Mattress Help for Sydney Australia!

Hello from Sydney Australia!

I’m in the market for a new mattress and stumbled across this gem of a website, thank you to all the experts here for all you do, it’s made my mattress shopping journey a lot easier. A bit of background about me. I am 6 foot and 85kg. I am a back sleeper but I move around a lot in my sleep - I’ve been having shoulder pain from a sports injury so I try to always sleep on my back but I always subconsciously move in my sleep to my side so I would say I’m a 80% back sleeper and 20% side sleeper. I have been sleeping on a very firm mattress and have been developing pretty bad lower back pain, and hence am in the market for a new mattress. I am also allergic to dust mite. Based on everything I’ve read in the tips and tricks, I have concluded that I would like to go in the direction of a latex mattress. I basically want to purchase the best mattress possible regardless of budget so that I can take care of my body in the long run as I’ve spent way too much money on physios and chiros already and I’m still quite young. Please correct me if I’m wrong if you believe there is a mattress material combination which would be better for me than a full latex mattress.

In my research, I have narrowed it down to three companies:

1. Ikea Vatnestrom (VATNESTRÖM Pocket sprung mattress, extra firm/natural, 180x200 cm - IKEA)
    This is Ikea’s only natural latex mattress. Ikea doesn’t disclose much information about this mattress on their website so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or would be able to help me decipher whether this is a good mattress or not? Would appreciate if anyone would be able to see how this Ikea one stacks up against the other two below, and whether it would be worth buying?

2. Aurora Mattress from Ausbeds (Check Out Our Aurora Mattress Online | Ausbeds)

3. Latex Bedding Co (I’m probably looking to get the Euro mattress, although I would probably also consider the Danube mattress) (Revor Latex Mattresses | Latex Mattress Sydney)

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Hi drakdaystar.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing your details and sorry to hear of the sore shoulder.

As you may have read in our article on sleeping positions: Back sleeping is the second most common position and has a slightly less curvy profile than side sleeping. The “gap” that needs to be filled in with the comfort layer for pressure relief is generally the small of the back (the lumbar area) and because the “gaps” in your profile are not quite as deep as in side sleeping, a slightly thinner top layer will generally work a little better. In back sleeping in other words a slightly shallower cradle is needed. A good starting point for a back sleeper is 2" of softer material on top of your mattress and then increasing or decreasing from there depending on other factors like weight, preferences, or other sleeping positions.

The 2nd and third options you shared seem to meet the comfort layer thickness recommendation of 2" - it was hard to tell with the Ikea bed. The Aurora is the one that gave me the most confidence in terms of durability and as a potential match for your needs.

Have you been able to do any testing?
NikkiTMU

Thanks Nikki. I’ve tried the mattresses but am struggling to decide between a full latex and latex/spring hybrid. Any tips on that?

Hi drakdaystar.

The difference comes down to preference! Hybrids vs all latex have been compared to the difference between angel food cake and pound cake. Hybrids tend to sleep a bit cooler and maintain the traditional “bounce” of an innerspring which many people enjoy and prefer. All-foam is excellent for motion isolation and many configurations afford for layer swapping in a way that hybrids just can’t.

NikkiTMU

Hi Nikki, I’m the owner of ausbeds mentioned in this thread. I just stumbled upon this thread, perhaps a few months too late. I make the aurora in my factory in Sydney, and it’s by far my best seller. I have read the mattress underground since I began in the mattress business 12 years ago.

It was reading these forums that drove me to create the mattress range that I have. One page that changed the way I do things was the springs page on your website. \

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/spring-mattress-buying-guide

I used this page to develop my pocket springs, which was the biggest change in my business. I got into contact with the owner of Berkely ergonomics (who I think wrote the springs guide), and he was able to guide me in the right direction when I started making them myself. These honeycomb-type pocket springs reduced my returns to ridiculously low levels. Also, the ability to customize within the customer’s home has helped immensely.

So thanks for the great website. Websites like this are what the internet was made for, real information to help people. I constantly have people ring me in different cities in Australia asking what to buy in their city. I made a page to help them. I tried to write it based on my experience. Here is the link! I’m not sure if you can put it somewhere to help Aussies looking for mattresses? It’s a work in progress but the info is good.