mattress cover question

I’ve been searching through sleep like the dead and this site and I feel I’ve made a decision. I want to build my own mattress. When searching amazon I noticed plushbeds sells all natural latex layers for a great price so I’m going to buy my layers from them. I saw sleep like a bear had a wide variety of great zippered mattress covers and this is where my question comes in to place. They have high prices. Their latex layers are over $300 more than plush beds and the mattress cover I want is $1,000 which I know has to be available elsewhere for $600. Does anyone know where I can find this somewhere else? I’ve searched the internet for hours.

Http://www.sleeplikeabear.com/zippered-certified-organic-100-percent-cotton-36.9oz-wool-mattress-cover

:woohoo:

You can get the St. Dormier Wool Mattress Protector from Flobeds a lot cheaper, $1. shipping. It gets excellent reviews on the forum.

Hi flyby,

Post #4 here has a list of suppliers that sell individual layers and components including a wide range of zip covers :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’m mulling around doing the same idea of assembling my own mattress from parts.

I don’t know anything about these mattress case’s. but this is what I found so far.

Foamorder.com has a few available. But there site can be confusing. On this page HERE, go to natural foam blocks and select the size of bed you are going to assemble then click price quote. It well bring you to another page with foam and caseing options. On the right side look for “Eco Organic Case” or Natural Sense Organic pillow top case and Diamond quilted pillow top case.

Thats what I found so far.

Hope it helps.

I think natural comfort and plushbeds are the same company on amazon. Either way I sent them an email and they will send out any 2-3" all natural latex toppers in any rating for $520 each for 3" for a cal king which is pretty darn good considering how expensive all 9-12" natural latex mattresses are. $1700 for a 9" cal king with the cover is a great deal. And after extensive research I think I figured out who makes the mattress cover above it’s naturally natural and I can’t find any information on them any where. And thanks for the posts I checked everything out excellent stuff.

Isn’t that a mattress protector not a zippered mattress cover?

Yes it is. I misunderstood what you were looking for.

Hi flyby123 and KJEN,

Yes … it wouldn’t be suitable as a cover for the materials in a mattress … only as a protector.

This is certainly a reasonable price but there is also some less costly options available on the list I linked and I would also make sure you know exactly what type of latex you are purchasing so you can make meaningful comparisons. For example, if you go here you will see that the description says that it is “Pure - Natural Sri Lankan Botanical Talalay Latex with no synthetic, petroleum based fillers” and I would be aware that latex that comes from Sri Lanka is Dunlop not Talalay. Talalay latex comes from either Latex International in the US or from Radium in Holland … not Sri Lanka.

I should also clarify that Natural Comfort is not the same company as Plushbeds.

I would also read post #15 here and post #2 here before considering designing your own mattress from separate “parts” because it can easily end up being more complex than many people would suspect and end up being more costly than some of the component mattresses that are available where you have the expertise and guidance of a manufacturer to help you and can also keep the option of exchanging layers if you make a mistake.

Phoenix

It does say made in the USA though doesn’t it? Don’t all latex manufacturers get their rubber from tropical environments like Sri Lanka? I didn’t think they had rubber trees in the USA.

They said their latex is latex international

I did notice the blended talalay latex layers are considerably cheaper though from your list.

Hi flyby123,

There are many subtropical countries where the raw latex is produced (and Sri Lanka is one of them) but typically when a manufacturer says that their latex comes from Sri Lanka it would mean that it was Dunlop latex made by a Sri Lankan company such as Arpico or Latex Green or Eco-Latex or Biohevea all of whom make or supply Dunlop latex. I don’t believe that either Latex international or Radium (who make Talalay) discloses the country where their raw materials come from.

If it’s latex International then it’s unlikely that the latex comes from Sri Lanka (the link you provided mentions West Africa not Sri Lanka).

You can find both blended and 100% natural Talalay at a lower cost on the list but blended is generally less costly than 100% natural Talalay. Plushbeds is certainly lowr than many other online suppliers though but I would want to know the rating of the topper (N1 - N5 if it comes from Latex International).

I should also mention that the ILD ranges they mention here are not the ranges for 100% natural Talalay made by Latex International (you can see the range of ILD’s for N1 - N5 on the Sleeplikeabear site here). 100% natural latex has a wider range of ILD’s across the surface than blended Talalay (it can vary in different places on the surface of the topper by as much as 6 ILD).

