Mattress configuration

Hello-

I just bought a latex mattress from Sleep EZ 9 inch, all talalay, firm, medium, soft. I am 5"5 and 135 lbs and a back sleeper. I also have the wood slat foundation that they sell. I read a lot of these posts where configuration was discussed and so it seemed like most people went with that configuration. It has been 2 nights and I am thinking I may need to exchange the top soft layer for a medium?

I am waking up with lower back pain (not specifically pain but a very uncomfortable feeling , the same as if I am sitting in an uncomfortable chair or what not and it goes away about 15 minutes after I get up and am walking around). I also am waking up with upper thigh soreness, kind of the same feeling you have the day after doing a marathon, and Im not sure what could be causing that. Previously I had a Sealy pillow top mattress (that Id say was medium-firm) and I had a 2 inch memory foam topper on it, and I felt like I was in a cloud). So I am trying to replicate that and I’m thinking maybe I am sinking down too much? From what I read on a post that explained commons symptoms, it seems like lower back pain is usually from a too thick or soft layer. So I’m also wondering if I should exchange the 3"soft layer for a 2" soft layer? However, its only been two days so I’m not sure if I should wait before exchanging? Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Newbedshopping.

You certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I would keep in mind that there will be a break in and adjustment period with any new mattress (see post #3 here) so I would wait for a few weeks before making any changes in your mattress.

If you are still uncomfortable or experiencing “symptoms” after a few weeks then it would likely be a matter of either rearranging layers (for example exchanging the firm layer with the medium layer will firm up the support of the mattress) or exchanging a layer depending on the most likely “cause” of any ongoing issues you are having.

When the time comes and if it’s necessary then I can certainly link you to some posts that may be helpful but I would avoid too much speculation about any potential changes until you have slept on the mattress for a little longer and your body has had a chance to adjust to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to. At this point this type of more detailed information and the different fine tuning options that are possible can seem somewhat complex and will probably do more to confuse you than help you.

My “best” suggestion would also be a more detailed conversation on the phone with SleepEZ about your experiences and the types of changes that may be helpful so you can take advantage of their knowledge and experience with other customers that are in similar circumstances or have similar experiences to yours. They will be more familiar with their mattresses and the options they have available and the types of changes that may be helpful than anyone else and it’s much better to deal with these types of “fine tuning” changes with a interactive voice conversations than through written “conversations” that may take many hours or days of back and forth communications to get to the level of clarity about your experiences that would be necessary to begin to make any specific suggestions. Voice communications can accomplish in minutes what written communications can often talk many hours or sometimes days of back and forth questions, comments, and replies to accomplish.

Phoenix