Mattress Decision Time

Hi kelly500,

You’re certainly right about this … and unfortunately the changes haven’t been for the better (see post #3 here).

Fortunately there are still many smaller independent or local manufacturers that make great quality and value mattresses but you have to look past the advertising to find them(most of them don’t advertise and depend on their local reputation and word of mouth).

Yes you are correct and these are called a “latex hybrid”. They are similar to a memory foam mattress that uses several inches of memory foam over a polyfoam base except they have" of latex over a high quality polyfoam base. They are also members of this site which means that I believe they are among the best quality/value in the country.

As you probably know from reading the forum … I think these are also a very good quality/value choice as long as one of the two models they carry fit your needs and preferences. They will be on an innerspring base in their showrooms which is a little unusual for a latex mattress and if they are a little too soft I would ask them to put it on a firm foundation (or an adjustable bed) which will create a firmer feel and is the type of foundation that is more typically used with a latex mattress. Your specs are correct except they also use an inch of soft polyfoam in the quilting over the latex.

These are also good quality and “better than average” value choice although in most cases (depending on the price at a particular retailer) … they may not be in the same value range as many local manufacturers. There are two lines … one of which uses blended talalay (that they call natural) and one which is more expensive and for most people not as good value that uses 100% natural Talalay (which they call “all natural”). Their naming conventions are confusing or even misleading IMO.

They did just come out with a new lineup that has a slightly different layering and uses what they call “active fusion” fast response latex in the upper layer (which has phase change materials added to the latex which can improve temperature regulation slightly) and the older models may be available in some places for a discount. the new models are still all Talalay latex though.

They also have a lineup called the Hybrid 3.0 line which is also a latex hybrid (various layers of latex over polyfoam) and these include both fast response and slow response latex in the comfort layers but these are in addition to the natural and the all natural line and don’t replace them.

Other than these which are good choices … there may be some other local manufacturers or sleep shops that are worth including in your research. If you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know of any I’m aware of.

Phoenix