Mattress comfort layers - latex

Hey lotus14 and mnn4532,

I am not sure I can really add a lot to this conversation.

As I read both of these situations, I think we are talking about different things. The 19ILD talalay blended topper is one of the best selling toppers in all the latex business, so I think it is entirely appropriate for many people and there is not an ā€œoverall problem with 19 ild blended latexā€.

For you mnn4532, you have posted this issue several times, and I am sorry it is not working out for you. Statistically speaking, I usually do not think its a ā€œquality of foamā€ issue, like softening too much. But it is not to say that it could be an issue with that particular core of foam, making it break down too fast, just no way to tell. I think that this combination is not the right fit for you and your particular needs. I am not saying I have the right answer, only you can determine what you need to go on top of the leggett coils.

Lotus. of course ā€œrapid softeningā€ does make me concerned, but still it is really hard to tell, wasnā€™t this the topper w/o a tag? Which doesnā€™t mean its 2nd quality, only curious if it was averaging closer to 17 than 19ā€¦just a thought.

Sorry if I canā€™t bring any closure for you, but it does seem you will need to try a higher density topper to get you the right mix of support and pressure relief.

Thanks
Sensei

Thanks Sensei,

Good to hear that 19 ILD blended is so common and rare to have a problem with.

Yes, itā€™s the same w/o tag 19 ILD blended. Perhaps Iā€™m just surprised at the change in feel. Itā€™s more like the air goes out of whichever side I sleep on for a few days even with (an admittedly lite) cover, hence the feeling of losing support. Itā€™s probably just normal settling.

It IS on top of 24, then 28 talalay. Perhaps it just doesnā€™t have enough support from underneath. I know some sellers use all talalay, but most of the recommendations Iā€™ve gotten strongly suggest dunlop for the base layers. Sleeping Organic REALLY wanted me to use dunlop for the bottom two.

Perhaps I just need to exchange the 24 for a 36, 28, 19 setup? Sleep EZ suggested 38, 31, 20 with at least the base as dunlop. When I suggested 31, 31, 20 to them they strongly suggested both 31s as dunlop.

If I have to I could go with Arizonaā€™s thin but much stronger cotton/wool cover as well though I really like the feel of the thin, stretchy knit cotton Iā€™m on.

Thatā€™s Interesting, my toppers also do not have tags on the them, just 19 and 28 written in marker. I guess I will have to just try something else, thanks for your reply.

As Sensei pointed out in another thread, the tags are often not present because the layers are split, so likely unrelated.

Iā€™m going to give it a little more time. If the 19 I have continues to feel like the air is going out of it rapidly, I may switch to Sleep EZā€™s Radium talalay. Just hate to spend the money and effort to return these layers when I really donā€™t know thereā€™s anything wrong with them. Could be just normal settling but I donā€™t want to find out itā€™s not months down the road.

Edit: Ok apparently 19 ILD Talalay is the next step down in softness from 20 ILD Dunlop, so Iā€™ll give that a try first before 14 ILD Talalay.

Hello, I would like to know if 14 ILD Blended Talalay topper will be as soft as memory foam? The feel will obviously be different, but just want to know if it will sink as much.

I bought a puregreen medium firmness mattress from amazon that has 6" 34 ILD dunlop with 2" 20 ILD dunlop on top. Iā€™m a side sleeper with wide shoulders and I woke up with sore shoulders every morning. I tried adding another 2" of 20 ILD dunlop, but that didnā€™t really help. Recently, I tried 2" memory on top, and it was perfect in terms of pressure relief. No more sore shoulder! The only problem is it sleeps warm, and now I wake up sweating. Iā€™m thinking of giving 2" of 14 ILD Blended Talalay from mayersbedding a try. Will this be closer to the memory foam topper and softer than the 20 ILD dunlop? Many thanks!

Hey comp666,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :). Thanks for the post.

I am going to answer a couple of things then give you some background links that may explain things better.

The short answer is yes the 14ild will most likley feel softer, but its more complicated than that. Also 19ILD Talalay will not reallly feel similar to the 20ILD Dunlop latex, more info on both of these points below and in associated links. I think 19ILD talalay is good choice to try for your particular situation.

Latex and memory foam are very different materials and canā€™t really be meaningfully compared to each other. You can read more about this at this post #2 here.

Latex is highly resilient, has a more ā€œon the mattressā€ feel to it, and responds to pressure. What you feel on latex stays the same over time. You can read more about the pros and cons of latex in this article and more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Also, what was the density / ild / brand of the memory foam you tried?

Another point, even though latex is ā€œcoolerā€ than memory foam, generally speakingā€¦putting a plush talalay topper on mattress can sometimes ā€œfeelā€ hot becasue the latex envelops your body, thus covering more surface areaā€¦leading some people to love the feel but still be a bit too hot. Just FYI so you know going into it.

Thanks again, and please donā€™t hesitate to ask any other questions you may have.

Sensei

2" thick, 3 pound density, by Sure2Sleep on Amazon.

mayersbedding recommended me 3" 19 ILD blended talalay topper for a 175 lb male so thatā€™s what I ordered. Hope it works!

Hereā€™s one interesting thing I found today when I decided to take some pictures of my back when side sleeping. My spine/legs/neck formed the straight line, commonly found in mattress ads (cough purple), with both the 2" 20 ILD dunlop topper AND the 2" memory foam. Despite this, the dunlop causes more pressure on my shoulders. If I stacked the 2" Dunlop on top of the 2" memory foam, my hips sagged into the mattress, breaking the straight line. I can see how playing with mattresses can be an interesting hobby!

Hey comp666,

Thanks for the update, 2" 3lb memory foam. I like the 3" 19ild Talalay recommendation. Now you will have a 3lb memory foam topper, Talalay and dunlopā€¦a basic representation of most ā€œmattress toppersā€ā€¦really interesting about the pic of alignment of body.

Uh ohā€¦hobbyā€¦or rabbit hole?

Is copper infused talalay as comfortable and as durable as it would be if the copper were not infused?

Hi Kerra,

Thanks for the post. The short answer is yes it is just as comfortable and just as durable. The Talalay process is a very robust process, and it has proven to keep all of its benefits with the additives the Talalay companies have tried over the yearsā€¦graphite, copper, FR chemicals, etc. Now, that is not to say that some chemists can find some minor differences in durability and loss of height between formulas, but generally speaking, it will feel very much the same to most consumers

All the latex you are likely to encounter is a good and durable material. The addition of copper used as a filler (such as TGs ā€œTalalay mineralā€) is generally used to improve the processability and heat transfer (due to the increased surface area) of the PCM. The benefits of Cu used as a filler in both memory foam and latex are more connected with its thermo-conductive properties and even though copper infused latex is advertised as having side ā€œhealth benefitsā€ (such as copper bracelets) to my knowledge these benefits have not been proven in copper infused foams. The main benefit for adding Cu to latex or memory foams would be for thermal conductivity (which generally is not an issue with latex, to begin with) so I personally would not make a priority to choose one over the other (with or without copper).

I hope this helps you in your search:)
Phoenix

First time poster hereā€¦the site has been a wealth of information and helped me end my year long search for a new mattress, but now I need to tweak the comfort layer.
In March we purchased a one piece king PLB nutrition mattress, it sits on an adjustable frame. I am a side sleeper, 5.4 ft and 150lb. My husband is primarily a back sleeper due to sleep apnea and using a cpap machine, he is 6ft and 225lb.
I have back issues and can only sleep on my back if on an incline, usually about 3 am my husband removes the cpap and then will roll to his side.
After a couple of weeks of the mattress alone I could not side sleep due to sore hips and knee pain.
At this point I purchased the 2 inch soft PLB topper, while itā€™s helped I still have some pressure pointsā€¦in hindsight maybe I should have gotten the 3 inch. Now I am wanting to add another inch of latex, either on top of the 2 inch or directly under it.
I emailed Mayerā€™s bedding and inquired about the soft 20-24 ILD Talalay, based on my size he recommended that would work as a medium soft, or go with the super soft if I wanted more plush. I have briefly thought about the blended but then I read on this page that some people had issues with the blended being too soft.
So now I am trying to choose on the non blended. Will the 20-24 ILD under the 14 still have some softness and still keep my posture in line or is 1 inch under the soft not going to have any impact ? So many options and I am struggling to make the choice.
I wanted to add for my husband he could literally sleep on cinder blocks or a marshmallow bed and it would all feel the same to him .
Thanks for any input and sorry for the super long post.

