Mattress help because it's a dirty business

Thanks…I’m a 6’1 225 lb side sleeper. My wife can sleep on and through anything and her bmi is less than mine. I’ll check these latex mattresses out.

Hi kc12,

I certainly get asked very similar questions every day but I’m always happy to answer them :slight_smile:

My reply would be the same as my reply in post #2 here (after the “HELP? Suggestions?” quote).

You can see some comments about Saatva in post #2 here and the posts it links to that I would make sure you read before considering a Saatva mattress.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the durability guidelines here relative to her weight/BMI range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). Different people just prefer different types of materials or mattresses but the only way to know which types of materials or mattresses or firmness levels she may tend to prefer in very general terms will be based on her own local testing or her own personal experience.

An innerspring isn’t normally the weakest link in a mattress and the durability and useful life of an innerspring mattress will depend much more on the quality and durability of the materials or components that are on top of the innerspring than on the innerspring itself. If the innerspring in a mattress is firm enough to keep you in good alignment and a mattress “as a whole” is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) then it’s very unlikely that an innerspring would be an issue in terms of durability.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Lubbock area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks I’m even more confused than when I started. Every page has links that lead you to links that lead you to another set of links.

Hi kc12,

The links are designed to provide more in depth information for those that want it (and many do) but you certainly don’t need to follow every link once you have the basics about the section you are reading. If you follow all the steps in the tutorial one at a time you really won’t go wrong.

As I mentioned in the tutorial …

In its simplest form though … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight/BMI range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress (see the durability guidelines here).

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix you are definitely the type of guy that goes above and beyond and I admire that! When I go to any local retail store all they have are the S brands. So my options seem limited. If I buy one online there is no way of knowing if I will like it. If you asked me…what’s the best bbq in Kansas City? I would say Arthur Bryant’s for burnt ends,Oklahoma joes for sandwiches, Zarda for ribs and nostalgia, and for an expensive meal that has everything try Jack Stack! Can you give me a recommendation like this lol!!!

Hi kc12,

My first reply includes a link to a list of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Lubbock area that will help you avoid the “S” brands.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

A good online retailer or manufacturer will generally suggest a mattress that they honestly believe has the best chance of success based on the information you provide them when you talk to them on the phone because this is in both your own and their best interests but again at the end of the day the only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience so if you can’t test a specific mattress in person then the options you have available after a purchase to either exchange the mattress or individual layers or components or return the mattress for a refund (and any costs involved) would generally become a more important part of your personal value equation just in case a mattress you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Mattress purchases have many more subjective variables than barbecues which are a much more “objective” purchase.

Each mattress category can include hundreds of different mattresses with a very wide range of different designs, different “feels”, different characteristics, and different firmness levels. Every individual layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting material) will affect the feel and response of every other layer and component both above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” so each mattress category will generally include some mattresses that have a design that will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP and others that use the same type of materials and components and are in the same category and may be just as durable but have a different design or firmness level that may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on … even if it uses the same general type of materials and components.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or whether anyone else has the same needs and preferences, criteria, or circumstances or would make the same choice.

Unfortunately nobody has a crystal ball that can predict which specific mattress or combination of materials and components you will like best or that you will sleep best on with any certainty based on specs or “theory at a distance” and I would be very skeptical of anyone who claims that they do. It just doesn’t exist.

Phoenix

Every local place you named is closed with the exception of Denver mattress. Looks like saatva for me!

Hi kc12,

Thanks for the heads up. Denver Mattress would certainly be worth a visit but I took another look in the area and updated the list as well.

While you are the only one that can make your final choice of course … I would make sure you read the post I linked in my previous reply about Saatva because there are better quality/value options available to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix who makes a better innerspring/hybrid mattress for less than 2k than saatva?

Is wink mattress any better?

Hi kc12,

That’s a very short question but unfortunately it’s much too broad to provide a specific answer but I can certainly make some comments that can help you … although some of them are a repeat of some of the information in my previous replies.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Each mattress category can include hundreds of different mattresses with a very wide range of different designs, different “feels”, different characteristics, and different firmness levels. Every individual layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting material) will affect the feel and response of every other layer and component both above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” so each mattress category will generally include some mattresses that have a design that will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP and others that use the same type of materials and components and are in the same category and may be just as durable but have a different design or firmness level that may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on … even if it uses the same general type of materials and components.

I would also keep in mind that there is no such thing as “one mattress fits all” and like any mattress the Saatva mattress may be the “best” match for a relatively small percentage of people, a “good” match for a larger percentage, and an “OK” match for a larger percentage yet but the only way to know for certain whether any online mattress you end up choosing will be a “good enough” match for you to keep it (even if it isn’t the “best match” out of all the mattresses that you “could have tried” instead) will be based on your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

Many online mattresses (including Saatva) have a good trial period and return policy so you can try them in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk (outside of the time you spend sleeping on it and/or returning it if that becomes necessary or any costs involved in the return process which in the case of Saatva would be about $100) so if it’s not a “good enough” match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) you can just return it and try another mattress if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for but once again you will only know whether it’s “good enough” and you won’t know whether it would have been better or worse or how it compares to other mattresses that you could have purchased instead that you haven’t actually tried in person. This is one of the disadvantages of buying a mattress online that you can only try “one at a time” vs local testing in a store where you can compare many mattresses side by side at the same time.

