Mattress comfort layers - latex

[quote=“Phoenix” post=77246]
Designing and building your own mattress can be a lot of fun but can also be quite frustrating and involves a lot more knowledge of how different materials, layers, and components interact than many people suspect and I would do some more DIY research by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process.[/quote]

I tend to DIY and over complicate everything I do so I know what I’m getting myself into here. I also don’t have any illusion about this being cheaper than going pre-built, though if it was I wouldn’t complain.
[br]

The reasoning behind 15" is really just for the aspect of fine tuning and was actually inspired by the 16" offering from Foam Sweet Foam, though they include the wool in the cover in their measurement. I am not dead set on a 15", it just seemed like the option with the most flexibility for customization now and in the future. The misalignment and lack of support, however, is exactly what I was worried about. I had a feeling that would be the case, but I wanted to be sure before I purchased anything.
[br]

The most important qualities would be as much plushness as I could reasonably get while maintaining proper support and alignment. We are both side sleepers, and occasionally back, though I feel that has more to do with how “hammocked” the current mattress is. Typically we are almost strictly side sleepers.

[br]

You are correct, the perception of an abrupt transition, or lack thereof, between layers is what I was looking to avoid.

[br]

This is where the advice differs and the waters get kind of murky. Arizona suggested simply removing the #3 layer which would have been the Puralux topper, and opting for the Rejuvenite topper for layer #2. That would have left the layers at 15/19/31-35. That is greatly different from your suggestion and would seem like it may run into the aforementioned issue of lack of alignment and support due to the 19 ILD essentially amounting to the “transition” layer, instead of your suggestion of a 28 ILD foam.

I also wanted to use the 3" copper topper because of the heat conductance/dispersion effects, though I don’t know how much of an impact it would truly make as I was unable to find much in the way of feedback on that particular product. With your suggestion of using 1" of 15 ILD on top of 2" of 19 ILD, I am afraid that 3" of 15 ILD may cause the same “hammock” feeling that I am dealing with now. At the same time, if I went for the 19 ILD copper and put a 1" 15 ILD topper on it, it entirely defeats the purpose of the copper.

This is currently my revised build:

1. 3" Copper Topper - 15 ILD
  2. 2" Blended Talalay - 22 ILD
  3. 2" Blended Talalay - 28 ILD
  4. 6" Blended Talalay Core - 36 ILD
  5. Bamboo/Wool cover - 14"
  6. Copper Mattress Protector

That brings it down to 13" and the layers are more balanced while still retaining the copper topper as the uppermost layer. Again, if you feel that 3" of 15 ILD would be truly detrimental, please let me know and I’ll explore other options in lieu of that. Also, due to the lack of a 13" cover, I chose the 14" as not to “pre-load” the layers with the 12", though I do worry about the layers sliding. Would be interested in your opinion on that as well, don’t really care to straighten layers every night before bed.

Thanks!