Mattress Cover

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a Latex mattress at Flexus in Covina, CA. Do I need to buy a mattress cover for it and if so what is the recommendation for such a mattress?

Hi ZenShakti,

I’m guessing you mean a mattress protector (vs a mattress cover which is part of the mattress itself).

I would certainly recommend a mattress protector to protect your mattress from the normal body fluids and oils that we all release each night and to guard against stains from spills or accidents which can void a warranty and also to keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition.

There are different types of protectors and which one is best depends on your circumstances and the criteria that are most important to you (including cost) and post #89 here (and the posts it links to) has more information about the tradeoffs involved with different types of mattress protectors and links to some good sources for each of them.

Phoenix

Yes! You are right, I meant a mattress protector. I will research the ones you mentionned and go from there.

THANK YOU!!!

Hello, Phoenix!

I have a follow up question re mattress protectors. I also just purchased a latex mattress from Flexus. As you already know, their covers consist of cotton and wool. I am considering the St. Dormeir, as it seems like one of the best, although a high price. However, with wool already part of the cover, is getting a protector with wool overkill? If you think so, then what would you recommend, as I don’t think I want one with the membrane.

Since this is my first post/question, I want to thank you so much for developing and administering this forum. If not for this forum and your guidance, as well as input from all other members, I would have never known about the wonderful latex mattresses or how to even go about buying one. When I do receive my new latex mattress and have had a chance to experience it, I plan to post about my experience, what I purchased, and the outcome, as it was so helpful when other members posted their experience/products. Thanks again for all you are doing, and I think they need to change the name of a very popular movie out right now to…Guardian of the Mattress Galaxy, starring Phoenix and the Mattress Underground :))

Hi CJW,

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here but it wouldn’t be overkill because a quilted mattress cover and a mattress protector perform completely different functions.

A quilted mattress cover (or any cover) is part of the mattress itself and plays a significant role in the feel and performance of your mattress as well as its temperature regulation and the surface or “hand feel” as well. It isn’t designed to be removed and cleaned on a regular basis as easily as a mattress protector.

A mattress protector on the other hand is not meant to be part of the mattress itself and is meant to protect the mattress (including the cover) from the body oils and fluids that we release each night and guard against spills and accidents that can stain the cover and void a warranty. The goal of a mattress protector is to have as neutral effect on the feel and performance of the mattress as possible (including temperature regulation). Unlike a cover … it is meant to be easily removed and cleaned on a regular basis so that you can maintain a clean and hygienic sleeping surface.

A mattress protector isn’t meant to provide the benefits of sleeping on thicker layers of wool as much as to make sure that the benefits of the wool that is in your cover aren’t reduced more than they need to be. If you put a semi breathable layer (such as a membrane type protector) over a wool quilted cover then there would be less airflow through the protector and this can reduce the benefits and effect of the wool underneath it.

There is always a tradeoff between the different functions that a mattress protector is meant to provide. One of these is the degree of water resistance that is important for each person and their circumstances. The second is the effect on the feel and performance of the mattress (thicker less stretchy protectors will affect the mattress more than thinner more stretchy protectors). Finally there is the effect on temperature regulation and airflow (more airflow and moisture wicking will have less effect on the temperature regulating properties of the mattress than less airflow and less moisture wicking).

For those who need a waterproof sleeping surface then the membrane types of protectors would be the likely choice but the tradeoff would be that it would have less airflow and reduce the temperature regulating benefits of the wool underneath it. It will also have a fairly neutral effect on the feel of the mattress.

For those where “water resistant” is good enough and are more focused on keeping the full temperature regulating benefits of their mattress cover then a wool/cotton protector with thinner layers of wool may be the best choice because it wouldn’t interfere with the temperature regulation properties of the wool underneath it but the tradeoff would be that it will have a little larger effect on the feel of the mattress because it’s thicker.

For those where a protector that only absorbs excess body fluids and oils would be OK even though it wouldn’t protect against spills and accidents as well (they may go through to the mattress if the fluids penetrate the protector) or offer enough protection for those who tend to perspire much more at night, then a stretch cotton protector may be their best choice because it would only have a minimal effect on the feel of the mattress itself and would still allow for good airflow and moisture wicking to maintain the temperature regulating benefits of the wool quilted cover.

So the goal of all mattress protectors is to “protect” the mattress to different degrees while having the least possible effect on airflow and temperature regulation and on the “feel” of the mattress and which of the tradeoffs involved with each of them would be most important would depend on each person’s circumstances and criteria. There isn’t a mattress protector that has the “best” of all three.

Phoenix