mattress cover

Hello, I joined the forum a few weeks ago and thanks to the articles here, I felt informed enough to shop for a mattress with relative confidence! I ended up shopping local by purchasing a mattress from Quality Sleep Shop (aka Mygreenmattress.com). I purchased the 7" Simple Sleep latex mattress (with a custom 1" cotton/wool cover added to the other side making it a two-sided 8" flippable) and a 2" Comfort Latex Topper.

I am searching desperately for a mattress protector or cover. The words “protector” and “cover” are quite confusing across different brands. Because my mattress is double sided, I would like to protect the entire thing (it will be placed on top of a slatted wood platform bed), as opposed to only top/one sided protection. So ideally I am looking for a zippered cover with nothing fancy on it. Preferable 3-sided zipper for easy access, natural cotton, and NO waterproofing necessary. I also want to protect the topper as well.

So I found these on foamorder.com (see pictures) … double knit mattress cover or simple cotton muslin mattress cover. I chose 10" border depth b/c that covers BOTH my mattress and the topper. They have a separate item called topper cases but there is no link and I haven’t had a chance to call them up yet.

Is this a good way to protect my new purchases (as far as sticking both mattress and topper into one cover)? I cannot afford the wool options (and think it may be overkill), and don’t want vinyl, polyurethane membrane etc etc. The items from Quality Sleep already has wool and organic cotton on them.
Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

Hi Cattoo,

Congratulations on your new Quality Sleep Shop Simple Sleep mattress! :cheer: You certainly made a good quality/value choice. I’ll be interested to learn your opinion of your new mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

A mattress protector is generally designed to take the place of the typical mattress pad and afford an extra layer of “protection” against body oils and other fluids, and these protectors most often have some sort of a waterproof membrane, such as a polyurethane film or PVC/vinyl/plastic.

A mattress encasements/cover, as most often referenced here on the forum, is some sort of a zippered structure that helps hold the foam layers in place in a component-style mattress, and it also helps protect those foams from outside elements. But a mattress pad or protector is often used over this encasement.

A mattress encasement can also refer to a specialized type of mattress pad or protector that zips up and “encases” the entire product, again taking the place of the traditional mattress pad.

I know. It can get confusing.

There is more about mattress protectors in post #89 here and the posts it links to (there are quite a few) and this post. There are also more sources for mattress covers in the component post here.

The double knit mattress cover you posted about is usually used to encase the actual foam material of a memory foam mattress. The cotton mattress cover could be used as a protective encasement, but you’d need to have it pre-shrunk. I would contact Foam Order by phone, as they are able to offer quite a few different things and may be able to customize something that specifically suits your needs.

Other than that, there are many options for zippered encasements of a mattress. You can check out some of the more knowledgeable outlets like Allergy Buyers Club (or their sister site Sleep Buyers Club) are often great resources because they personally test all of their products and have good comparative descriptions of the different materials on their site.

Phoenix

@Phoenix, thank you for the links. After some more research, I have chosen to
abandon my initial selections and go with the St. Dormeir Wool Mattress Protector w/16inch pocket. It is more than what I originally wanted to spend, but after comparing numerous sites and brands, I believe it is a decent choice. I look forward to trying it out. Thank you for sending me in the right direction.

I was also looking into this product -

This is a 100% organic cotton mattress protector. Is this also a good choice should the wool/cotton one not work out for some reason (though I highly doubt that).

Thanks again for your time :slight_smile:

Hi @cattoo,

Congratulations on your new mattress protector choice! :cheer: The St. Dormeir does use good quality componentry and is discussed frequently by forum members.

This is a cotton stretch-knit protector (there is more information about it here) made with100% organic cotton, but is not a GOTS-certified protector. The protector is Oeko-Tex 100, level 1 certified. I don’t have personal experience with this item, but I do think highly of components offered by Berkeley Ergonomics.

Phoenix