Mattress for high BME. Hybrid latex preferred

Hi,

Thanks for the great information you have on this website and for taking the time to respond.

I hope you can help recommend a few mattress vendor for me to look at. My BME is 35, my wife’s is 25. We’re both side sleepers. Motion control is a high priority as is a mattress that’s good at not retaining heat.

I wish I found this site 7+ years ago and read your article on choosing a mattress then. That’s when we spent too much on a TempurPedic, which was extremely comfortable for us falling asleep, but waking up was always painful. A couple of years later, we splurged on a Beautyrest Black Brooklyn, which is a hybrid with coils and some form of gel memory foam. Again, super comfortable to fall asleep to, but 5 years later and we’re regularly waking up in pain. When we keep the room extremely cold, it helps (I assume we sink less into the memory foam); we’ve since tried a feather topper and finally a wool topper, which have both helped, but there’s a lot of room for improvement. Both mattresses are failing at pressure relief and as we sleep posture/alignment gets much worse than when it started. Between the two of us, we regularly end up with pains in the hips, back, and rotator cuff, from sleeping.

Now that I’ve read information here, I know the memory foam isn’t right for my BME (and if we had to go memory foam, the density was too low).

Ideally, I believe I’m looking for a latex + coil spring + wool hybrid mattress that would be suitable for my size. From other advice you’ve given, it seems like I should be looking for coils that are 13 gauge or larger and a higher density latex. I’d like a layer of wool on top, to help with coolness.

Can you recommend vendors – either online or in the MA/NH area – that would carry or make mattresses like this? I live in NH and work in Boston.

I’m completely flexible with a budget. I assume this will cost $3-4k for a king, would obviously be happy spending less, and would spend more if that’s what it takes.

Thanks again!

Hi extrabitter.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! Thanks for your kind words.

As a starting point and because from your what you later describe in this post it seems that you narrowed down your decision on the componentry of your mattress (as you have read through the information on this site :slight_smile: ), I would add that I can certainly help you with how to choose, but it is not possible for me to make very specific recommendations as this depends entirely on your personal needs and preferences and no theory at distance can replace your careful testing and/or your own personal experience.

High BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). This could be firmer latex or innersprings (the type of support component would be a personal preference and in the right design either could be suitable) or even a zoned construction. The same overall guidelines apply with higher weights though that PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) along with using high quality durable materials that will maintain their feel and performance for longer periods of time are the way to make the best choices. Heavier people in general will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. I wouldn’t “rule out” any types of mattress and base your choices on your own personal testing. Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

Post #2 here has some generic guidelines for different body types and sleeping positions, the first part of post #2 here also has more information about couples that have a larger weight differential and post #14 here has more about the benefits of thicker comfort layers and thicker mattresses (most of these are in the tutorial post but I thought I’d highlight them here as well)

You are correct that the memory foam is the least breathable foam and can sleep warmer than other materials.

You are correct that the temperature and humidity in your bedroom can change the “softness” or “hardness” you are experiencing when sleeping on memory foam. The sensitivity to heat that memory foams have can lead in some cases to a mattress becoming “too soft” or “too hard” and can also change its feel from season to season or from what you experienced in the store depending on environmental conditions. Different types of memory foam can be more or less sensitive to this but it can be more important to control the temperature of your bedroom with some memory foams than it is with others or with other materials.
The feather and wool toppers you’ve added to your mattress may have helped with both the temperature regulation and sinking less into the mattress as the added layer between you and the memory foam layer obstructed the direct heat transfer between you and the memory foam thus lessening its heat issues.

Latex with natural fibers in the quilting (such as wool) and fabrics that can wick away moisture and help it evaporate more to assist with temperature regulation, and firmer will tend to be cooler than softer. There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system inpost #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

[quote] Now that I’ve read information here, I know the memory foam isn’t right for my BME (and if we had to go memory foam, the density was too low).

Ideally, I believe I’m looking for a latex + coil spring + wool hybrid mattress that would be suitable for my size. From other advice you’ve given, it seems like I should be looking for coils that are 13 gauge or larger and a higher density latex. I’d like a layer of wool on top, to help with coolness. [/quote]

I tend to agree that this seems to be a good choice of materials for your specific preferences and needs.

I’m currently discontinuing the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are a vetted member here of the site.), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was creating with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground. Such an assumption was unfair to both the consumers seeking assistance, as well as the very businesses and manufacturers who have indeed qualified the be members of The Mattress Underground.

Whatever direction you chose to go with your purchase I would always confirm that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and also make sure that any mattress that you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here.

At a quick glance here are few options from site members that you may wish to consider:

Gardner Mattress 3 locations (MA Salem / Woburn / Newton) they carry all mattress types and can help you customize your mattress to meet your specific needs.
Yankee Mattress Factory has 4 showrooms (Agawam, Springfield, Northampton, Greenfield, MA) and their Black Collection has a latex spring options.
4 showrooms (Agawam, Springfield, Northampton, Greenfield, MA)
LumaSleep (Online only) carries customizable latex hybrid options.

You may also wish to visit Spindle Mattress with a showroom in Acton, MA carries some Latex and All Latex customizable options, just to confirm or rule out an all latex mattress configuration.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

Below are some or our members that carry latex hybrid and ship nationally. There may be shipping costs associated with purchasing innerspring mattresses:

Bedmasters ships from FL
Beloit ships from IL
Flexus Comfort ships from CA
Midwest Mattress (CA, SanDiego)
Magic Sleeper
My Green Mattress
Mattress To Go carries better quality value national brands.
Nest Beddingnational
Novosbed
Quality Sleep Shop
[url=https://www.texasmattressmakers.com/]Texas Mattress Makers
ships from TX
LumaSleep

It is great that you have more flexibility budget wise as this will give you more options and allow you to find better mattresses and not trade off price for quality.

I look forward to hear what your finalists are and I would be happy to answer any further question you may have about them.

Phoenix

Thanks for all of the information.

After researching all of those, and speaking with a few companies, I ended up ordering the Ultimate Hybrid Pocket Coil/Latex from Arizona Mattress. I already had some familiarity with them, based on a 6" latex kids mattress I had purchased, and they were pleasant to do business with.

I spoke with Ken, who was extremely helpful on narrowing down my choice. In the end, I went with a side-by-side (plush/medium) 3" Talalay top, which was Ken’s recommendation based on weight and side sleeping.

Thanks again, and I’ll report back after sleeping on it for a bit.

Hi extrabitter.

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer:

I am happy you reached out to Ken to help find the most suitable option for you.
You certainly made a great quality/value choice …

As you’re aware Arizona Premium our trusted members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry. You chose a product using high quality and durable materials.

I look forward to your update once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix