Mattress Help - Latex vs. Latex Hybrid and Adjustable Bed Foundations

Hi All:

My husband and I are shopping for our first “real” mattress, and we are on information overload. I stumbled across this site and I am already so grateful for the wealth of information you provide to consumers. I have read many posts on here and have narrowed down some of our choices and now I am looking for confirmation that I am on the right track.

We are overweight (280 lbs and 240 lbs) and we both sleep hot. For those reasons, I think we should go with latex or at least a latex/polyfoam hybrid. We both shift around regularly but tend to be side-sleepers or stomach sleepers. We decided we will purchase an adjustable foundation, which I hope will help us shift to more regular sleeping on our backs.

Before I discovered this website, we tried multiple Tempurpedics and Serta iComforts in person. My husband likes the bed to be super plush so he can “sink in.” I’m concerned that any super plush top layer will compress and break down too quickly given our weights. For reference, we liked the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe Breeze and the iComfort Acumen and Epic. Again, while I liked the plush feel I am very concerned about sinking in too deep so it will be difficult to move around and/or we lose support.

We are getting a King bed. I would like to keep the total for mattress + adjustable bedframe under $4000 if possible, but we could go up to $4500 if it would make a significant difference.

I have been looking at the Dreamfoam options, and am really looking to compare the Ultimate Dreams Total Latex (10" total: 3" Comfort Layer of Talalay Latex and 6" Support Layer of Talalay or Dunlop Latex) vs. the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex (12: total: 3" Comfort Layer of Talalay Latex and 8" Support Layer of 1.5 lb HD poly foam). I know the 1.5 lb polyfoam in the support layer is ultimately inadequate, but since it is half the price of the Total Latex, we would be able to replace it sooner. Is the Total Latex mattress worth paying DOUBLE the price of the Eurotop? Is it likely to last TWICE as long?

Since my husband likes his bed very soft, I wonder if we should get a firmer bed for the support aspect and then add a softer latex topper. I’m relatively comfortable with ordering online, but I’m afraid I will get the firmness wrong and have to spend a lot of time I don’t have shipping the comfort layer back and forth.

We are in Rochester, NY and we are considering going to Jamestown Mattress to see if we can lay on some latex options. We haven’t tried any latex in person yet.

Am I missing any major points or factors in making this big decision?

Thank you very much!

[quote=“CooperCanfield” post=38650]Hi All:

We are overweight (280 lbs and 240 lbs) and we both sleep hot. For those reasons, I think we should go with latex or at least a latex/polyfoam hybrid. We both shift around regularly but tend to be side-sleepers or stomach sleepers. We decided we will purchase an adjustable foundation, which I hope will help us shift to more regular sleeping on our backs.

WOH. Stop right there. I can tell you from my shopping experience, ANY sort of rubber is going to sleep warm, so if that’s your thing, don’t buy a foam or rubber mattress. A latex mattress will sleep cooler than a memory foam type, but if you’re trying to avoid sleeping hot altogether, you’ll want natural fibers.

Since my husband likes his bed very soft, I wonder if we should get a firmer bed for the support aspect and then add a softer latex topper. I’m relatively comfortable with ordering online, but I’m afraid I will get the firmness wrong and have to spend a lot of time I don’t have shipping the comfort layer back and forth.

We are in Rochester, NY and we are considering going to Jamestown Mattress to see if we can lay on some latex options. We haven’t tried any latex in person yet.

You can also check out Sleepmaster in Syracuse, another local manufacturer/direct seller.

Am I missing any major points or factors in making this big decision?

[color=#880000]As side sleepers, you want your spine to be straight as you sleep on your side, and also not have your spine twist. Your body should feel really relaxed in the bed. If you find pressure points on your hips or shoulders, you can get a topper, which will give you a more plush feel, without losing the support. Wool, by the way, is a terrific topper for those who sleep hot. It improves circulation in beds that sleep warm, such as beds that have foam of some sort in the top layer. A good wool topper will set you back between $500 - 800, but worth it. Keep in mind that the support layer, the bottom foam or springs, are designed to keep your spine aligned properly when you sleep. The upper layers are designed to make you feel comfortable. My wife and I are buying a Green Sleep Niu bed, which has pocket coils and latex, covered by cotton and wool. Additionally we’re adding a wool topper. Price for the queen size is $2925. The foundation is $500.

