Mattress base

I am looking at a bed online that has the following features to it and need some clarifying information. 2" latex, 1" gel-infused foam, and micro coils with 1353 coils all on a 6" base that is soy infused high density. I understand that the first 2 items listed are for the comfort levels, but not sure what the 6" base is. Thank you for your help

Hi jwentz0509,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The terms “comfort layers”, “transition layers” or “support layers”, are mostly just a useful way to categorize the componentry within a mattress relative to each other. There’s a bit more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful.

Regarding the product you mentioned, all of the layers of a mattress work in unison, but the uppermost layers will contribute the most to comfort. For the latex, you’d want to know the type (Dunlop or Talalay), the blend (natural, synthetic, or a bend of the two) and possibly the plushness (ILD). For the memory foam, you’d want to find out the density. For the 6" base, this would be a polyfoam core, which would be the bottom part of the mattress, and whose primary purpose would be to provide the majority of your support. You’d want to learn the density of this foam.

When analyzing any mattress, make sure to find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress.

I hope that answers your question.

Phoenix