Mattress for a special need child

Hello Phonix

I am in the process of picking out a mattress for my 4 year old child trundle twin bed and I am looking at Flexus comfort website . However, I haven’t be able to find any information among which mattress from them either then latex is better for head strong, active/climber 4 year old child. Flexus comfort has 4 options “Natural comfort latex” or “body print pocket coil” or “Posture sense” or Max Rest" option.

The “Natural Comfort latex mattress” is out of my budget but I was looking into the Posture sense-double regular top (10" double sided flipable mattress Twin for $290 and Twin XL $335 or the Max REST double regulat top ( 8" think double sided mattress twin for $145 or Twin XL $170) Not sure which one will be better. The website really doesn’t say how firm are these mattress? Part of what I am struggling with is the appropriate firmness for him.

also I am located in New Jersey do you know any store around here, my estimate budget for a twin bed is $350.00.

Any Suggestions? Please help

Thx

Hi VTELLO,

Post #2 here includes a list of the better forum topics and posts about mattresses and children that would be the first place I would start.

There is no such thing as the “best choice” for a child in terms of materials because it will depend on on your budget and on the materials you are most comfortable with having in your child’s mattress in terms of “safety” and different parents may have very different criteria or opinions about this (see post #2 here and the posts it links to). In many cases if you also spend time with your child with “cuddle time” in bed or reading then it may also depend on your own preferences to some degree as well and of course the durability of the materials and the options you have to make changes to the mattress as they grow older and larger can also play a role as well.

If more resilient or “bouncy” materials are important to you then innersprings and/or latex can also make good choices.

As far as firmness … I would tend towards medium or firmer comfort layers (or in some cases in a medium soft range for children that are lighter or that are more sensitive) and I would tend to avoid memory foam for children or any comfort layers that are too soft because growing children tend to do better with firmer mattresses because they have a “flatter” body type than adults that have more curves or a bigger difference between their hips, waist, and shoulders and need a mattress that is more contouring.

If you are considering an online purchase then the most important part of the process outside of your initial more basic research into different materials would be a more detailed conversation on the phone with any online retailer or manufacturer you are considering (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). Any knowledgeable and experienced online retailer or manufacturer such as Flexus (or more knowledgeable local stores as well) would be able to give you good guidance and “talk you through” the options they have that would be the best match for your child in your budget range or based on any other criteria that were important to you. They will know more about which of their mattresses or firmness options would be most suitable for children than anyone else.

[quote]also I am located in New Jersey do you know any store around here, my estimate budget for a twin bed is $350.00.

Any Suggestions? Please help[/quote]

If you can let me know your zip code or the city in NJ where you live I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

If you can let me know your zip code or the city in NJ where you live I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix
[/quote]

Hello Phoenix,

My zip code is 07109
city: Belleville

Thank you

Hi VTELLO,

The better local options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Northern NJ area are listed in post #7 here.

Phoenix

Hello,

I finally decided on twin side mattress for my child, since he has many allergies I thought the most organic would be better choice.
Two-Sided Pure Echo Organic Cotton Natural Mattress from mygreenmattress $595 minus the discount. Should be coming in two weeks… :cheer:
My next obstacle is trying to find nontoxic waterproof pad or ecasement since he sometimes has accidents. What do you recommend?

Thank you
V

Hi VTELLO,

I think you certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

There is more information about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some good sources for each of them in post #89 here that should be helpful. It also includes a link in the last paragraph to a post that has more information about mattress encasements that may be a better option for those that have more severe dust mite allergies.

Phoenix