Mattress edges

Thank you so much for all the helpful information you provide on The Mattress Underground: invaluable. We are looking at innerspring mattresses, some with latex layer/s on top, some not. In some cases, the springs are encased in 3 inches of high-density poly foam so that (among other things) the outer edges of the mattress are foam. In other cases, the layer of springs extends all the way to the edges of the mattress. Can you tell us your thoughts on these two approaches? Many thanks –

Foam encasing has become quite common with the advent of the one-sided mattress. Having a firmer edge allows for a more usable sleep surface (you may sleep to the edges) and it also provides a firmer edge seating surface. Higher density and firmer foam is desirable, and you want the same type of high quality foam used along the side as is used along the bottom. The foam encasement should be glued into a solid “sandbox” into which the innerspring unit is placed. You don’t want something that is held together with fabric or stapled, or worse yet, not secured at all. If this is not an “adjustable friendly” mattress, a border rod would be beneficial around the innerspring unit.

Mattresses using springs out to the edge are still very common. Make sure the bed uses border rods on the top and bottom of the innerspring unit. “V” shaped clips are common in this configuration to provide extra edge reinforcements. You may also see variations of extruded polyethylene inserts placed within the springs along the edge… Some people don’t like the fact that you can feel the border rod when you sit down on the edge of the bed, or that it sags if the edge is not reinforced.

In the end it comes down to the quality of componentry and quality of assembly, and your preference for how the edge feels. Be sure to test the edge sitting, and most importantly, lying down.

Hi Rupert123,

In addition to Jeff’s very helpful comments (as usual) … there is also some additional information about edge support and foam encasements with innerspring mattresses in post #2 here that may also be helpful.

Phoenix

Hi Jeff and Phoenxi, Thanks for these very helpful comments and especially for getting back to me so quickly – much appreciated! I understand the foam that is used in one of the mattresses I’m considering is a soy-poly blend with a 2.6 density and 21 compression. Based on my very quick skim of Mattress Underground (so much info to review!), I gather this would be a very good foam for both interior and edges – is my interpretation correct? I’ll be sure to check with the manufacturer to see if the foam is glued into the “sandbox,” etc. Thank you again for your expert guidance!

A 21 ILD for the foam edges would be pretty soft, so I’d ask for confirmation on that number.

Hi Rupert123,

Yes … 2.6 lb density polyfoam is a high quality and durable material that exceeds the minimum foam quality/density guidelines here but there may also be other materials and components in your mattress as well so I would make sure that you find out all the information listed here so you can confirm there are no lower quality materials or weak links that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks again to both of you – I’ll be sure to follow up as you suggest. Best regards, Rupert123