Mattress Cover for a Latex Mattress

Hi,

Any recommendations on a mattress cover for latex mattresses?

Since a) some waranties can be voided by improper mattress care and b) latex mattresses seem to be more angular/square-ish I was wondering if anyone had found a cover they were pleased with in terms of fit and performance.

Thanks.

Lara

Ok - so doing some reading/research of my own here’s what I’ve come up with starting with this criteria: polyurethane membrane, terry cloth, waterproof but breathable.

Elite Mattress Protector by Protect a Bed. Best price I’ve found for a king $64.

Wool Products:
Natura Washable Wool-Filled Fitted Mattress Pad. Best price I can get it for is around $130 using some rewards points.

I also read about another wool product called St. Dormeir - but I think the lowest price I could find was $189.

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: protectabed.com/Elite_Mattress_Protector_-_CAL_KING/product.htm?pid=642912&catid=30610| Archived Footprint 2: naturaworld.com/mattress-pad-washable |Archived Footprint dormeir.com/products/mattressprotectors.htm

I guess the biggest question is - is wool really worth double the price of the first cover?

Lara

Hi ZhivagosGirl,

Mattress protectors (usually covers refers to the cover or ticking of a mattress) involve a series of tradeoffs between breathability and temperature regulation, how much they affect the feel of a mattress or the foam below it, and the degree of waterproofness that is suitable for a particular person or use.

There are quite a few threads and posts in the forum that contain lots more information and a forum “title search” on either “protect” or “cover” will bring up enough of them to get a clear idea of the tradeoffs involved in your choices. A general search on “protector” will bring up even more that you can scan through but post #89 here is probably the best source of information and talks about the tradeoffs between different types of mattress protectors and links to some good sources for each of them.

Dormeir, Natura, and protectabed are all good products for those who want the specific properties and qualities of each of them. Dormeir is probably the best of the thinner stretchy wool protectors and they are well worth the price for those who are looking for the specific qualities of a wool protector which is water resistance, temperature regulation, and who don’t mind a little bigger effect on the surface feel of the mattress. Protectabed is one of the thinner “membrane” types that are waterproof, have little affect on the feel of the mattress for most people, but can increase the heat because they are less breathable than wool or stretch cotton.

Phoenix

Thanks,

I tried using the search but couldn’t come up with the right criteria. I knew “pad” wasn’t right and “cover” was the next best thing I could come up with which did yield some information.

I’ll give it a go with “protector” - thanks for heading me in the right direction.

Hi ZhivagosGirl,

I linked the 3 search results in the last post which are ready for a “click” (with 20 results to a page that you can scan all the posts by scrolling down) to save you having to figure out which search terms will bring up the best information :slight_smile:

I know forums and searches in general can be hit and miss sometimes so I usually keep a record of which searches (or sometimes threads or posts) will bring up the best information to help with having to try random search terms that may not bring up what you are looking for. In this case there is information in many threads so the search would be more valuable than giving you a specific list of posts.

Phoenix

Well aint that nifty. Thanks. :cheer:

Hi ZhivagosGirl,

Over “time” and as I have the time, I usually try to amalgamate the information in many posts into articles on the site that include the information in many posts and that I can “point to” more easily. I may need to grow a few more hands and fingers first (and maybe an extra brain or two) and find a way to stretch the hours in each day (or learn some zen techniques that eliminate the need for sleep) to make this happen as fast as I want to though :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix. Have you ever seen a mattress protector that could be modified to be used as ticking itself, something stretchy, washable/durable, soft, and “marketable”, something that people would find attractive? I love the Bungee ticking from Desleeclama. I like how stretchy it is and how it doesn’t require badding. Besides being made of polyester, I worry that it would shrink, and they say it can only be washed a maximum of 25 times. Is there a mattress protector u know of that might work?

Thanks

Hi terusterang,

Your questions bring up some interesting points about the differences between mattress protectors, mattress tickings, and mattress pads, which have different functions but many of these functions can overlap.

First of all … a mattress ticking/quilting is an integral part of the construction of a mattress and is designed to stabilize and keep the components together and maintain the shape and structure of the mattress. It can also protect the materials inside the mattress in the same ways that a mattress protector can (protection from moisture, body oils, stains etc). The only real reason to add a protector to these would be the need to prevent stains on the mattress itself which would void the warranty and may cause hygienic issues with the mattress itself and to prevent the need to replace the mattress ticking. These types of issues can be overcome with a removable ticking that can easily be cleaned and in this case … if someone didn’t mind losing their warranty coverage and was OK with the possibility of replacing the zip cover … then a mattress protector may not even be the way to go because in some cases it can detract from the feel and performance of the mattress itself.

Mattress tickings, mattress protectors, mattress pads, and mattress toppers have both protective functions and are used to different degrees to adjust the feel and performance of the mattress itself. If someone uses a “removable” version of one of these that can also be washed or “refreshed”, then the only real reason for a mattress protector would be to protect a component that can’t be replaced or that would cost more to replace than the protector itself. In general though … if a mattress protector was suitable for use as a mattress ticking … then it wouldn’t be a protector any more. It would have protective functions but would also be a more integral part of the overall feel and performance of the mattress itself.

This is a good example of some of the new designs and materials that are gaining popularity in the industry. Microcapsules that include things like silver as an antimicrobial, phase change materials for temperature regulation, various essential oils for either their “healing” or other properties, additions that enhance oxygen uptake, or newer methods of weaving or knitting that create more three dimensional structure with its own properties are all gaining popularity with good reason. Of course the materials used (like polyester) are also an important part of any design and while they may reduce the cost … they can also reduce the performance. My personal choice would not be polyester in a mattress ticking.

So my “best” answer to your question is that with the exception of protecting a warranty or to “play it safe” and not have to replace a more expensive layer in the event of an accident that may never be “bad” enough to justify a protector vs a removable cover, and with a removable cover/ticking that can be either cleaned, “refreshed”, or replaced, there really isn’t as big a reason to include a mattress protector at all unless the protector is part of the overall design of the performance and feel of the mattress (which would mean it was more of a mattress pad or topper). Like all things … this can be a tradeoff between different things that are important to each person but in essence a protector is somewhat redundant with a replaceable cover that performs the same function and can easily be cleaned. It can also act to reduce the benefits of a great ticking/quilting that has functions and properties that would function more effectively without anything in between them and the person sleeping on them.

An example of a more “structured” zip ticking that looks like it is quilted but isn’t and is both very stretchy and soft in it’s own right is sold by SleepEz and you can see a couple of pictures in post #33 here (although the lighting shows it as much darker than it really is). While this wouldn’t have the waterproof qualities of a “membrane” type of protector or the water resistant qualities of wool, these qualities could be added to different degrees with a wool or even knit cotton mattress pad (to some degree) or topper as part of the design that could 'add" to or “fine tune” the performance of the mattress rather than having to choose something that would “detract” the least.

There are a lot of great design ideas coming out of Europe and while I haven’t been there … I would love to visit the Interzum show at some point so I could see and experience some of them first hand.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: interzum.com/en/interzum/home/index.php

Phoenix

Hi,

Is this the “right” wool mattress protector in the Natura line? https://www.sears.com/natura-world-washable-wool-fitted-mattress-pad/p-096B8293000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3 I looked on the Costco website for the “Supreme” and I didn’t find anything. I can get this one for about $125 with free shipping. Worth pulling the trigger on?

I guess I’m confused by this one Amazon.com and the potential difference.

Lara

Hi ZhivagosGirl,

The “right” type of protector depends on the properties you are primarily looking for and how it interacts with your mattress. The three main types are wool (very breathable, water resistant, will affect the mattress a little more), a breathable membrane attached to fabric (the fabric is usually either synthetic or cotton, it is less breathable, waterproof, and the affect on the mattress depends on the type and how stretchy it is but is generally less), and stretch knit cotton (very stretchy so it won’t affect the mattress nearly as much, will absorb some moisture to protect the mattress but is not water resistant or waterproof and is very breathable). Thicker mattress pads and fiber toppers will also have their own “protective” and performance benefits along with the additional properties of thicker layers of various fibers including wool.

There is a list of the different types of Natura mattress protectors and mattress pads on their site here. the different types of wool they use in their products are described here.

With a mattress protector … wool is generally compressed and they use smaller amounts of wool because this affects the feel of the mattress less than thicker wool mattress pads and toppers. Pads are also more “felted” which means that the wool is “fuzzed” together and doesn’t retain its natural resilience (which isn’t necessary in a mattress protector).

The Sears one you linked to is this one on the Natura site which has washable wool and uses 2.31 lbs of wool (which “translates” roughly into 9.9 oz/sq yd).
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: naturaworld.com/blog/index.php/naturawool-what-makes-smart-1998| Archived Footprint 2: naturaworld.com/mattress-pad-washable

The Amazon version has a different name but Natura only lists one “pad” which is washable and there is someone here that confirmed with Natura that it was the same one.

The more wool in the pad … and the more compressed the wool (or if it is felted) … and the more it may affect the feel of the mattress. Both of these are more “pads” and contain more wool than the St Dormeir (which has 7.5 oz /sq yd). In general the goal of a protector (as opposed to a pad or topper) is to provide the breathability of wool and water resistance in as thin and stretchy a layer as possible to affect the feel of the mattress less.

the Natura I bought when it was on sale at Costco almost 2 years ago (and probably wouldn’t buy again because the wool would be enough without the “breathable/waterproof” membrane) is this one. It has held up well though over a fair number of washings and would be a good choice for those who wanted both wool and the waterproof membrane.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: naturaworld.com/mattress-protector-deluxe

Hope this helps

Phoenix

So in theory if I wanted a little more fluff on top the mattress with the temp control and the wicking ability of the wool the pad (as opposed to the protector) would be a good option? I realize the “loft” would lessen after a while but I’m assuming the mattress will over time “give” more as well.

I’m trying to understand the difference between the initial pad I posted and this one: naturaworld.com/mattress-pad-fitted.

1. I see it’s not washable - but being you can’t dry the other one anyway - I don’t know that I wouldn’t just dry clean either of these.
    2)Elasticized cotton percale skirt. (Washable wool one doesn’t list what the skirt is)
    3)Color?

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: naturaworld.com/mattress-pad-fitted

Just because it doesn’t say “protect” - the sheer nature of the wool (listed to be in the same amount 2.31 lbs) still gives the same protection to the mattress regardless, right?

Hi ZhivagosGirl,

Yes … this is exactly right. Wool tends to compress (around 30% depending on the initial density) and then will stay fairly consistent (it doesn’t get as compressed as cotton batting like in a futon and always retains some of its resilience) while foam of course tends to soften over time so to some degree they can offset each other.

[quote]I’m trying to understand the difference between the initial pad I posted and this one: naturaworld.com/mattress-pad-fitted.

1. I see it’s not washable - but being you can’t dry the other one anyway - I don’t know that I wouldn’t just dry clean either of these.
    2)Elasticized cotton percale skirt. (Washable wool one doesn’t list what the skirt is)
    3)Color?[/quote]
    ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: naturaworld.com/mattress-pad-fitted

This one uses Naturawool (see the previous link about the different types of wool they use) which is not washable but hasn’t been treated. The density is the same.

Wool that hasn’t been treated to be washable will felt (the fibers will “fuzz” and matt together) with washing and lose it’s resilience. Airing out a wool pad outside to dry it will refresh it because it activates it’s natural self cleansing and deodorizing properties. It’s a good idea to do this anyway even if it can’t be washed because wool can clean itself this way.

The first one you listed also has a fully elasticized skirt but it doesn’t list the material. A call to Natura would probably answer this as well as whether the pictures on the site shows the color accurately.

The ones that say"protect" include a thin polyethelene membrane that is waterproof while the ones that are “pads” have the water resistance of wool but are not “waterproof”. The membrane allows water vapor to pass through it but not liquids and is less breathable than just wool. The washable wool has had the outer scales of the wool removed so it will compress more and become more “felted” than the non washable wool pad which will stay more lofted. They would offer similar protection because of the similar wool density although more felted wool will tend to keep the water on top more (see the video here) while more lofted wool would tend to absorb it more (wool can hold and then “release” up to 30% of its weight in moisture without feeling wet).
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: cozypure.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=23

Phoenix

I spoke with customer service at Natura and she said the difference between the 2 Natura pads were 1) One was washable 2) Cover style.

So - using you as a sounding board… I don’t have a clothes line or any way to secure to pad if I were to put it outside to air dry or even just air out as the case may be. Am I asking for trouble? Is it going to end up on the ground if I try to fenagle something? Should I just plan on dry cleaning instead? Although it seems sort of counter intuitive to take a natural product and have it chemically cleaned. : \

Good grief - I’m getting to the point - as my mom would say, “The Normandy invasion didn’t take this much work.” But I don’t want to buy the mattress until I have the cover - I mean protector.

Thanks again.

Lara

Hi,

Another question…

What is this “10 year (or even 15 yr) waranty” I am seeing on some of the protectors? What is the waranty for? Or what does it cover? If the protector fails - they replace what?

Thanks.

Hi ZhivagosGirl,

Maybe Dorothy’s words … Lions and Tigers and Bears, OH MY … should be Covers, protectors, and pads … OH MY :slight_smile:

I’d make my decision based on deciding on what was most important to you.

Wool that is washed won’t maintain its loft as well but if you really don’t have a way to air it out outside then maybe washing is the next best thing and there’s no doubt it’s handy if you don’t have access to a place to air it out. Depends I guess on how you feel about washing vs the self cleansing of wool and how important maintaining a little more loft is for you. Bear in mind that neither of these are particularly “lofty” anyway and it seems to me your main goal is protection not loft. If washing seems convenient to you … then that’s the way to go. If airing it out is possible or more attractive … then that’s the way to go. Both will “protect” your mattress. If you really can’t decide … they’re both good products and I’d just flip a coin :slight_smile:

Even a small stain on a mattress voids the mattress warranty so what they are saying is that they have a 10 year warranty against manufacturing defects (not against wearing out) so you can “protect” against voiding your mattress warranty because of stains for 10 years by using one of their protectors.

Phoenix

After doing a little more research (imagine that) - I found out apparently if you buy the protector with the new mattress (at the same time) from an “authorized” dealer the protector’s waranty does somehow cover product “failure.” But obviously for most of us - that’s not relevant because we are buying from local independent retailers and most places who stock these “supplies” are national chains. Anyway - just a note of clarification.

This is the mattress protector I ended up getting. Amazon.com Been happy with it. Also got the corresponding pillow protectors. Only thing I have to say as an observation is that they both seem big in relation to the mattress and the pillows (long).

It’s been fine in terms of temperature and noise. I’ve tried not to make mention of it to see if my husband had any comments of his own. (He’s generally a very hot sleeper) I don’t know that he’s even noticed that it’s on there.

Overall I am pleased with the product.

Lara

I just purchased a Latex Mattress based recommendations on this site (Spindle Mattress). So I was looking for a good mattress protector not a mattress pad. There are a lot of expensive ones out there but I was looking for something more reasonably priced. After reading various reviews on the protect-a-bed products I decided not to go with them. I found this one on Amazon. It has over 1900 reviews with 1500 5 star reviews and a great price. I will give an update when I am able to use it but wanted to share this link.

https://www.amazon.com/Luna-Hypoallergenic-Waterproof-Mattress-Protector/dp/B002AQNXR4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I’m always leery of Amazon reviews, but I do hope you read the 86 one star reviews as well as taking note of the 1500 five star reviews. Of all the reviews, close to 10% are one or two star reviews (that’s a guesstimate, math not being my best subject).

I never read the great reviews - it’s the ones with the problems I read at Amazon.

I hope this works out for you - the price sure is good.