Hi Britexmom,

Welcome to our mattress forum :).

Great post, thanks for sending.

I am very familiar w the PLB nutrition, high quality but not surprising you need to tweak the comfort layers.

ā€œWill the 20-24 ILD under the 14 still have some softness and still keep my posture in line or is 1 inch under the soft not going to have any impact ?ā€

The 20-24 ild under will have some softness and will help keep you posture in line but your instinct on 1 inch losing some impact is true to some extent. Generally speaking the firmer comfort layers below softer are usually the same or greater height.

Question - The 14 ild soft plb topper is blended, correct?

The 20-24 ild you may buy is Talalay 100% natural?

You may want to consider a 2" 20-24 just to be safe, but only you know of this is necessary.

Also the natural Talalay is bit more dense when one compares same ild blended vs. natural. But the 24 ild blended will work below the 14ild you are already on.

Let me know of you have any other questions.

Thanks
Sensei

Thank you for your response. I am not sure if the topper I already have is blended or not, to be honest I just purchased it because it was the same company who made the bed. Would it say somewhere on the topper ?
So a 2 inch blended topper of 24 ILD might be a good option to go with, the blended is cheaper than the natural so the extra inch wouldnā€™t cost quite so much.
Would it be worth considering a Dunlop layer or is it best to stick to the Talalay for one of the comfort layers.

Hey Britexmom,

Thank you for responding also. Generally speaking, a Dunlop topper below the Talalay would work fine , and is pretty normal for companies to do this. I was under the impression that you liked the softness of the Talalay topper, but just not getting enough pressure relief. With Dunlop, even with similar ILD measurements, it tends to feel firmer than Talalay. Because you used Talalay already, and are familiar with it, I tend to recommend people stay with Talalay but increase the firmness. But of course I totally respect the budget part of this equation, so you have to really trust your instincts.

Thanks, let me know if something else comes up, and hopefully, you can update us if it works, or not?

Sensei

Yes you are right that I do like the softness of the Talalay, I think my only decision now is the 1 or 2 inch and should it be natural or blended. We are heading out of town this week so I will be making the decision once we get home, and by then I will be desperate as hotel beds are never comfortable for me.

Since I am still feeling pressure points would it most likely due to there not being enough depth in my 2 inch topper or might it be too soft. Mayerā€™s bedding does take returns but itā€™s not free to ship back to them so I want to try to get it right the first time .

Hey Britexmom,

Oh I get itā€¦hotel beds are the worst!!!

You are correct about the issue is either not enough depth or too soft topper or quite possibly its both. You will be ok with either blended or natural in 24ild. If you do go 1 inch, you may want to get the Natural or the denser version. If Meyers uses Talalay Global, it would be their N2 or N3 topper in one inch.

Have a safe trip, and let us know if you have any other questions when you get back.

Thanks,
Sensei

Hello,

Iā€™m looking to build a DIY mattress.
Stats: 6ā€™1", 185 lbs, male, athletic/muscular build, predominantly a side sleeper. I also sleep pretty hot and can be a sweaty guy - so Iā€™m really looking for excellent heat dissipation and breathability.