The issue with Saatva is that it uses some lower quality and less durable materials that don’t meet the durability guidelines here and that I would consider to be a weak link in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress.

The simple answer to your question though is that only you can decide whether any mattress is “better” than another one in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP based on your own careful side by side testing or your personal experience on each of them but in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress then any mattress that meets the durability guidelines would make a more durable choice.

This would include hundreds of innerspring mattresses that are sold either online or locally but this is the part of research that you would need to do for yourself because for obvious reasons it would be impossible for me to take the time list every mattress in a specific category for each of the members that post here and even if I did it would be overwhelmingly confusing to choose between hundreds of different mattresses that you haven’t tried in person.

There are a few examples of online innerspring mattresses of various types in post #6 here which also includes a link to a list of innerspring/latex hybrids in post #2 here and many of them meet the durability guidelines and are also inside your budget range.

If you are also interested in any other mattress that you come across in your research and you find out specifications listed here and post them on the forum I’d also be happy to let you know whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a reason for concern.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or whether anyone else has the same needs and preferences, criteria, or circumstances or would make the same choice.

Phoenix

My spouse and I have been sleeping on the hybrid from Arizona Premium Ultimate Hybrid- Pocket Coil/Latex for about a month now and absolutely love it. Our queen w/ the foundation was about $1300. They don’t really have a trial period other than the option to swap out the comfort layer for different firmness but I was certain enough we’d like it that I was willing to take the risk. It is a simple mattress (literally just the coils and latex on top with the cover, no other padding or foam layers) . Ordering blind was a little scary, but I knew from sampling ar stores that I liked coil hybrids but hated memory foam feeling so we took a chance that we would like latex and it has been great. We are both much more on the “can sleep on anything” side of the spectrum. I’m a chunky (bmi over 30) stomach/side sleeper with some lower back issues and he’s a skinny side sleeper with no issues. I know everyone is different, but APM is a great option at a lower price point (not paying extra to cover trial periods).

Hi ComfortSeeker,

Thanks for the update … and it’s great to hear that your mattress is working out so well for you.

Just for reference and for the sake of others that may be reading this … they do have a 60 day trial period but the customer would pay any courier costs involved for return shipping.

Phoenix

Ok ok…Looking at plushbeds, luma, and Arizona. Am I on the right track now?

Hi kc12,

Yes … there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of these three mattresses that would compromise their durability or useful life or be a reason for concern relative to any BMI range. If you have talked with each of them on the phone and are confident that one or more of them would be a good match in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (and/or you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you aren’t) and they compare well to your other finalists based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course) then they would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Slight lean towards Luma and Plush because they have longer trial periods. This is tough

Hi kc12,

FWIW … most people will know how well they will sleep on a mattress over the longer term after about 30 days or so although for a few people it may take a little longer (see post #3 here).

Phoenix

Phoenix do you see any major differences in these mattresses or companies?

Narrowed it down to LumaSleep.com or Arizona. This is hard to pick

Hi kc12:

Arizona Premium mattress is the manufacturer that makes the Sedona Sleep mattress and they have been in business online since 1997. They have far too many quality options for me to list here. They are also one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, knowledge, service, and transparency.

Luma Sleep was launched in January of this year (see here) and they are one of many newer online companies that have launched over the last year or two. Lumasleep is a trademarked name that is owned by Apollo Mattress LLC and they are based in Midgeville, GA.

Two of the three founders, Steve Russo and Jim Siragusa, have extensive experience in the industry and the third, David Barnum, has a background in design and marketing.

In terms of their mattresses …

The basic Luma Mattressincludes the following layers and components …

1.5" of blended talalay latex
8" pocket coil
1" high density polyfoam stabilization and base layer.

It is available in two firmness levels and the mattress can be exchanged for the other firmness level for a year after a purchase.

The Latex Hybrid Slumber System includes …

The Luma Mattress
A 3" blended Talalay latex topper (with a choice of 3 different firmness levels)
Two queen size Talalay latex pillows
A mattress protector.
The topper can be exchanged for a different firmness level for a year after a purchase.

[UPDATE JAN. 31, 2017]
Note:Luma’s Bus Profile here For any ongoing updated specs on their lines please checkout
Their All-Latex Slumber System includes …

2" Two-choice comfort blended Talalay latex
2" Medium blended Talalay latex
6" firm blended Dunlop latex

The 3" Talalay latex topper in your choice of 3 firmness levels
Two queen size Talalay latex pillows
A mattress protector
White glove delivery.
The topper can also be exchanged for a different firmness level for a year after a purchase.

There are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of any of their mattresses that would be a reason for concern. They also have a one year return/refund policy.

Your best resource for the differences between any mattresses you are comparing would be a detailed conversation directly with the brands in question. They would be best able to go into detail about any particular model and its complete makeup.

Phoenix