Mattress Decision Time

We have had the same innerspring King size mattress for about 20 years. With our recent move from New York to Atalanta we decided it was time to leave that old mattress behind and purchase a new one. A lot has changed in 20 years so we started doing our homework but the options were overwhelming. We began by looking at memory foam mattresses figuring that was the latest and greatest. We had heard complaints of them retaining heat and taking time to adjust to the feel of the bed. There are so many “features” now available to address these complaints (gels, ventilated layers, etc.) but they all felt more like hype than real benefits. Personally I didn’t care for the cradling feeling. It felt dense and heavy as I would change position. My husband did not seem to object as much. I should also mention that neither of us has any complaints about aches or pains from sleeping. We are both side sleepers of average height and weight.

So through our research, trying out different mattresses and great sites like this one we think we are ready to settle in on a Latex mattress. Now we just need some advice on how to pick which one. We have 3 under consideration in the low, medium and high price points.

Low Price Point $750 to $1000 - Brooklyn Bedding Company Eurotop or Ultra Plush (on the membership list). I’m not entirely sure but it seems like this is not a 100% Latex mattress. The base is convoluted foam and only the comfort layers are latex. The price savings and ability to customize the comfort layer is very attractive but downside is not being able to try it out since it would be an online order.

Mid Price Point $1460 to $2070 - Original Mattress Factory Latex Foam or Supreme. This mattress is flippable so the comfort layers are on either side. Here are the specs from their website:
6" Talatech® Talalay Latex Foam Core - 30-34 ILD, 3.9-4.2lb/ft³ Density (Tolerance ±.25lb/ft³)
Convoluted Talatech® Talalay Latex Foam Topper – 17-21 ILD, 3.1-3.3lb/ft³ Density (Tolerance ±.25lb/ft³)
FR Fiber
Quilted Panel Featuring a Premium Damask Fabric Cover
Heavy Duty Cloth Handles

High Price Point $3199 and up - Pure Latex Bliss Nature. We spent the most time trying out these beds and really did like the feel of the Nature or Nutrition. They are adding a hybrid slow response model which we were told may make the older version harder to find.

Any feedback or comments about these options (or others we should consider) would be appreciated.

Hi kelly500,

You’re certainly right about this … and unfortunately the changes haven’t been for the better (see post #3 here).

Fortunately there are still many smaller independent or local manufacturers that make great quality and value mattresses but you have to look past the advertising to find them(most of them don’t advertise and depend on their local reputation and word of mouth).

Yes you are correct and these are called a “latex hybrid”. They are similar to a memory foam mattress that uses several inches of memory foam over a polyfoam base except they have" of latex over a high quality polyfoam base. They are also members of this site which means that I believe they are among the best quality/value in the country.

As you probably know from reading the forum … I think these are also a very good quality/value choice as long as one of the two models they carry fit your needs and preferences. They will be on an innerspring base in their showrooms which is a little unusual for a latex mattress and if they are a little too soft I would ask them to put it on a firm foundation (or an adjustable bed) which will create a firmer feel and is the type of foundation that is more typically used with a latex mattress. Your specs are correct except they also use an inch of soft polyfoam in the quilting over the latex.

These are also good quality and “better than average” value choice although in most cases (depending on the price at a particular retailer) … they may not be in the same value range as many local manufacturers. There are two lines … one of which uses blended talalay (that they call natural) and one which is more expensive and for most people not as good value that uses 100% natural Talalay (which they call “all natural”). Their naming conventions are confusing or even misleading IMO.

They did just come out with a new lineup that has a slightly different layering and uses what they call “active fusion” fast response latex in the upper layer (which has phase change materials added to the latex which can improve temperature regulation slightly) and the older models may be available in some places for a discount. the new models are still all Talalay latex though.

They also have a lineup called the Hybrid 3.0 line which is also a latex hybrid (various layers of latex over polyfoam) and these include both fast response and slow response latex in the comfort layers but these are in addition to the natural and the all natural line and don’t replace them.

Other than these which are good choices … there may be some other local manufacturers or sleep shops that are worth including in your research. If you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know of any I’m aware of.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Our zip code is 30305 so any info on local manufacturers would be great. OFM is down the street from us so we were delighted to be able to try it their mattresses. I do remember it being “bouncier” than PLB so your suggestion about trying it on a firmer foundation is a good one.