At this point Iā€™m pretty sure that Iā€™m going to go with an all-latex Talalay build - likely starting with a medium (#32) 6" core, but after that Iā€™m a bit more uncertain about comfort layers. Hereā€™s what Iā€™m seeking help with

1. I still have some outstanding questions about how some of the different Talalay options out there compare on heat dissipation and breathability. Iā€™ve read other threads and understand that the difference between all-natural and blended Talalay is pretty modest when it comes to feel, but are there any differences in cell structure or other characteristics that affect the materialā€™s properties with respect to dissipating heat and moisture? Or are they pretty much the same?

2. I have also seen Copper Talalay comfort layers for sale out there (mainly on Arizona Premium Mattressā€™ site). Am I correct in assuming these are blended Talalay? Does the Copper have a significant impact on temperature regulation? Iā€™ve seen reviews to suggest that such a layer might (e.g. ā€œTemperature Regulation Featuresā€ on this review: Pangea Bed Review) and the notion seems plausible considering that copper is such an excellent thermal conductor. But, how much copper is actually infused into this foam, and is there any other objective evidence that demonstrates a notable difference for the person sleeping on it?

3. Finally, Iā€™m uncertain about layers. I was considering just going with one 3" plush (N2 #20-24 ILD) comfort layer of Talalay on top of the medium (#32) 6" core. But, would this be ā€œover-plushingā€ for a person of my body type/sleeping style? Alternatively, I had thought about a 2" layer of medium (N3 #25-29 ILD) and a 2" layer of plush (N2 #20-24 ILD) of Talalay on top of the core. I figure this would leave me with some level of ā€œconfigurabilityā€ to swap medium to top and plush further down if I find that I need a firmer feel. OR, would it just make more sense to ditch the core and go with a 3 x 3" configuration? Iā€™m willing to spend money if it helps maximize my odds of getting the right balance of support and pressure relief, but I figure at a certain point there are diminishing returns.

BTW, I love this site. All the manufacturers here are absolutely committed to their craft. The objective info is crucial for consumers - it cuts right through the marketing hype that absolutely saturates much of the industry. Without this source of info and Jeffā€™s Beducation Youtube videos I probably wouldā€™ve bought just another bed-in-a-box. Now I feel a lot more confidence in my selection.

Hi,

I currently have a 6" bolsa spring + 2" soft dunlop topper. It gives some lower back pain when back sleeping, although seems alright with side sleeping.

Main question would be, is it worth exchanging the 2" soft for a 2 or 3" medium, or adjust with a 1" medium or firm toppers to go between the springs and 2" soft topper.

Any suggestions or ideas would be great!

Hey agm413,

Thanks for the message.

Just a couple of thoughts. Yes, you could exchange for a medium 2" or 3", but itā€™s not guaranteed that one gets relief from back issues going from softer to firmer with the comfort layer. It may work perfectly, you would know better as what may be causing it. Do you happen to know the density of the 2" soft?

My first inclination was to keep the 2" soft and like you suggested get a med or firm to go below the soft and above the bolsa coils. Generally speaking one would get the same or thicker height topper below the soft comfort layer. Sometimes using a 1" med/firm below 2" soft the 1" can get lost a little. I totally understand the cost issue, and again, itā€™s not to say the 1" firmer layer is bad, itā€™s just a general point.

Regarding the coil unit, do you feel it is supportive enough? What is your height and weight, if you donā€™t mind me asking?

Here are a couple of links that explain the layering process for comfort layers; progressive comfort layersand differential construction comfort layers.

Thanks, let me know any other questions or ideas and would be happy to help more.

Sensei

Thanks for the response Sensei - I actually ordered the 2" medium after speaking with the sleep on latex people a bit. Hoping to see what combination or solo topper will be the best. H/W is 5ā€™10" 215

Since I based it off the Avocado mattress I like when I tested the main thing I overlooked was the different coil setup, the avocado had the zoned support system for firmness under the hips, which the regular bolsa doesnā€™t have. Besides that spot the overall mattress fits well.

Iā€™ll hopefully update after some testing with the two different toppers Iā€™ll have at my disposal soon.