Mattress encasement like on Bella Sera Nove 3 mattress

Happy Thanksgiving from Colorado a little early! Thanks so much for your wonderful information on this website. I’m looking for a mattress encasement similar to the Bella Sera Nove 3 cover. I contacted the local retailer and they stated the cost was $1000 for a king size cover!!! My husband and I like the stretchy nature of the cover, allowing the latex later to support as it is designed to. The cover is thin and made of organic cotton and wool. Any ideas where I might find a similar cover that is more affordable? We’re likely going with a stacked latex mattress that we can customize to our liking. Thanks again!

Hi Mother of Murray,

There are some sources of mattress components and layers including mattress covers listed in post #4 here.

Before you begin with a complete DIY mattress design I would make sure you have read some of the posts on the forum about this such as post #15 here and post #5 here and post #7 here so you have realistic expectations. It can be a lot of fun and be a good learning experience but if your main reason for going in this direction is to save money then it may not end up being as cost effective as you believe and choosing some of the “kit” mattresses that are available where you can also choose your own layers may end up being more cost effective and successful (and probably less time consuming).

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix, Just joined but have been obsessively reading posts from this website and others for quite some time. This will be my 4th bed in 10 years, none of them have been cheap and all have failed miserably for me. From my research, I’ve decided that latex makes sense from a temperature control, comfort/support and movement isolation standpoint. We’ve tried several beds now and the issue that keeps coming up is that the mattress encasement interferes with the support provided by the top latex layer of the mattress because of the encasement being either too tight or too thick or both. The sales people then suggest buying another softer topper, which doesn’t make sense to me. However, the Bella Sera Nove 3 encasement was perfect.
I have already spent thousands of dollars on beds that haven’t worked so I have to be very careful now. Because of some inventory reduction sales in my area, I may be able to save some on the layers that we would like, just having difficulty finding a similar cotton/wool encasement that is stretchy and thin like the Bella Sera Nove 3. I would prefer organic if possible. I would consider having one made but haven’t been able to find similar fabric.
You are correct, the DIY method is not cheaper in general. Looking online, I’ve had little luck finding local sources of organic latex foam that are cheaper than organic mattress stores.
Again, thanks for the recommendations for posts but I’ve read them and they were very helpful in getting to this point. I think that the missing info is a recommendation of a similar encasement to the Bella Sera Nove 3 encasement, if you know of any, so that we can take advantage of the inventory reduction sales. Thanks again!

Hi Mother of Murray,

I would keep in mind that the top layers are the “comfort” layers not the support layers and their goal is primarily for pressure relief although it’s certainly true that a mattress cover/quilting can change how the mattress contours to your body (which is part of how a mattress relieves pressure and also “fills in the gaps” in the sleeping profile) and can have a significant effect on the “feel” of the mattress and on the temperature regulation of the mattress as well.

This can often be an effective solution that has helped many people who have purchased a mattress where the comfort layers are either too thin or firm but unless you have the ability to test a mattress / topper combination in person for PPP then adding a topper can add a new variable and would be more risky compared to buying a mattress that you have tested in person and is already a good match for you.

The link I listed in my earlier reply included some good sources for both 100% natural Dunlop latex and organic Dunlop latex as well. There is no organic Talalay latex although there is 100% natural Talalay latex. There is more about the different types of latex (including orgainc Dunlop) in post #6 here (which you may also have read already).

The link I provided also has some good sources of organic cotton/wool covers but I don’t know all the detailed specifics of either the Bella Sera cover or their specific construction (things such as the type and thickness of the cotton, amount of wool, whether only one layer is a stretch knit or whether the backing for the quilting is a stretch knit as well etc). The best suggestion I have would be to have a more detailed conversation on the phone with the suppliers that interest you the most so they can give you more information about their own specific covers although they may not know the details of the Bella Sera cover or be familiar with it so they wouldn’t likely be able to make a direct comparison and would only be able to tell you about the details of the covers they sell.

Phoenix

An update: Sleep EZ looks to be an almost identical cover. Sean was very helpful with placing my order. Having a terrific cyber Monday extended sale that ends tomorrow with almost $1000 off on king size natural dunlop 3 of 3" layers, custom mattress with foundation and free upgraded 2 king size shredded pillows for around 2000.00. has quilted cotton terry cover with wool layer then very stretchy cotton backing. will be delivered in about 5 days. I sound like a commercial but it’s been a long haul with lots of research. If we weren’t so strapped right now, would have gone with local company, the Natural Sleep Store. Had Bella Sera Nove 3 at 2720.00, also inventory clearance of Savvy Rest serenity dunlop layers at $1913 but Savvy Rest return policy was not favorable. I much prefer supporting local business and Andy and his company were very helpful, but just can’t do it right now. thanks again for all your knowledge and advice. I paypalled you!

Hi Mother of Murray,

You certainly had some good options to choose from and it seems to me that you made a great final choice and have good options to do more customizing and fine tuning if you need to. Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments, questions, and kind words and the donation as well … I appreciate them all!

Phoenix

Well, the good news is the mattress encasement is identical to Bella Serra. The bad news is that the bed we ordered from Sleep EZ is disappointing. Shawn was helpful, although I deferred to his expertise and ordered split dunlop S, M, F on both sides when I had planned on ordering S, S, M and S, M, F. I am regretting this choice. My husband I and changed my side to S, S, F which is still too firm and I’m having all the same pressure point pains in shoulders, hips and elbows and some new ones on the tops of my feet. All my husband can say is “this is the hardest bed I’ve ever slept on”. He wished we never got rid of the tempurpedic. In addition, after 3 days of just me sleeping on the bed/platform, one of the platform cross supports is broken and hanging down. I’m normal weight and no one has been jumping in the bed.
Since I ordered this bed to stop having constant pressure point pain in shoulder, hips and elbows and hoped to have better spine alignment without overheating like I have on previous mattresses, I’m considering sending this bed back for a refund. I understand that there is an comfort policy for exchanging layer, however, I think that we would want to exchange 4-5 of the 6 layers plus a new platform. I really don’t want to buy a topper since the cover is stretchy and would allow the top layer to adjust to body contour if it weren’t so stiff. I understand that we’re supposed to wait for several weeks to get used to this latex bed, but the last 4 months have been on really hard beds and it’s unclear to me what is supposed to change. My body hasn’t gotten used to it yet and it’s my understanding that there will be negligible change in the mattress over years, let alone over the next few weeks.
Lastly Bella Sera Nove 3 is on sale, 20% off locally, still dunlop, not returnable, one layer swap, for now is only 300$ more expensive.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mother of Murray,

Although I don’t know your body type and sleeping positions … you appear to be considerably outside of any “averages” if S/S/F is too firm for you. It may also be worthwhile considering a swap for soft talalay as a top layer which will generally feel softer than the equivalent ILD for Dunlop.

The initial break in and “adjustment” period over the first 30 -90 days or so will make a difference as the layers lose any of their initial “false firmness” and the cover stretches and breaks in a bit as well. Once this initial period is complete then further changes will be much more gradual over the years. It may also be worth reading some of the suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful as well.

If you are still finding that the mattress is too firm after the first few weeks along with trying softer combinations or following some of the suggestions in the previous link or from Shawn at SleepEz, then your experience would be rather unusual and outside of the “averages” for most people but you may be one of those that needs even softer latex than most people would do best with. Your experience is unusual enough that I would also make sure that you have the soft layers on top just to make sure you aren’t sleeping on a firmer layer.

The first step would always be to talk with SleepEz about your experience though so they can make some suggestions as well but the good news is that you have the option to return the mattress if none of the many options you have available work well for you.

If you end up considering the Bella Sera then I would make sure that you know the firmness or density of the layers you are considering as well to make sure that they are softer than the ones you have now (or try as part of any layer exchanges) or you could end up with the same issues and no recourse since the materials would be the same and the only difference would be the design (number and thickness of the layers) or the softness/firmness of the latex.

Phoenix