Mattress in a Box - So many options. Leesa or Tuft and Needle

Many thanks. This is helpful. I would really like to see some in person. I’m located in Dallas.

Hi ADOS,

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the lists you wish to deal with is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Dallas/Ft Worth area are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

The Leesa was the first bed in a box I tried and it was awful (for me). I sank through it like a stone (I’m 185 pounds) and in the morning there was a huge crater where my body had been that took several minutes to fill in. Back pain every night I used it.

Hi mrstevegold,

I’m sorry to hear that your Leesa mattress didn’t work out for you as well as you hoped for.

For the sake of others that are reading this though … each person has unique needs and preferences in a mattress so a mattress that would be a “perfect” choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (or vice versa) that has a different body type, sleeping style, or preferences and sensitivities.

While your experience indicates that the Leesa mattress wasn’t a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) … it also wouldn’t be relevant to someone else and I wouldn’t suggest that anyone purchase (or avoid) a mattress based on anyone else’s experience on the same mattress when they sleep on it.

Phoenix

My wife and I have a Tuft and Needle and love it. It was very firm on the first night, but by the second night, we were used to it. We have loved sleeping on it ever since. We are around 150lbs…

Hi calentarse,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that you are happy with your Tuft & Needle mattress although my comments in the previous reply about each person having unique needs and preferences would apply as well.

Phoenix

*** NEW TOPIC SPLIT from a reply to post #8 here ***

Agreed Phoenix! We have been communicating with T&N about the purchase of another mattress from them because we are upgrading to a king. Our 1 year old queen will get a new assignment in the guest bedroom.

The T&N has changed since last year - it is evidently just as supportive but offers “more pressure relief.” I presume that just means that the top layer is softer. No way really to tell how improved it is without just ordering it.

We are toying with Dreamfoam and the new T&N. The casper is a little expensive for us when we are pleased with the cheaper T&N. Not sure which Dreamfoam would be comparable to the T&N but slightly more forgiving of the side sleeper. We have been looking at the Ultimate Dreams Aria (Supreme Gel). What can you tell us about these mattresses comparable to one another?

Hi calentarse,

I split your post into a new topic of its own because your questions were starting to drift outside the scope of the original topic you posted in.

Yes … more pressure relief would “translate” into being a little bit softer. For some people it may be beneficial, for some it may be detrimental, and for some it may be more “neutral” but as you mentioned the only way to know whether it would be better or worse for any specific person would be based on your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

These are all very different mattresses that have different designs and combinations of materials and would all have a different “feel” and response even in the same firmness level. The Tuft & Needle has a high performance polyfoam comfort layer on top of a polyfoam base layer, The Casper has a synthetic latex layer on top of a memory foam layer on top of a polyfoam base layer, and the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Aria has two memory foam layers on top of a polyfoam base layer.

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings in the industry and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

The Dreamfoam mattress that would be the closest to the Tuft & Needle in terms of the type and quality of the materials inside it would be the Arctic Dreams mattress (see this topic) which uses very similar materials and has a similar design to the Tuft & Needle but I don’t know how it would compare for you in terms of firmness.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

A good online retailer or manufacturer will generally make suggestions that they honestly believe have the best chance of success based on the information you provide them when you talk to them on the phone because this is in both your own and their best interests but once again … at the end of the day the only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (or how it compares for you to another mattress that you have tried) will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience so if you can’t test a specific mattress in person then the options you have available after a purchase to either exchange the mattress (or individual layers or components in some cases) or return the mattress for a refund (and any costs involved) would generally become a more important part of most people’s personal value equation just in case a mattress you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix

Just wanted everyone to know that we settled on the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams mattress and were pleased for about 2 years. After that time, it rutted pretty badly where we were sleeping and became unbearably soft. We have contacted to company to make a warranty claim because we believe the ruts are 1.5"s or more. Will try to update where we go from here! Suggestions welcome. We are thinking of going back to Tuft and Needle now since the one we purchased a long time ago has held up VERY well.

Hi calentarse,

Welcome back to the forum :).

