Mattress Configuration Help - DIY

After lot of research I have come to the same conclusion like others that DIY is the way to go. Having said that would welcome your thoughts on the two option I am thinking. I am looking for a King build.

Sleeper A: 5’ / 134 - 140lb ; Side sleep 65 - 70%, back 35 - 30%
Sleeper B: 5’10" / 142 - 150 lb’ Side sleep 70 - 75%, back 30 - 25%, slight back problem but it maybe because of existing mattress

Here are 2 options that we are thinking

Option1 :
0.5 or 1" HD poly foam
8" QE coil system
2" 26 ILD Dunlop latex (or should we go with 28 ILD?)
2" 19 ILD Talalay latex

Option2:
3" 38ILD Dunlop Latex
3" 28ILD Dunlop Latex
3" 19 ILD Talalay Latex

We have an existing box spring (from about 10 years back) that seems to be still functional. If we decide to use that then obviously it makes sense to go Hybrid but we are open to purchasing a new foundation if we need to.

Do you think these options are a good choice for us? Should we make any change to either of these option based on our Height/Weight and Sleeping pattern?
What should be deciding factor for choosing between Hybrid vs. full latex?

Hi onlythebest27.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing your two configurations with us. As you are both “combo” sleepers, alternating between side and back, I am glad to see both of your configurations include transition/support layers.

Choosing between hybrid vs. all foam is part of your Personal Value Equation. Are you looking for more motion isolation? All foam is great for that. Or, do you prefer the springiness of a traditional innerspring? That would point you more towards a hybrid. Do you sleep hot? A hybrid may help you sleep cooler than all foam.

There’s a list in the hyperlink above that you can go through that may help you lean further one way versus the other.

There is nothing glaring that is sending up red flags. Once you’ve decided on whether you want a hybrid or all-foam, you’ll be able to build and sleep on your mattress and then decide if the configuration needs tweaking.

Are you currently sleeping on latex? How did you decide the 19 ILD for the comfort layer?

NikkiTMU

Hi NikkiTMU
Thanks for your detailed and thorough response.

We are not very particular about motion isolation but having it will be a bonus. We definitely don’t want the sink in feeling associated with Memory foam and that’s why we are not choosing memory foam. Sleeper A does sleep hot but that may be because of the number of layers she puts in before going to sleep because initially she feels cold.

We are currently sleeping on a traditional innerspring mattress purchased about 10 years back. There is not many store near our home that carry latex mattress. We tried one (hybrid with latex topper) and were comfortable with. Regarding comfort layer of 19ILD is was based on the readings at this site and reddit forum as well going thru builds of various members posted in this forum.

Thanks

Hi onlythebest27.

It sounds like you’ve done a lot of research and I look forward to hearing how your DIY goes. I agree that 19ILD is likely to be a support and comfortable option for you both based on your sleeping position(s) and weights relative to height.

The nice thing about latex is you don’t get that “trapped in the sand” feeling that you get with memory foam and, for Sleeper A, latex is the most breathable of mattress foams and therefore sleeps cooler than poly, gel, or memory foams. Those foams tend to “collapse” as they heat up, which is why we sink deeper and deeper into them as the night progresses…and in turn, our body heat gets trapped. I can imagine that in multiple layers and trapped in a memory foam “capsule” that she must feel quite warm at some point in the night!

If you’re not married to the springiness that a hybrid provides, I think over all you will be quite happy with an all-latex build. The upside to all-latex is that it’s easier to re-configure and swap out the layers in a way that isn’t possible with springs.

NikkiTMU