Mattress for toddler

Hi i am searching for a new mattress for my three year old toddler. I have been calling around the stores to get a quote. Unfortunately i cannot afford thr pure all natural latex. Imhave been quoted a decent price for a toddler mattress by a factory direct store recommended here located in toronto.

He can do a 1.5" quilt top with bamboo/wool. Followed by a 2" talalay latex (only medium ild so approx 28-32 ild) followed by a 5" soybean boyfoam (1.8lb) which is made in canada which inguess is as safe as being certiour? My question is would this be too soft for a toddler? Would i be better off by skipping the latex layer and have the 1.5" quilting on top only? Or keep latex there? He said he only has access to two latex and this is the firmer of the two.

I did call another shop and spoke to the owner who was super helpful. He pretty much said he could do also the same as above. But thr latex he could do is talalay also with ild of 35. With a 5" polyfoam 1.8lb density. But it would cost almost double.

Hi Viktor,

Post #2 here includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattresses and children that include more information, guidelines, and sources for buying a mattress for a child that should be helpful.

[quote]He can do a 1.5" quilt top with bamboo/wool. Followed by a 2" talalay latex (only medium ild so approx 28-32 ild) followed by a 5" soybean boyfoam (1.8lb) which is made in canada which inguess is as safe as being certiour? My question is would this be too soft for a toddler? Would i be better off by skipping the latex layer and have the 1.5" quilting on top only? Or keep latex there? He said he only has access to two latex and this is the firmer of the two.

I did call another shop and spoke to the owner who was super helpful. He pretty much said he could do also the same as above. But thr latex he could do is talalay also with ild of 35. With a 5" polyfoam 1.8lb density. But it would cost almost double. [/quote]

I think that these would both be in the range (medium to medium firm) that would be a suitable firmness for a toddler.

Like all mattress choices … there is no such thing as the “best choice” for a child in terms of materials because it will depend on on your budget and on the materials you are most comfortable with having in your child’s mattress in terms of “safety” and different parents may have very different criteria or opinions about this but polyfoam that is CertiPUR certified would be “safe enough” for most parents that either didn’t have the budget for more natural but more costly materials or where more natural materials in all the layers in a mattress weren’t as important a part of their choice.

With a child’s mattress where personal testing isn’t important or even possible because they can’t provide meaningful input about which mattress is “best” for them anyway … it may also be worth including some of the online choices that are available to you in your research and post #21 here includes a list of retailers and manufacturers that ship across Canada that may also be worth considering.

Phoenix