Mattress Encasement for 11" DIY Mattress

I would think there must be a balance as I’ve heard from several sources that latex should be able to “breath”, such as you mentioned in a previous post.

Even though I characterize myself as an el-cheapo DIYr, I’ve invested a lot of money in my new mattress and am a little worried that the latex is prematurely deteriorating.

BTW, here’s what I made (bottom to top):

All of this is sitting on a sturdy platform bed frame with a very-solid array of slats–bought off craigslist for $150.

Latex is already very breathable and naturally encourages the evaporation of moisture so breathability is no problem as long as you’re not using vinyl or some other material that has no pores in it around your mattress. Even then the problem would be more with the person sleeping on it than it would with the latex itself. As long as there is air circulation around it this should be no problem with almost all covers. It’s also the reason why I believe that a slatted base is better because even though latex itself is resistant to mold and mildew, the cover around it isn’t and trapped moisture in the cover could be a good breeding ground for either.

The biggest reason for a cover though is to protect the latex from ultraviolet and ozone which are the two things which contribute the most to oxidation and rubber breakdown. As long as the cover is meant to be used as a cover (and not just a mattress “protector”) then there should be no problem. If the cover is not as stretchable as it could be, then it also hinders the ability of the latex to form itself to your body shape and reduce pressure.

Your mattress sounds great. My personal favorite layering with memory foam is an inch of latex over top of about 2" of decent memory foam over latex which would certainly be a possibility with the layers you have … although everyone’s preferences are different of course. I really liked the feel of the Simmons NXG 575 for example although I would never buy one.

I’d be interested in how your Bergad isoform memory foam does over time as there were a lot of good reviews on it when it first came out but more mixed after that. It’s certainly better than a lot of others that are out there :).

If the FBM is really talalay in the ILD’s that you are mentioning, then you did well … better than many others I’ve helped with what turned out to be “unknown” ILD and type of latex from FBM. Strange how they’re so inconsistent.

Phoenix

Well, this 3" comfort layer allows me to swap the 1" latex on top of the 2" memfo during the summer, while possibly extending the life of both pieces. I’ll let you know how it works out over time.

I’ve read a lot of derogatory statements about FBM’s latex. I have say, I can’t tell you what the official ILD of this 3" “32ILD” slab is, but it’s my favorite–very squishy and resiliant and jiggly. I love it and would not hesitate to buy this again from them. I almost decided to go with the 3" of “20ILD” for that reason, but I’ve always liked a bit of memfo in the top layer.

The eBay foam is very good quality, but I have no idea what I got. My Extra-Firm was softer than my Firm which I bought a couples weeks apart from each other (more like the Firm was incredibly more firmer than the Extra-Firm). Turns out it worked but I really don’t know what I got. It all looked like talalay though (as I requested). She’ll work with you up to a point, but I decided to just keep it and assume the 44-ild was a 38; and vice versa.

mattresscover.com

Another possibility?

Hi perevod,

Yes … they are listed in post #4 here and when I talked with them recently they also said that they had access to more than were listed on the site so they may well be worth a phone call.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix - for the reply and for maintaining this great site.

With regard to mattress covers - I was wondering if it makes sense to take a “layered” approach.

As SqueakyDog mentions in his post#11 above, one of the advantages of layered mattress construction is the ability to swap or substitute layers as needed. Rather than buying a heavy-duty quilted mattress cover, would it make sense - in terms of fine-tuning the sleep experience seasonally, for example - to get a couple of less substantial zippered mattress “protectors” and a wool pad?

David

Hi perevod,

I wouldn’t take this approach because mattress protectors and mattress covers/ticking have very different functions. The ticking needs to be more substantial to help keep the shape of the mattress, to protect the materials inside, and to contribute to the design and performance of the mattress. Protectors are just to protect the mattress from fluids and stains and are not designed to be part of the mattress itself. A good tick will work in all seasons.