Phoenix

I saw on your list the cheaper talalay blended but not cheaper all natural where is that?

By the way in their email they did mention n2.

And after glorious amounts of research I’ve concluded where sleep like a bear buys their mattress covers from and it’s from a store in California. They even have some duplicate pictures on their site that are originally from the European sleep shop store.

Certified Organic Mattress from our "Naturally Natural" line

European sleep shop or kowal enterprise inc. I sent them an email hopefully they’re cheaper if they even source mattress covers to the public versus as they do with suppliers. Bamboo covers on eBay are sourced from a kowal enterprise company and they looked remarkably similar on their lettering to sleep like a bears and my suspicions were correct this was really tough to figure out.

Hi flyby,

One is here 3 Inch All Natural Talalay Latex Mattress Topper, Save Big with DIY Latex Mattress Components, Latex Mattresses-Talalay and Dunlop, All Products

Phoenix

Not that I mind because I’m not sure if I want blended or natural, but on that link they claim their toppers have a ild of 19 or 28 which I thought you said was blended talalay numbers as natural talalay have a given range?

Hi flyby123,

When I see a specific ILD it’s always a caution to make sure that the material is 100% natural Talalay rather than blended Talalay. In many cases they are described as a specific or “nominal” ILD as a convenience so that customers have a sense of its relative firmness (most customers would nave little idea what N2 means or say W4 in the case of Radium) but it’s always a good idea to use specific ILD descriptions as a trigger to ask questions to confirm the type of Talalay…

In the case of mattresses.net I know that they are selling 100% natural Talalay because I know them well and have talked with them at length and they also carry Radium Talalay which are a little more specific in terms of ILD than Latex International but using specific ILD’s as a trigger to confirm the blend of the material regardless of who sells it is always a good idea.

This is particularly true in the case of Latex International because their blended talalay is often described as “natural” and their 100% natural latex is often described as “all natural” and in many cases retailers will confuse one for the other. It can also be confusing when you see terms like 100% Talalay" which only means that the material was made using the Talalay process and has nothing to do with the blend of the raw materials.

Phoenix

If you’re wanting to build your own mattress you could also try Mattress 24/7. They have a website but it’s currently being rebuilt (slowly).

It’s only half functional (lots of broken links) currently though. IMO it’s easier to contact her (Valerie, the owner) through eBay here:

http://myworld.ebay.com/mattresses247

Her current prices are $440 per 3" latex layer (they were lower but I think she’s not selling seconds anymore so she raised the prices). They can come whole or split (for the larger sizes at least). Or you can buy them in a preconfigured set and basically get a cover free.

I was lucky enough to lock in the $380 price (although I haven’t officially decided on my configuration yet) due to consulting her before the change. Just for that alone I recommend them (since she obviously didn’t have to give me the old price).

Good luck with your decision. :slight_smile:

Just a heads up on the amazon 3 inch toppers. Natural comfort uses radium while plush beds uses latex international. Does that matter? Does one have higher quality than the other?

Hi flyby,

At their best both are high quality and comparable products. There is more in post #2 here.

Phoenix

I want to know how people can like hard firm beds? I read all the time people saying on here they like firm beds it almost defies logic. It’s natural to like things a little soft do many people have bad backs that require it or something? There must be some logic behind it.

Hi flyby123,

They would probably be stomach or back sleepers or be comfortable with firm beds because that’s what they are used to sleeping on or because of their cultural heritage (many Asians for example sleep on very firm mattresses).

It could also be for the same reasons that some people actually like sauerkraut which I’ve never understood and makes me cringe (even though my ancestry is Dutch and I’m “supposed” to love it) or worse yet how some people can eat ultra hot peppers which to me is self imposed torture that has absolutely no reason behind it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Haha I see

Is there anyone who offers a mattress cover that looks like savvy rest or foam sweet fom? Those were the two mattress covers I like the most.

http://www.savvyrest.com/files/imagecache/product_page_full_horizontal/products/serenity-corner-top.jpg

https://www.foamsweetfoam.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/12-inch-natural-mattress1.jpg

I’m having troubles finding one that is basic like that and it’d be nice if it had joma wool too.