Mattress Cover for a Latex Mattress

Hi rob1261,

I think the Luna is one of the better choices of the thin membrane type and is one of the more popular options mentioned in the mattress protector post.

There are a number of people on the forum who have purchased the same one you have and seem quite happy with it and the only negative comments Iā€™ve heard is that for a few people it can sleep a little warm but thatā€™s common to most of the membrane type of protectors. It should work well for you and itā€™s good value compared to some of the others as well.

Phoenix

After quite a bit of reading, I ended up purchasing a 34 ILD 100% Natural 6" Dunlop core from Sleeponlatex, with the potential of adding a 2" comfort layer on top if needed. Now Iā€™m looking into mattress covers and/or protectors.

From a previous bed purchase, I already have a mattress protector:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E8NPD2U/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I have several questions:

1. Is this enough of a layer to protect the latex from UV/ozone concerns? Or should I purchase a mattress cover? It really only has a protected layer on top, with mesh on the sides.

2. If I purchase a separate mattress cover instead, would I even need the mattress protector anymore?

3. Iā€™m currently looking at terrycloth, velour, or bamboo/cotton covers from 2ezmemtex on ebay. Would the terrycloth be sufficient in protecting the latex? Isnā€™t that essentially what I have with the mattress protector?

4. If I end up purchasing the velour or bamboo type covers, would the cover for 8" of foam be appropriate fr the 6"? From what Iā€™ve been reading, the slight looseness of it compared to the 6" may affect the feel of the latex. I figured I might save some money purchasing the 8" just in case I ordered another 2" topper.

Hi GiantCrab,

No ā€¦ this is a mattress protector not a mattress ticking. A mattress ticking is part of the mattress itself and contributes to the feel and performance of the mattress and helps it keep its shape. I would use an actual zip mattress cover that is designed to surround the materials inside the mattress and protect the layers inside and the type of cover you used would depend on how it contributed to the design goals of your mattress design and on your preferences between sleeping directly on the latex or having a quilted cover.

Yes ā€¦ a mattress protector is always a good idea to keep your mattress hygienic and protect against the moisture and body oils that all of us emit each night and prevent them from getting into the mattress. The protector can be removed and washed much more easily than a mattress ticking.

I donā€™t know the specifics of their covers so I donā€™t know. It would depend on the specifics of the material. If you can hold it up to the light and not see any light through it then it would probably be OK. If itā€™s a cheap thin material then probably not. It would also depend on the amount of stretch it has and how it contributes to the feel and performance of the mattress. When you are buying separate components then you are dependent on your conversations with the supplier and the knowledge and experience of the person selling the cover and how much they know about covers that are appropriate for latex (vs how much they want to sell you a cover).

I would buy a cover that was designed to tightly fit the thickness of the materials in the mattress. I would probably wait with buying a cover until you have finalized your design (sleeping on the latex with just a protector and a sheet wonā€™t cause harm in the short term).

Phoenix

Hi GiantCrab!

We also purchased from Karl at sleeponlatex. Our latex is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday!

We ordered a double knit organic cotton cover from FoamOrder to ā€œhold things togetherā€, but we just found out that our order has been cancelled due to a pricing error :frowning:

So back to the drawing board! Keep me posted on what you purchase and how it works, ok?

Thanks,
BB

So, slight updateā€¦

The mattress is great. Perfect firmness etc for me.

Only issue is that the thread of the quilting on the top of the mattress is coming out in one spot. If you pull even slight it continues to come out so Iā€™m not doing that. I called the folks at SAM and they are saying theyā€™ll pick it up and fix it but they arenā€™t happy about it. Is this something I should worry about? Seems like if I pull it would go all the way across the mattress and it is a brand new thing.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Hello - fantastic site! I read through the above topic and links to previous posts on mattress protectors, which were all quite helpful. Iā€™m still stuck with a feeling of dread about using a waterproof mattress protector (we have 3 little kids, so I feel like we do need the protection given the likely event of accidents by the little ones at least for the next few years). We are buying a great mattress from a local San Diego mattress maker recommended by this site - 4" of talalay over encased coils with a cover that includes wool - and breathability/avoiding a ā€œhotā€ sleeping surface is very important to my wife.

In a previous post that you linked to, you had mentioned potentially using a basic cotton cover over a wool-based protector as a means of increasing the effectiveness of the water ā€œresistenceā€ of the wool-based protector (with the trade-off being the affect on the feel of the mattress). Our mattress will be on the very soft side, so I feel that there is some room to give with respect to the feel, since some marginal firming up of the ā€œfeelā€ will not likely put us in the too firm territory.

My question is whether it might be an effective approach to use a very thin/membrane type/stretchy-as-we-can-get waterproof protector (which, as you mentioned, tend to retain heat) as a base layer against the mattress, then add a more breathable cover/protector of some sort above that with the goal of making the sleeping surface itself more breathable? I have avoided research on mattress ā€œpadsā€ (due to the discussions RE affecting the feel of the mattress), so Iā€™m only really aware of the wool type mattress protectors. If this approach would make sense for ā€œsolvingā€ the waterproof/heat problem, are there any particularly noteworthy very breathable mattress ā€œpadsā€ that would be a better second layer than the wool-based ā€œprotectorsā€?

Thanks!

Hi Sandy Eggo,

Iā€™m not sure of the reasons for your ā€œfeeling of dreadā€ but mattress protectors with a thin waterproof membrane are a very popular choice where the odds of an ā€œaccidentā€ are higher.

If you are purchasing from one of the members of the site in San Diego you are certainly making a great quality/value choice ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I donā€™t have any specific suggestions but this would certainly be a reasonable option. The membrane in the lower protector could still have ā€œsome effectā€ on the sleeping temperature of the mattress but because of the wool layer above it the effect would be less than it would with only a thinner membrane style of protector by itself. Rather than buying two separate protectors though ā€¦ it may be worth considering one of the wool quilted protectors that already include a waterproof membrane that are included in the reference post about mattress protectors.

Phoenix