The modular approach is a good idea with the contents of the mattress but not IMO with a mattress cover/ticking. The cover doesn’t have to be quilted and can be a weave or a knit (more stretchy) but it is a good idea that it is heavy duty fabric and made for the purpose that it will be used. The cover needs to protect and help keep the shape of the mattress on all sides … not just the top. This is especially true with latex which is susceptible to exposure to elements like ozone, ultraviolet light, and body oils and is also prone to tearing if not handled carefully.

Phoenix

I’m trying to decide between the 4 Way Stretch Zipper Cover Non Quilted cover from SleepEZ and the All Natural Bamboo/Cotton cover from SLAB. They are both 60% cotton/ 40% rayon blends. I decided against quilting or a pad because, to paraphrase Brooke Shields, “Nothing gets between me and my memfo.”

My queen-sized mattress is:
2" Aerus
2" Sensus
3" Firm 5.2 lb density 34-36 ILD Natural Latex
1.5" HD36-HQ Conventional Foam Eggcrate
3" LUX-HQ 50 ILD Conventional Foam

I also have a Protect-a-Bed Luxury Mattress Protector.

The SLAB cover is about $40 more, but that isn’t a significant consideration. I’d appreciate any input!

Hi perevod,

You have a very interesting mattress design and I can see you’ve put some good thought and research into it :slight_smile:

The picture on the SleepEz site for their unquilted zip cover isn’t correct and it’s actually higher quality than the picture shows. You can see some pictures of it in post #33 here (the lighting in this picture makes it look darker than it is and it’s actually more off-white).

It’s one of the nicest and best value stretch knit covers that I’ve seen (many have said that it’s even nicer than the Pure Latex Bliss covers) and even though it’s a lower price it would be my personal choice even though both options are high quality and would work well.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

I ordered the cover you suggested from Sleep EZ on 7/14 (Saturday). I was told that it would ship by 7/17 (Tuesday) at the latest.

When I had not received a shipping confirmation by 7/18 (Wednesday), I called Sleep EZ and talked with Sean. He told me that the office was closed on Wednesday so he couldn’t look it up, but he confirmed again that if I ordered it on Saturday, it would have shipped by Tuesday at the latest.

I have just been informed that it shipped today (Thursday) by UPS ground and will be here on Monday.

I had planned to surprise my wife, who has been complaining bitterly about our old mattress, had to go out of town for the last two weeks, and will be returning Sunday.

Oh well. I’m sure she will be surprised by the lovely pieces of foam sitting on the livingroom floor. :angry:

Just thought I’d share.

Hi perevod,

That’s really unfortunate. SleepEz has an amazing record of timely deliveries and service but I guess sometimes stuff happens. The worst part though is that things like this always seem to happen when timing is critical.

I hope your wife isn’t too surprised/upset with you and the foam on the floor … and hopefully she’ll go in the “it’s the thought that counts” direction and when she gets to sleep on the mattress all will be forgiven.

Phoenix

It is not a stretch knit cover. Being that it has a rayon backing that does NOT stretch, the website is deceptive. " 4 way stretch"…no way. In fact, the lack of any info on this mattress cover is deceptive with the ad being a 4 way stretch. The top stretches, but buyer beware, the rayon it’s sewed to does not. I now have what is known as the hammock effect. I wanted to feel the latex and that can only be accomplished with a double stretch knitted encasement.

I’m going to ask for my money back which Jeremy has agreed to.

Mark

Hi Mark in Texas,

The rayon is the fire barrier which is a necessary part of the cover.

You can see some additional comments here (and a better picture) from someone else that purchased it whose experience is quite different from yours (although I think you’ve seen this because you posted in the thread) … but I’m glad that you were able to get a refund and that you at least had a chance to try it.

Phoenix

First let me thank you and the Underground for such an amazing site and for such detailed, well-documented and well-written articles. I’ve never seen so much information and contributions in one place about a subject that is having such a major impact on one’s life.

I live in Canada, my budget is a bit restrictive to go with my ideal mattress so am considering lower budget options … which I know may come at a “price” down the road because of durability, but as I am looking around I have a few questions.

I don’t like the feel of memory foam because of the lack of elasticity that you mention, but I am looking at pocket coils mattress options with polyfoam on top of springs and I’d like to know how does the polyfoam elasticity compare with the elasticity latex or springs? The main article about springs lists 3 grades of polyfoams which are not all “equal” and would like to know if the highest grade of HR poly is comparable in elasticity and durability with latex or the microcoils you mention in your article? Aside from being “plastic” and manmade are there any other disadvantages in using high-grade polyfoam?

Ari

First let me thank you and the Underground for such an amazing site and for such detailed, well-documented and well-written articles. I’ve never seen so much information and contributions in one place about a subject that is having such a major impact on one’s life.

I live in Canada, my budget is a bit restrictive to go with my ideal mattress so am considering lower budget options… Which I know may come at a “price” down the road because of durability, but as I am looking around I have a few questions.

I don’t like the feel of memory foam because of the lack of elasticity that you mention, but I am looking at pocket coils mattress options with polyfoam on top of springs and I’d like to know how does the polyfoam elasticity compare with the elasticity latex or springs? The main article about springs lists 3 grades of polyfoams which are not all “equal” and would like to know if the highest grade of HR poly is comparable in elasticity and durability with latex or the microcoils you mention in your article. Aside from being “plastic” and manmade are there any other disadvantages in using high-grade polyfoam?

I live in Canada, my budget is a bit restrictive to go with my ideal mattress so am considering lower budget options… Which I know may come at a “price” down the road because of durability, but as I am looking around I have a few questions.

I don’t like the feel of memory foam because of the lack of elasticity that you mention, but I am looking at pocket coils mattress options with polyfoam on top of springs and I’d like to know how does the polyfoam elasticity compare with the elasticity latex or springs? The main article about springs lists 3 grades of polyfoams which are not all “equal” and would like to know if the highest grade of HR poly is comparable in elasticity and durability with latex or the microcoils you mention in your article. Aside from being “plastic” and manmade are there any other disadvantages in using high-grade polyfoam?

Hello Ari! Thanks for the kind words. HR polyfoam is a great quality material to use in mattresses, it certainly has a lot of elasticity to it. I would argue more than Dunlop latex and less than Talalay, although perhaps not as long lasting as Dunlop, ultimately it is durable enough to not really be considered a weak point. The one challenge with HR is that it seems to be in very limited availability, particularly in Canada. Microcoils are a little harder to compare to because foam (of all types) is more generally conforming than pocket springs which are more ‘point-elastic’. HR foam will not breathe as well as Talalay latex foam, we really recommend using a wool filled mattress protector over any mattress with polyfoam, something like the St. Dormeir wool mattress protector.

We are working with one of our suppliers to produce a two sided, flippable pocket coil mattress with a couple of inches of 3.4lb HR foam on both sides of the springs, the challenge is that we are likely more than a year away from getting this done in earnest as we will need to order somewhat larger quantities to get the price to where we want it to be (around $1000-$1100 CDN for a queen mattress). Right now the best options I have seen for HR foam are all being used over a standard polyurethane foam core, similar to our Tranquil mattress that we sell online. Not bad for the price, would be better in my opinion to have a good pocket spring system in place of the base foam.

Realistically you might be able to buy a well priced pocket coil mattress from a local independent supplier, one with minimal foam upholstery, if we are operating on the safe assumption that most of the foam used is of a lower density/grade, then I like this less = more approach. Then you save some money on the cost of the mattress but can buy a decent quality topper, perhaps one even made of latex foam.

Cheers!

Hi Mattress To Go.

I greatly enjoyed reading your eloquent and well-documented article on the Hybrid mattress name and the general confusion when using the Hybrid terminology when shopping for a mattress. Mattress to Go…
Great expert and contributor to our community.

Thank’s Jeff… I particularly appreciate your tongue-in-cheek humor. Always brings me a smile.
Phoenix

Hi Mattress To Go.
I greatly enjoyed reading your eloquent and well-documented article on the Hybrid mattress name and the general confusion when using the Hybrid terminology when shopping for a mattress. Mattress to Go… Great expert and contributor to our community. Thank’s Jeff… I particularly appreciate your tongue-in-cheek humor. Always brings me a smile.
Phoenix