Good luck.

Jeff[/color]

Thank you very much![/quote]

I’ll have to beg to disagree about latex always sleeping warm. I’d had a problem with being too warm when sleeping, especially after reaching the age when night sweats became an issue, until I bought an all Dunlop latex mattress last year, encased in a bamboo blend encasement, with an organic cotton mattress cover. I was freezing half to death with that combination right up until I bought a good set of flannel sheets, which created the perfect degree of warmth for me for the rest of the winter. I’d never in my life needed flannel sheets - but after a couple of weeks of waking up literally shivering several times a night, I had to do something and that proved to be the right “something” for me.

When warmer weather arrived, I was able to go back to my tencel sheets or my high thread count cotton sheets, which are now fine, temperature wise. When cold weather returns, I’ll put those away and get out my two good sets of flannel sheets.

What’s true for one person doesn’t necessarily apply for everyone.

Hi CooperCanfield,

Post #3 here and the other posts it links to have more information about mattresses for heavier weights that should be helpful. More importantly though I would make sure you follow all the steps in the tutorial post one at a time so you can learn the basics about mattresses (and how to test them) and connect with more knowledgeable and experienced manufacturers and retailers that will already know what you would otherwise need to learn and can provide good guidance about their mattresses.

There is also more about the many variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here. Latex is the most breathable of all the foam materials and tends to sleep cooler than other types of foam but the type of foam in a mattress is only one of the factors that can affect temperature and as you can see from the two other replies here one person’s experience may be very different from another partly because of the many differences between people (and where they are in the oven/iceberg range), partly because of differences in the specifics of the mattresses they own, and partly because of differences in their mattress protector, sheets, bedding, and room environments.

There are many less people that would have temperature issues with latex than with any other type of foam material (particularly if it uses a cover that has natural fiber quilted with wool) but natural fibers are more temperature regulating than any type of foam.

There is no way to know whether it will last twice as long, three times as long, or 50% longer except in retrospect. Even more important is how well you sleep on it and how long you sleep well before you cross the threshold between sleeping well and “tolerating” a mattress. There is no specific way to measure how long it will be before any particular person decides it’s time to replace their mattress because they can’t “tolerate” it any more and there is a big difference between a mattress that is “just OK” and one that you sleep very well. There is more about the variables that are involved in the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here but at your weights I would encourage you to consider higher quality/density materials including in the base layer (or at least in the top 5" to 6" of a mattress).

There is also more about the differences between all latex mattresses and latex/polyfoam hybrids in post #2 here and the post it links to. Post #5 here and post #2 here would also be worth reading.

I would also make sure that you have a more detailed conversation with Dreamfoam since they will be your best source of guidance about their mattresses and the options they have available.

The new layer is shipped to you before you send the old one back and there is a lot less time involved in shipping back a single layer than returning a complete mattress. This is one of the benefits of a component mattress and while they are very good at helping the large majority of their customers make suitable choices the first time … there are always exceptions and there will always be customers who are very glad that they have the option to exchange a layer after a purchase.

I would also talk with them about your firmness choices since they will be your best source of guidance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The Rochester list is in post #11 here but as you probably know I think highly of Jamestown Mattress and they would be well worth a visit. Your personal experience on latex mattresses will be much more meaningful and relevant than any “theory”.

If you are following all the steps and guidelines in the tutorial post one at a time then the odds of making a great choice will be very high.

Phoenix

The OP stated that they “slept hot”, not merely warm. In cold weather, latex’s warmth issues are not going to cause a concern. But while latex may be the most breathable of the foams, it’s still rubber and rubber is an insulator, so, unlike fibers like wool and cotton that REALLY breathe, latex is going to send some of that heat back up toward the sleeper. If the room you sleep in is not that warm to begin with, then it won’t be an issue. Since they sleep “hot”, if their room is warm, then the latex will likely sleep more noticeably warm. Anything they can do to help allow air circulation on the layers immediately beneath them will help, such as a wool topper.

Having tried lots of different mattresses of different types in air conditioned showrooms – different latex comfort layered mattresses to all natural fibers (as well as a memory foam) – I can tell you that I, personally, can feel the latex being warmer than natural fibered beds. My wife can detect it too.

But finding a properly supportive and comfortable mattress for side sleepers that use natural fibers ends up being a very expensive proposition. For us, we’re trying a latex over pocket coil. The warmth is not as bad as a memory foam, certainly, but we can feel the heat a bit more and it’s warmer than a natural fiber bed. I think we’ll be able to deal with it. But as far as the original poster, I’d worry since the poster didn’t merely use the word warm, but “hot”.

Ultimately, not only will the OP and her husband need to spend considerable time trying mattresses, but may need to find someplace that has an exchange policy if it doesn’t work for them in their home environment.

Hi AnalogJ

[quote]The OP stated that they “slept hot”, not merely warm. In cold weather, latex’s warmth issues are not going to cause a concern. But while latex may be the most breathable of the foams, it’s still rubber and rubber is an insulator, so, unlike fibers like wool and cotton that REALLY breathe, latex is going to send some of that heat back up toward the sleeper. If the room you sleep in is not that warm to begin with, then it won’t be an issue. Since they sleep “hot”, if their room is warm, then the latex will likely sleep more noticeably warm. Anything they can do to help allow air circulation on the layers immediately beneath them will help, such as a wool topper.

Having tried lots of different mattresses of different types in air conditioned showrooms – different latex comfort layered mattresses to all natural fibers (as well as a memory foam) – I can tell you that I, personally, can feel the latex being warmer than natural fibered beds. My wife can detect it too.[/quote]

Your comments are certainly correct as you know but I think most people’s reference point for sleeping temperature would be a “standard” innerspring/polyfoam mattress which is the most common type of mattress that people sleep on so relative to what they are used to (or sleep “hot” on), a latex mattress would generally be a change in a cooler or more temperature regulating direction. For those who sleep hot and their frame of reference is a memory foam mattress then almost anything will be an improvement.

It would be very unusual for someone to have any temperature regulation issues with a latex mattress that has a wool quilted cover … particularly if they used a breathable mattress protector and sheets made from a natural or viscose fiber.

Phoenix

Fair enough. Just again to reiterate that wool/cotton felt quite a bit cooler than the latex over coils in the store in our experience.

Phoenix, AnalogJ and Clawdia:

Thank you for your suggestions and for telling me about your experiences. We understand that not all latex options will be cool and that the mattress covering, sheets, etc. play a big role in our comfort from a temperature perspective.

It looks like we will need to spend more time trying mattresses in person and asking questions specifically of the manufacturer. We’ll probably have to spend more to get better quality/density materials given the pressure that will be on the mattress each night. I will let you know which mattress we choose and how it works out!

Thanks again!

Hi CooperCanfield,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any questions or feedback you may have along the way.

Phoenix

After visiting Jamestown Mattress over the weekend, we are honing in on the Heavenly Cloud Euro Top Latex with an upgrade to 2" of Joma Wool in the quilted top layer in lieu of the standard 2" of polyfoam. Specs are below. Anything look good/bad? The only thing I’m unsure about is with the polyfoam encasement (about 6" around the perimeter of the mattress), but I can’t articulate a reason for that concern … just overall questioning whether the polyfoam will wear differently from the latex, etc.

We tried the Nature’s Cloud Euro Top Latex (all latex - no polyfoam encasement) and it felt way too soft and nonsupportive. It has the same density latex in each layer, so I was very surprised at how much of a difference the foam encasement made as far as feeling sturdy. Does this sound typical?

http://www.jamestownmattress.com/euro-top-latex-one-sided-heavenly-cloud-mattress/

Quilted Top:

2" Joma Wool in the Quilted Top Layer

Comfort Layer (changeable):

3" 100% Natural Soft (ILD 19-21) Latex in the Euro Top
2" 100% Natural Super Soft (ILD 14-16) Latex in the Euro Top

Support Layer:

High Density Polyurethane Foam Encasement
6" 100% Natural Medium (ILD 24-26) Latex Core

Thank you for your advice!

Hi CooperCanfield,

The materials are all good quality and there aren’t any obvious weak links in the mattress.

While foam edge support isn’t the norm or normally necessary with a latex mattresses (see post #2 here) for some people who sleep on the very outside edge of their mattress or who prefer a firmer edge for sitting or getting in and out of bed they can certainly be a preference. Edge support could make a bigger difference for some people with a softer support core (such as the 24-26 ILD support core in this mattress) and/or higher weights.

Your own testing and experience is always the most reliable way to assess any mattress for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix!

Your experience and advice has been invaluable.