Mattress Cover for Latex with Wool/Bamboo cover

First – this site is the most amazing thing I’ve seen in years. This has taken most of the mystery and frustration out of mattress shopping.

We’ve decided on a latex mattress set from Arizona Mattress Co, and I was curious about whether, and what kind, of mattress cover (protection) would be good with their King All Natural Talalay w/ Bamboo Cover. We definitely don’t want to increase the heat, and major liquid spills would not be an issue for the most part. So we’re curious what the “best” choice would be. Have searched and read many of the posts here and protect-a-bed premium looks good, but thought we’d ask.

also, if anyone has direct experience putting together the King All Natural Talalay I’d be interested if it’s as easy as the video makes it look. We’re buying the metal frame from Arizona Mattress as well (we’re upgrading from queen to king) so we can install a headboard/footboard.

Thanks in advance

Hi gmc,

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

Post #89 here and the posts it links to has more information about the different types of mattress protectors and the tradeoffs involved with each of them along with some sources for each type.

The “best” choice would depend on what’s most important to you but if heat is the main issue then the membrane type is less breathable and for some people can increase sleeping temperature vs either the cotton/wool or the stretch knit cotton.

If “moisture absorption” is enough (vs moisture resistant or waterproof) and a protector that has the least effect on the feel of the mattress is important then the stretch knit cotton type would be a good choice.

I don’t have any personal experience with their mattress but based on many people I’ve talked with and if you have two people it will be relatively easy although it can take a bit to get used to how “floppy” or "clumsy latex is and it’s important not to pull on the latex and to “wave” it into position because it can rip easily.

Hopefully some of the members here that have put it together will see your post and make some comments as well.

Most important … congratulations on your new mattress. You certainly made a great choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix

we were at the warehouse on Mon picking out our new bed from them also :slight_smile:

the beds look very straightforward on assembly two people kinda thing we have not got ours yet ? comes Thur but in the warehouse we did a bunch of layer changes and things finding what we liked so I got to handle a bunch and move a bunch of the 3 inch material making new beds up was super easy (we are getting a E King)
biggest trick and I think the vids all cover that is kinda shake it into position not pull it or push it since it sticks to itself so good :slight_smile: but just a little ripple shake it moves into position super nice :slight_smile:

on the cover option I was looking at the one you are mentioning and asked about it he recommended a different product they sell called My Protector from Sleep and Beyond
now I might have dif needs ? part of mine is comfort of course and I sleep hot so wanted to keep things as cool as I could he did mention those barrier type covers can cause less circulation in the latex making them less breathable and hotter feeling I think was his words ?
its a washable wool and cotton cover instead they have two models more a top one and more a wrap around one we got the later but the one they had was very nice feeling and the wrap around one sounded like a touch nicer cover material ?

you might want to call and ask them about these as a option for a nice cover keeping the better breath ability ? again forgot the exact words but since ya bought the bed form them they might be the best to ask and maybe ask about that My Protector model :slight_smile:

sounds to like Phoenix mentioned the heat from the membrane types ?
also Phoenix might have some input on the My Protector from Sleep and Beyond ?

Hi CKMaui,

You can see the specs of the MyProtector from Sleep & Beyond here (I couldn’t see it listed on the mattresses.net site).

It has 17oz / yd of wool which means it would be a little thicker than some of the others that are listed in the mattress protector post that are similar. The extra wool would give it a softer feel and be a little more temperature regulating but would affect the “feel” of the mattress a little more than a thinner protector. It’s somewhat in between a protector and a mattress pad (and it’s listed as a mattress pad here).

It looks like a very nice product to me and it would certainly do the job :).

Phoenix

WOW your fast :slight_smile: hahahah

not sure why its not on site think its newer stuff they are selling and again why I try to say my needs :slight_smile: I sleep hot one sheet my wife sleeps with two comforters on her always cold :wink:

that is the one they have on a bed there in the factory to try they also make a more wrap around model that will cover down over the side and again my needs we are not getting a regular cover I liked the no cover feel ? so he said the wrap around would work better for us :slight_smile: and act like a cover

but to the OP I would say call them up cause you might be OK with what you wanted :slight_smile: was not every trying to say it was not good but I can say from feeling both in person WOW these S&B covers are really nice feeling :slight_smile: super nice soft feeling and they do have that extra layer of feel to them

for sure a bit thicker for sure a bit dif feeling ? I guess its a balance of better heat control over the membrane type covers with the wool feel ? and again I will know more after sleeping on it :slight_smile:

and so far my dealing with them he seems to really know his stuff :slight_smile: and seems to want to sell you the correct thing not the most expensive thing which is nice :slight_smile:

Hi - this is my first post to the site. I have to echo the praise for this site and express my gratitude as well. My search for a new mattress started by looking at traditional coil based sets. Then I found The Mattress Underground and started to learn more about memory foam and latex. I visited a few retail outlets and decided that memory foam was to pliable and I didn’t like the slow response. I’ve settled on either the Bamboo Bliss or the Aloe Alexis from BB. Now, I only have four questions, some of which I know have already been addressed on the forums.

1 - what’s the right comfort layer for us (we’re both side sleepers and prefer a softer top, but do appreciate the support layer)
2 - which of the two mattress models above have the best edge support - meaning, will I feel like I’m going to roll off the bed if I sleep near the edge?
3- what’s the best mattress cover to protect the mattress, but also not sleep hot (answered in this string - thanks)
4 - how the heck do I get rid of my old mattress :slight_smile:

On the last point, I’ve searched for mattress recycling companies in my area (Princeton, NJ area) and haven’t found any. I would think the mattress at 14 years old is too old to donate, and the major junk haulers are too expensive to hire for just a mattress. By the way, it’s king size, which makes it problematic to put out as an oversized item for garbage. Any ideas would be helpful.

I would also appreciate any thoughts on question #2. This is my only real concern with the latex mattress.

Again, great site!

Hi WWB,

There is no formula or theory that can decide on the “right” comfort layer for any specific person (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). The only way to know is your own personal experience with either testing a mattress or “best judgement” based on more detailed conversations with an online retailer or manufacturer who can use their knowledge and experience with their mattresses, any local testing you have done, and the “averages” of their customers that they think may be similar to you to help you make the best possible choice.

Their mattresses don’t have edge support and and for most people a suitable latex mattress doesn’t need it (see post #33 here) but for those who are more sensitive to the feeling of roll off (or “roll together” in the middle of the mattress especially with heavier weights or bigger weight differences between a couple) then in general terms firmer layers in the top 3" to 6" of the mattress (depending on weight, body size, and sleeping positions) will be more supportive in all areas of the mattress including the edge and the middle. If this is one of the more important criteria in your personal value equation though then I would make sure you include it in your more detailed conversations with them because they will know more about the more detailed specifics of their mattresses and how they interact with different people and body types than anyone.

This thread may be helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix