Mattress Exchange - Now on a Pure Latex Bliss...the saga continues...

Hi Wayne77,

I’m glad to hear they are doing the right thing and making things easy for you which is good to see. Everyone can make a mistake but it’s what they do about it that really counts :slight_smile:

The law tag lists theingredients by weight and latex is heavier than polyfoam so it would represent a greater percentage. The bonded foam on the bottom is like rebond with pieces of latex and polyfoam bonded together with a resin. You can read more about it in post #5 and #6 here.

It would surprise me though if the actual latex content was high enough for the mattress to have a 90% latex content and while the previous member I linked received information that it was 90% polyfoam and only 10% latex (which would mean it couldn’t possibly be 90% latex overall) I don’t know if that is the accurate composition. Either way though … it’s a durable material and would be very suitable and good quality base layer and the top layer is also good quality.

Talalay latex is a good quality material no matter what the density (unlike polyfoam and memory foam … density in latex is more about firmness which you can test and not about quality). Just to give you a comparison if you look at the Sealy Embody here you can see that it has 3" of synthetic Dunlop (the lowest cost/quality version of latex) over a much lower quality base layer (it’s under 1.8 lb polyfoam) and it’s significantly more. While it may not be in quite the same value range as the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses … it’s certainly in the “better value” range. It would be difficult to change out the layers in the PLB though (although it could still be done with some real care) because the layers are glued.

I think our thoughts are quite similar about “the bed” :slight_smile:

As you mentioned this would be typical of memory foam and if it was deeper it may just take a little more time to soften. There are several versions of “the bed” which is a lineup rather than a model but like you I really wouldn’t seriously consider any of them. The Aireloom mattresses sure look nice though. Pretty on the outside and lacking in the inside where it counts.

I don’t have any personal experience with them but they use cotton terry over the membrane and are similar to most of the thin membrane types of protectors. I would be aware though that most of these types of protectors seem to have a disproportionate number of issues with developing small holes and not being quite as “waterproof” as they may claim (and then not honoring the warranty) or with the membranes getting stuck together with laundering so I would be very careful with laundering them by themselves, using any harsh detergents, and with any excess heat when I was washing them. They do seem to have among the better feedback though and with products like a protector where how they feel is apparent quite quickly and are not so subjective as a mattress I think reviews may be a little more meaningful than they are with mattresses.

Phoenix