Mattress Buying Advice

Hello Mattress Underground!

I’ve been exhaustively reading these forums and other mattress buying forums, articles, etc. the last month in search of a new mattress and am now at the point where I need some advice. I’ll start of with my statistics: I am 6’0" ~240lbs and have narrow shoulders and am wider through my stomach and hips and I sleep 100% on my side.

For the last 8 years I have been sleeping on whatever the cheapest “firm” mattress was I bought from Mattress Depot at the time with a 2" “medium” firm dunlop mattress topper and have found it does a good enough job, although nothing special. I do love the feel of latex, especially compared to memory foam, so I decided to try out an all latex matress this time around. I ended up buying the Sleep on Latex Pure Green Organic Latex Mattress in “Medium” firmness. I’m not sure exactly what the ILD is for the latex layers in this mattress, but I’m guessing a firm 6" base and medium 2" top ‘comfort’ layer. I like the mattress okay—it seems good in the “support” area and I think it puts me in decent alignment, yet I didn’t feel much relief for pressure points, etc. and it was slightly too firm for my comfort level. I messaged SleepOnLatex about my concerns and they suggested adding their 3" “soft” topper (20 ILD based on their rating system) to remedy my problem. However, this layer totally threw me out of alignment and I slept uncomfortably, tossing and turning, and woke up with significant pain, especially in my hip area. Definitely think it was too soft and too thick for how soft it was so not supportive enough. I’ve messaged them again about this issue and imagine I will end up returning both.

So now I’m wondering what to try next… I’m thinking of doing a custom build (probably hybrid due to cost, but am considering all latex) but am a little stumped on how to get to the middle of my too firm but in alignment and too soft problem. My current thought on build from bottom to top from Arizona Premium Mattress is 8" Combi-Zone Pocket Coils by L&P, either 2" or 3" “medium” dunlop transition layer and either a 3" “medium” or 2" “soft” talalay top comfort layer. I know for sure a 3" “soft” layer is out because that’s what totally threw me out of alignment… but what should be my next step? Increase the dunlop transition layer by 1" and try a 2" soft talalay layer? Or shift from a 3" soft comfort layer to a 3" medium comfort layer?

I would love yall’s input on this… I would try out multiple combinations but my budget is not super vast and also don’t want to continually return latex layers that will just be discarded.

Thanks,
Grey

Hi Greyperson.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Thank you for including all of your statistics! That is very helpful.

Without knowing exactly what you feel on a mattress, it sounds to me that you would have benefitted from a 1" soft layer as opposed to a 3". Despite being a side sleeper, it appears you may benefit from the firm base layer/medium-firm transition layer and then a soft or medium soft comfort layer (based on your needs and preferences, of course). This is a very “rough draft” and can take the form of coils + transition foam layer + comfort foam layer or a base foam + transition foam + comfort foam.

A good starting point for a comfort layer is 2" which allows you to add thickness (or take it away) as you do your configuration testing and/or as your support and alignment needs adjust.There are also a number of forum posts and threads about mattresses and sleepers with larger builds in a forum title search on heavy (you can just click this) will bring up many of them. Some examples include post #2 here and post #2 here and this thread

Ken at Arizona Premium is an excellent resource as well, and would be a great asset in helping you determine your best build.

Hoping this helps you get your DIY journey off the ground!
NikkiTMU

Thanks so much for the response NikkiTMU!

Based on your advice I think I will try starting with a 3" medium Dunlop transition layer and then a 2" medium-soft Talalay top/comfort layer and then if needed I could add a 1" or 2" soft layer.

I definitely will give Ken a call though and see what his thoughts are based on the foams/components he works with.

I am wondering now though, does anyone know if the Combi-Zone Quantum Edge Elite is suitable as a base layer for someone of my weight (6’0" 240lbs) under ~5" of latex? I know I have read some things about some coil systems being not suitable for heavier people but I haven’t seen anything about that one. I will keep searching though and also ask if Ken knows.

Also curious if anyone has thoughts about adding a base layer of foam under pocket coils? Based on my research it seems like some people recommend it and some people think it’s not necessary. I will also keep searching on this topic as well.

Thanks!

Hi greyperson.

I look forward to hearing how your layering experience goes, and helping you to troubleshoot in any way that I can.

I did a little research and found that Ken mentioned here to a 5’10" 260 lb sleeper that L&P Quantum Edge® Elite Combi-Zone pocket coils are more than sufficient for your weight range. He also had some interesting thoughts about the ideal ILD for Dunlop layers that you may find relevant to your own experience.

As for foam under the coils, this is meant to offer stabilization to the coil system and is generally preferential. Some people like it, some people don’t, and usually in a proper encasement it’s not entirely necessary.

NikkiTMU