Mattress Decision

I tested these mattresses in store and liked them very much, but I feel like I will be getting screwed in terms of price. I really enjoy the feel of the hybrid design. Are there any beds like these from a manufacturer you recommend? My last mattress was a Sealy Latex bed ($2k) and I got completely ripped off. I’m doing anything I can to keep from repeating this mistake. Any help is beyond appreciated.

us-mattress.com/aireloom-tp-twilight-maple-luxury-firm.html

us-mattress.com/serta-pd-approval-spt-king.html

sleephappens.com/kingsdown-juliet-cushion-firm-mattress-19427/
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: us-mattress.com/aireloom-tp-twilight-maple-luxury-firm.html | Archived Footprint 2: us-mattress.com/serta-pd-approval-spt-king.html | Archived Footprint 3: Mattress Warehouse

Hi Pierce,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps most importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones including all the mattresses you listed or any mattress that uses lower quality or “unknown” materials (see the guidelines here) or that doesn’t provide the information you need to make an informed choice (see this article).

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one but every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” and unless you are able to find out all the specifications of a mattress you are trying to “match” (which you won’t be able to with the mattresses you listed) and then are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same materials, components, and design (which would be very unlikely even if you knew the specifications of the mattresses that you were trying to “match”) then there really isn’t a way to match one mattress to another one based on specifications. Mattress manufacturers also generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so it’s also unlikely that you will find another mattress that is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” one of the mattresses you mentioned in terms of how it “feels” or in terms of PPP.

That doesn’t mean that there aren’t other mattresses that would be just as good or even better in terms of “comfort” and PPP and there would certainly be many mattresses that used the same or better quality and more durable materials … only that they will use different combinations of materials and may not have the same “feel” or exactly the same design and you may prefer one type of mattress over others. Different people can also have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare because of differences in their body weight, sleeping style, or individual circumstances and sensitivities that will affect their experiences on the same mattress so the only way to know how two mattresses compare “for you” in terms of comfort or PPP will be based on your own careful testing or personal experience … regardless of how they may “feel” or compare for anyone else.

In general … it’s usually best to avoid testing mattresses where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality of the materials and components inside it because most of the time you spend testing them will end up being wasted since it certainly wouldn’t be a good idea to purchase them and because you won’t have any meaningful information about the mattresses you tested you also won’t be able to use your testing to help you choose a different mattress.

Phoenix

Yes, I have definitely read through your guides, but it is hard to find a bed that is similar to those that I listed from the 30+ vendors on your membership list. What I am asking for is help finding a bed similar to the ones I listed, from one of your vendors.

Where do you live?

Hi Pierce,

I understand what you are asking but as I mentioned in my previous reply the only way to find another mattress that will “feel” similar to you (regardless of whether it would feel similar to someone else) will be based on your own personal testing or your actual sleeping experience.

I would keep in mind that the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix

Maryland

Hi Pierce,

I’m not sure where you are in Maryland but if you are near Baltimore then the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked in my previous reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

I am basically in Washington D.C. and after reading your link on the Maryland area I think Winndom is a company I might have to try in person.

The bed I have liked the most so far has been a Kingsdown Juliet witch is a hybrid with a 15.5 Ga. pocketed coil using urethane foam 84%, and polyester fiber batting 16% for $2600 before tax.

Hi Pierce,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Washington, DC area (which has some overlap with the Baltimore list) are listed in post #2 here.

The specs you listed are probably from the law tag and don’t provide any meaningful information about the the type or quality of all the materials and layers in the mattress.

If you can find out the information listed in this article and post it on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials inside the Juliet but unfortunately it’s not likely that you will be able to find out the information you need either from Kingsdown or from your retailer (see here). If a retailer or manufacturer either can’t or won’t provide this information then it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of any mattress or make an informed choice and I would pass the mattress by.

Phoenix

I contacted the manufacturer and they will get back to me as soon as the customer service rep can get the information. I did get the advertisement for the bed you may be able to tell me something from that?

Hi Pierce,

Unfortunately (and not surprisingly) the pdf you linked doesn’t include the specific information you would need about the thickness, type, and quality/density of the foam or fiber layers to make an informed choice or for me to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of the mattress.

Phoenix

Finally got some info from the manufacturer hope this helps.

All target densities are in lb/ft3:

Rails – 1.7

Base and Cap foams: 1.25

Comfort Layer: 1.55

Visco: 2.55

Hi Pierce,

The information you provided doesn’t include all the information listed here (about the thickness and placement of all the layers in the mattress) but as you can see in the quality/durability guidelines here it’s enough to know that the materials are mostly low quality materials that would be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability and I would avoid it.

Phoenix

I appreciate your help with keeping me from a poor mattress decision. With your advice I branched away from the “s” brands and found a Gold Bond mattress that I liked. Here is a link, any info on this brand or this specific model would be outstandingly helpful.

http://goldbondmattress.com/uploads/media/Smart_Series-Smart_Series_4000-BlackBkgnd.pdf

Hi Pierce,

[quote] any info on this brand or this specific model would be outstandingly helpful.

goldbondmattress.com/uploads/media/Smart…_4000-BlackBkgnd.pdf[/quote]

The specifics of the materials in a mattress are much more important than the name of the manufacturer on the label but you can see some general comments about Gold Bond in post #4 here.

They tend to use higher quality materials than the major manufacturers and the latex and the innersprings that they list wouldn’t be a weak link in the mattress but if you can find out all the information listed here (either from the retailer who should be able to provide it to you or from Gold Bond) and post it on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress “as a whole” and let you know if I can see any obvious weak links in the mattress.

Phoenix

After more mattress testing I found another and the specs are as follows:

All latex foams are Dunlop Natural/Synthetic blends. Based on our testing, this is the best combination of durability, consistency and feel. Density equals firmness in latex, therefore the densities vary according to the comfort level required.
· All polyurethane and latex foams are produced in the US.
· Latex water-based adhesives.
· No chemical FR additives. FR barriers use Rayon/Silica fibers to create a “char-barrier” to protect the mattress from flame.

The panel fabric, border fabric, filler panel (bottom of mattress) an closing tapes are all produced in NC.
· The wrapped coil unit has three zones for extra support in the middle section. (Higher gauge for extra firmness.) It also uses a higher gauge around the perimeter to enhance side support. (For sitting on the side of the bed and to minimize “roll-out.”) It also includes the foam center divider to further reduce partner disturbance.
· Nominal densities:
o Side rails – 1.75
o 19ILD Latex – 3.4
o Gel Memory Foam – 2.55 (With vertical ventilation)
o Convolute comfort layer 1.55 (With vertical ventilation)

Hi Pierce,

If you could provide the thickness of each of the layers and make sure they are listed either from the top down or the bottom up and that the combined thickness added up to the thickness of the mattress it would be helpful (see this article for the specs you need to know). The side rails are fine but the 2.55 lb gel memory foam and the convoluted 1.55 lb polyfoam are both lower density than I would be comfortable and would be a weak link in the mattress if the thickness of both layers combined was 2" or more. It also looks like the support core of the mattress may be missing.

Phoenix

I would highly recommend going with a Memory Foam or Latex mattress :slight_smile:

Hi ImAbsorbed,

You can read more about the pros and cons of memory foam in this article.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice. The best way for someone to know which types of materials or mattresses they tend to prefer in general will be based on some local testing of different types of mattresses to see if they have a preference of one or more types or materials or mattresses over others.

Some people like memory foam a lot and some people don’t like it at all. Some people will also like some specific memory foam mattress and may not like others at all because there are thousands of different versions of memory foam mattresses that can be very different from each other.

I put all your posts in the same topic because they are mostly the same comment (saying that you like memory foam) and it’s never a good idea to buy a mattress based on someone else’s preferences.

Phoenix

Unfortunately this is the only information they would give me.