I am sorry the Dreamfoam did not work out for you. We are seeing some consumers having issues with mattresses after 1.5 to 2 years, Typically this is about the time period I that a lower density memory foam will break down and cause issues. This also happens faster for higher BMI consumers (with your original weight of 150 lbs for each of you… I doubt you gained much weight during this time)

I am happy that you initiated a warranty claim, it can be a tedious process for many people, but from my past experience with Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam they are very responsive, let’s hope it works out for you. It might be useful in the warranty claim process to take some pictures and measure the maximum depth indentation with a taut string placed across longitudinally/diagonally. (Feel free to post the photos here)

I have not heard of any changes to the T&N mattress since they were purchased by Serta… Serta / T&N news article.

Thank you again for your update and I’d be curious to know how it all works out for you. Good luck!

Phoenix

Hi calentarse,

Welcome back to the forum :).

I am sorry the Dreamfoam did not work out for you. We are seeing some consumers having issues with mattresses after 1.5 to 2 years, Typically this is about the time period I that a lower density memory foam will break down and cause issues. This also happens faster for higher BMI consumers (with your original weight of 150 lbs for each of you… I doubt you gained much weight during this time)

I am happy that you initiated a warranty claim, it can be a tedious process for many people, but from my past experience with Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam they are very responsive, let’s hope it works out for you. It might be useful in the warranty claim process to take some pictures and measure the maximum depth indentation with a taut string placed across longitudinally/diagonally. (Feel free to post the photos here)

I have not heard of any changes to the T&N mattress since they were purchased by Serta… Serta / T&N news article .

Thank you again for your update and I’d be curious to know how it all works out for you. Good luck!

Phoenix

Pheonix,

My wife and I are the same weight. Definitely should not have become this soft so quickly. I am open to another model of theirs if they do give me a warranty opportunity toward a new bed. I see ultimate dreams is discontinued anyhow…

Thanks for the spring suggestion. I already submitted the claim and it has been 36 hours and still no answer. I will definitely keep the forum posted, no pun intended.

In the meantime, we flipped it over and are sleeping on the polyfoam. I awoke with no hip pain : )

Is Brooklyn Bedding or Dreamfoam a trusted partner? I don’t see them on the list. If not, may I ask why?

Hi calentarse,

You are very welcome, I am sure you will hear something soon.

No worries about asking about Brooklyn Bedding / Dreamfoam. They are no longer a member of our site for various reasons but we at TMU are very familiar with them, they used to be members and they are also a contract manufacturer for some of our members.

Most often it is just a business decision between TMU and former members as to why a company is no longer a member. We are constantly discussing BB with our consumer members and maintain a good relationship with them.

I look forward to your future updates or any other questions you may have

Phoenix

I may try to direct message you my experience with their customer service. Interesting experience…

Hi calentarse,

Private Messaging would not work as there are some technical issues with it and with too many channels of communication that compete for my time I decided to put the PM on the back burner. Please feel free to email me at: phoenix (at) themattressunderground (dot) com if it helps you decide if you want to update the forum with this information. I’ll be watching for your email.

Phoenix

In short, the company is sending us a new mattress. Not sure if I have any say in which it will be but I mentioned that my wife and I prefer a firmer than average feel, and by that I mean a very supportive mattress. We currently have the dreamfoam flipped over because of the degradation of the sleeping side and it is sleepable. Certainly better than the mush that is the other side…Im just grateful they are recognizing that the mattress should not have done this after 2 years at this price point.

Hi calentarse,

Thanks for the update. I am also glad BB/Dreamfoam recognized the clear issue with your mattress. That is too bad you can’t choose, but it certainly can’t hurt that you communicated your desire for a “firm but supportive” mattress. Especially when they are replacing a defective mattress, it’s hard for companies to allow consumers to just start choosing new brands/models (although it totally makes sense for both parties).

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns and good luck with the replacement.

Phoenix

Two years later, the replacement mattress has done the same thing. We are around 170lbs and 145lbs, little heavier than we were before, but not overweight for our height. I will be posting a new question and hope to get some guidance on what mattress we should consider next. Just wanted to report our findings with BB!

Hey calentarse,

Welcome back to the forum :slight_smile: ! Good to see you again and thanks for your two year BB replacement update, sorry to hear that things don’t sound as if they are working out. I’m heading over to your new question now for response, see you in a few :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei