Mattress for a Child

Dear The Mattress Underground,

I have been researching mattresses for my young child for weeks now. It is time to transition the convertible crib/toddler bed now to it’s full size option. I can not make a decision. I have researched innersprings vs memory foam vs latex and can not make up my mind. Our child is very petite but a very active child. I do not want to spend an arm and a leg on a mattress but I also recognize the importance of a good mattress for a growing child. I also would prefer something that is safe as I am concerned about environmental factors children face today more so than when I was a child. It needs to be a full size and the maker of her crib/bed recommends a low profile foundation or the use of a Bunkie board with the mattress. Would you happen to have any suggestions? I am open to purchasing online as I have not found many options in our area where I can purchase them locally.

Thank you!

Hi rgvlubbdfw76,

Post #2 here has some links to the better forum threads and posts about mattresses and children and includes some good sources and ideas for children’s mattresses.

In terms of materials … I would strongly encourage you to avoid memory foam for younger children (there is more about this in the linked posts).

If you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix