Mattress for a storage platform bed (plywood base)

I have a queen platform bed with storage drawers underneath and a flat plywood top. There is just a mattress on top - springs now, have tried tempurpedic clone in the past which was OK for awhile. It is time for a new one. I am a side sleeper and usually wake with some pains in my back and knees.

Naturally looking at the web I am totally confused. I am looking at:

1. McCroskey (traditional construction, incredibly expensive at $4,000 for a classic mattress plus protector pad ), great quality in the past but recent reviews are spotty - they changed something around 2005 - 2007). 10 year non-prorated warranty.
  2. Saatva ($1,200 by the time I add a spring section to the mattress and pay for removal),
  3. European Sleepworks which has the Berkeley Ergonomic. - seems to need slats. Not sure of price - $1,600 ro $1,800

My questions are do I need a spring section or slats?, Are there others I should consider?

Thanks!

Hi gangel99,

In case you haven’t read it already … the first place I would start is post #1 here and the information and guidelines it links to. This can help you eliminate the worst choices and focus on the better ones.

I tend to agree with your assessment of McRoskey as yiou can see at the beginning of post #3 here.

You can see more of my thoughts and analysis of Saatva in this thread.

I think highly of Berkeley Ergonomics and the people at European Sleepworks and IMO they have good quality and value. A forum search on Berkeley Ergonomics (you can just click this) will bring up much more information and feedback about them (NOTE: they are now making their own mattresses in a similar range of designs). The Tension adjustable base they sell is an option not a requirement and in some cases a firm slatted base may work just as well or better. A slatted base (as opposed to a solid surface) is usually a better option for an all latex mattress with a latex base (or any all foam mattress) because it improves ventilation and humidity control and reduces the risk of mold and mildew as well as dust mites. You can see more of my thoughts about this in post #7 here. A flexible slatted base (either tension adjustable or not) will also feel and perform differently than the same mattress on a solid surface (either slatted or a solid surface) and I would take this into account in your choice as well.

If you are in the San Francisco area … the list of better options and possibilities I’m aware of are in post #2 here.

Phoenix