate suggestions from other members who have found/used something fitting the bill. I’ve considered the St. Dormeir, but, have read conflicting information that the sides are sometimes polyester and sometimes cotton. I wouldn’t mind using a wool “puddle pad” but do not want to significantly change the feel of the mattress — all the ones I’ve seen online are 1/4" thick which seems like it would definitely affect the feel more than a thinner fabric protector.

Any feedback from members on these or other products? Pros and Cons would be great.

Thanks!

Hey Cosimo,

Welcome to our Mattress Forum ! Thanks for your question :slight_smile: .

Phoenix had some great insights regarding “natural materials” mattress protectors in a previous post topic, Requesting mattress help in south florida post #89, a good starting point for those with questions similar to yours.

As far as St. Dormeir’s mattress protectors, according to their web site the materials used are all natural: “St Dormeir mattress protectors are made by quilting high quality virgin wool between two layers of special, chemical free cotton. This cotton is woven in a jersey knit and is used as the skirt that goes around the sides of the protector. It has an elastic band around the bottom edge for a secure fit.” I don’t have a personal preference, but you may want to consider one of our Trusted Members’ mattress protecters as well. Besides your preference for all natural fibers, what size are you looking?

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks for finding out the info on the St. Dormeir! Much appreciated. Thank you, too, for referring me back to post #89 – I had read that but didn’t add some of those vendors to my “list” to check out.

Also a great idea to see whether some of the TMU members carry natural fiber mattress protectors – I’ll take a look!

I need a protector for a full-size bed.

I have tried the Safe-Rest Premium and the Slumbershield Terry Top – both are nice protectors with thin cotton terry tops and a panel for moisture-proofing, but both also have polyester sides/skirt. Due to an autoimmune condition, contact with synthetic fibers results in a rash – even when I’m only close to them, as with the side panels on the mattress protector. Hence my search for something completely natural.

Hey Cosimo,

Thanks for the kind words on the post answer topic Mattress and Pillow Protectors Revisited :slight_smile: . Ok, so you are searching for a mattress protector for a full-sized bed, 100% natural fibers containing no polyester on the sides and water resistant.

Just curious, with your bedding materials, i.e. sheets, pillow cases, blankets, which natural fibers do you prefer?

Have you had a chance to research any of our Trusted Members’ mattress protectors? Was wondering what you may have found and what you may be leaning towards. I’ll take a look too and see what sorts of combined comparisons we can formulate, this would be useful information for other TMU consumer members. Will check back in on this soon…

Cheers,
Sensei

I prefer cotton and wool — which, fortunately, aren’t too difficult to find!

I DID research TMU members and, it turns out, Mattress Makers carries the St. Dormeir mattress protector and is within driving distance, so I will be going there to pick one up this weekend!

Other members also carry cotton protectors, but I think the wool/cotton combo will be a nice one.

Thanks again!

Excellent choice on the mattress protector, Cosimo! Looking forward to hearing how the St. Dormeir works for you, know that other TMU consumer members would enjoy your point of view as well.

Thanks,
Sensei :slight_smile:

As someone who is a sweater, from what i am seeing is I either have to shell out like $100+ for a wool protector or im out of luck.

Because all the other water resistant / proof ones have the backers which sleep hot. Most of them turn to crap to o from a lot of the reviews I see because the membrane breaks down.

Im about to just strap 2 or 3 fitted sheets on the bed and hope that does it lol

I would agree that the waterproof mattress protectors have the potential to increase heat, but they ARE somewhat breathable. I sleep hot and have found that mine doesn’t consistently add heat. It depends on how thick the blanket is that I’m using (thicker = more heat trapped in the bedding envelope). And the plus side is that they are WAY less expensive than the all cotton or cotton/wool protectors so if you do need to replace it down the line it would take 3-4 replacements to equal the cost of a single wool/cotton or all cotton protector.

I think you have to look at your objectives, needs, and values, e.g., the “PPP”. If you are looking for all natural materials that regulate temperature, wool seems to be at the top of the list. The wool/cotton protectors are comparatively expensive, though, as you’ve noted. An alternative might be to buy a wool moisture pad – these are made from needle felted wool that is highly water resistant (more so than a wool/cotton protector), doesn’t add heat, and is pretty thin so won’t affect the feel of the mattress as much. You can buy the raw needle felted wool at Foam Order for a fraction of the price of a finished moisture barrier/puddle pad and would then just need to cut the fabric down to the size of your mattress. It would fit under the sheet and would likely be more comfortable and effective than adding layers of sheets. Just a thought!

Yea i am just worried about sweating through and staining the mattress. My last bed I had a few nights where I woke up and my upper body, bed and pillows were wet to touch. Like someone dumped water on me. It stained the mattress too. I only had a fitted sheet on my old bed though. So i have no experience with protectors or anything.

Only happened during about a 2 months period but I don’t want to risk it that happening again. So even one of the cheapy cotton ones would be good enough for that?

Hello Dell,

I think the effectiveness of a cotton pad would depend partly on its thickness/weight and partly on its construction.

For a weight example, one layer of fabric, take our double knit for example, is 480GSM. That is heavy and thick for only one layer of fabric! Compare it it to a jersey t-shirt or bed sheet at 180 GSM. Still, the cotton double knit is only 1/8" thick compared to a felted wool sheet at 1/4" thick. Interestingly enough, for a construction example, a fabric like our laminate jersey fabric at 1/16" would give you more moisture protection than the cotton because of the laminate layer sandwiched between two layers of lightweight jersey.

When considering bed protection, also consider how you want to maintain it. Do you want to have something you can throw in the washer? i.e. cotton Do you mind hand washing it occassionally? i.e. wool

Thanks to this site, I finally made a decision on a mattress and ordered the Brooklyn signature hybrid in firm. Also, because of the posts on this site, I ordered a Luma base for the mattress.

Now I need a mattress protector and I’m struggling to make a decision.

I have a 2 year old and a 1 year old who will usually find their way in our bed, so in order of importance to me: I need it to be water proof, not change the feel on the bed too much, not “noisy”.

Everyone here has any experience or thoughts on Nest Bedding COOL mattress protector?