Mattress for back pain

Thanks. I know I saw a post somewhere where you talk in detail about the frequency and direction that you recommend flipping mattress layers, but I can’t seem to find it. Do you happen to know the one I’m referring to?

As a side note, I’m impressed by your ability to pull up relevant posts at seemingly a moment’s notice. You must have a very good record-keeping system.

Hi davess,

I think you are referring to post #2 here.

I kind of “cheat” because I keep a list of several hundred reference posts that I use in my replies.

At some point in the future they will all be in a separate “research center” under itemized topics that will be easier to find than searching through the forum (and getting hundreds of results besides the post you are looking for) which will save me time in linking them in reply to questions but it will take some time to re-write or update or amalgamate some of the posts that contain duplicate information and remove any “extraneous” information as well before this happens.

Phoenix

That’s the one. Thanks again!

The mattress is breaking in a bit, and we’re still loving it. I took the cover off today to try to align the layers better, and it turns out that they’re not lined up because they are all slightly different sizes (the upper polyfoam layer is wider than the lower layer and so hangs off both sides, etc.). Functionally this doesn’t really make much difference, but it seems strange to feel the side of the mattress and not have it be even. Is this normal?

Hi davess,

It’s possible that one or more of the layers is either stretched or bunched and if you pick up the edge of the layers and “wave” them into position like you would a sheet (rather than pulling or pushing on the foam) then it may even out the layers.

It’s also not unusual for foam layers to have variances in their size in the range of =/- an inch but if one of them is clearly larger than the others then it’s not difficult to trim the excess off. There are some instructions for cutting foam in post #3 here and some additional posts about cutting foam with more comments and some pictures in post #19 here and post #1 here. Foam Order would also be able to trim it for you as well.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. We will probably let it break in for a few more weeks, and then if we’re still happy with it ask Foam Order to come adjust it. Will keep you posted.

I’ve been sleeping on my new mattress for almost a month now, and it’s been great, with one exception. It supports me well, and I haven’t been having back pain, and I like the feel of it a lot. The only issue is that my hand has been falling asleep. I used to sometimes sleep with my arm under the pillow, which would cause that arm/hand to get numb, but that’s not the case here. After I got the new mattress I also bought a new pillow (after some trial and error with latex pillows that weren’t quite right I ended up with the Biogreen Trillow, which I like a lot) and so have been sleeping with both arms free.

Strangely (at least to me) it’s the opposite hand that’s been falling asleep – I’m a side sleeper, and mostly sleep on my right side with my left arm resting on top of my body. I’ve been waking up generally once a night with my left hand very much asleep. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Hi davess,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it

It’s great to hear that your mattress is working out well for you and that you aren’t experiencing any back pain.

While it doesn’t sound like a mattress issue … I don’t know what could be causing this except to say that there is most likely something in your sleeping posture that is causing some restriction of circulation in your hand or the arm above it (wrist, elbow, or shoulder) that is causing your hand to fall asleep. It may be worth putting a thin pillow in between your upper arm and your torso to see if it helps.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I’m excited to finally have a mattress that works for me, and I have a feeling that, with the quality of the materials that Foam Order uses, it will last for quite a long time!

davess wrote:

I’ll add to the comments that Phoenix left.

It certainly could be something environmental (a change in your body) that coincidentally corresponds to the mattress changes you’ve made. With the pillow change it could also result in a different lateral angle of your cervical region that could be causing this phenomenon.

Besides the pillow idea Phoenix mentioned, you could also try using a large pillow or a body pillow up against your torso, creating a ledge upon which you could rest your free arm. This happens to work well for me.

Additionally, you can consider performing some basic flexibility movements for your upper torso / neck area.

You should be able to feel some relief between the ideas presented here and from Phoenix.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Just a quick update here: 9 months later and still loving the mattress. It’s broken in nicely, and provides exactly the support and comfort I needed. Very happy with the purchase.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=62343]Hi davess,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it

It’s great to hear that your mattress is working out well for you and that you aren’t experiencing any back pain.

While it doesn’t sound like a mattress issue … I don’t know what could be causing this except to say that there is most likely something in your sleeping posture that is causing some restriction of circulation in your hand or the arm above it (wrist, elbow, or shoulder) that is causing your hand to fall asleep. It may be worth putting a thin pillow in between your upper arm and your torso to see if it helps.

Phoenix[/quote]

Hi davess,

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide an update. I’m happy that you’re still sleeping well and are happy with your purchase. :cheer:

Phoenix