In terms of BBC option, it is our front runner for value. As I mentioned, we are just a little concerned about not being able to try it out first If I understand the new 3.0 Hybrid line from PLB would it be reasonable to assume that this Hybrid with the foam vs latex core might be similar in feel to the BBC option?

If we do end up wanting a 100% latex mattress is seems OFM is our best bet. The “flippability” is an interesting feature but in talking to other mattress salesmen we’ve been told that it’s not neccessary to flip mattresses anymore. Given that the construction configuration in most is base, core, comfort layers, flipping isn’t even an option. But if the constructions is such that the comfort layer is on both sides as it is at OFM do you see this as a feature benefit or just hype?

Also we are looking to put the mattress on a steel platform frame similar to this one from Wal Mart with a bunky board or low profile foundation on top depending on how high the final configuration ends ups. Any concerns about this that we should consider?

Thanks again - I think we are getting close!

Hi! I’m your neighbor in Marietta. If you are in Atlanta you can try Tucker Mattress Company in Tucker Ga…they seem to have a good reputation but I have not been there. Their website is lacking in information so a call would be in order to answer some questions you might have before making a trip.
They are about a 30 minute drive from Marietta.
I ended up getting the Ultimate Dreams Euro-top which will arrive on Monday. I will post a review :slight_smile: $899 for Queen.
The Latex is from Latex International I believe. You can swap out the latex for a small fee if it’s not the right firmness, so that takes some of the risk away.

Hi kelly500,

You have some good options in the Atlanta area (including Tucker Mattress … thanks MW) and they are listed in post #2 here.

Tucker Mattress makes a two sided 6" latex mattress in a choice of ILD which is quilted on both sides with an inch or so of polyfoam. I would also agree it’s always a good idea to talk on the phone with any manufacturer or retailer you plan to visit before going there.

@MW … I’m looking forward to your Eurotop review :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the list of local manufacturers to check out in our area. I think this is the post I used when starting our research which is how we found OFM. Will also make some phones calls to the others.

I too and looking forward to MW Eurotop review. This is our favorite value choice!

Any thoughts on some of the other questions in my previous post?

Also here is the link to the platform bed frame we are considering at Walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Premier-Platform-Bed-Frame/12082083

Again thanks for all the guidance

Hi kelly500,

Sorry for missing them …

No … they could be very different. It would depend on the layer thickness of each layer, the ILD’s of each layer, the type of latex or polyfoam in each layer, the order of the layering, and the type of cover that was used in each. Some versions may be very imilar and some versions may be very different (and this would also be dependent on the more subjective perceptions of each person because different people are more sensitive to some differences between mattresses than others).

It’s usually best to “rate” each mattress against a common set of “standards” (such as the ones in post #2 here) … especially in terms of the two primary functions of a mattress which are pressure relief and support … than to try and “match” two mattresses that are very different from each other.

I think that it would be more accurate to say that with a one sided mattress … flipping is not possible rather than not “necessary”. Even with more durable materials like latex … a two sided mattress would be more durable than an “equivalent” one sided mattress but the tradeoff would be that there is less flexibility in the layering possibilities of a one sided design. Almost everything in mattress construction involves tradeoffs and the differences between a one sided and two sided design is no different. All other things being equal though … a two sided design would be a “durability bonus” and may also be a little more costly because it is finished on both sides instead of one only.

There is a foundation thread here which includes information about many different foundation options but if I was choosing an all latex mattress to go on a wire grid frame … I would personally choose a frame that had more wires and less gaps in between them (such as the ones that are mentioned in the foundation post that have 11 wires) if the mattress was directly on top of it.

You won’t need a foundation or bunky board on top of this type of frame and whether it was a good idea would depend on how securely the foundation or bunky board was on top of the frame. I personally wouldn’t go in this direction and would tend towards risers under the legs instead. If you did decide that it would be OK (for instability or shifting) … then as long as the foundation or bunky board was firm and non flexing and had no more than 3" gaps between the slats (preferably less) … then the wider gaps of the wire grid frame wouldn’t matter as much with a foundation or bunky board on top but again I wouldn’t tend to go in that direction.

Hope this helps and hopefully I answered all your questions this time :slight_smile:

Phoenix