Mattress in SF Bay area

Hello,

Like everyone here, I’m having a hard time picking a winning mattress these days in the SF Bay area.

History: Had a plain Verlo, almost guest bed quality, mattress. double-sided, some foam, some cotton over bonnell coils i think. Slept like a baby for 11 years. Left mattress when I moved. Bad idea.

Tried: Simmon’s Beauty Rest Tomahawk. Way too firm
Replaced with Simmon’s World Class Cority plush (from US Mattress). Something happened to the bed. It was fine at first and then almost overnight it was really hard and uncomfortable and POS status. Trying to make it work for now with a latex topper. But I think latex topper is too firm, and my neck is really sore, and I wake up with headaches. (sore neck and headaches go away at hotels on business). Tried it with a memory foam topper, but memory foam didn’t protect from the hardness, and just left a sore low back.

Also Tried: Bed in a box. Nice return policy. Mattress was too hot, too hard, too stinky.

Tried again: Local small retailer. Tried to get something similar to the old Verlo. Bed had horrible toxic chemical smell. Was straightforward and pleasant at store trying to get refund based on gurantee… but turned into debacle of returning to store 4 times to get partial refund. get nervous when shopping now…

Tried again: another local small retailer: liked beds and customer service, bed seemed like what I wanted, pocket coils with 3 in dunlop medium latex on top, but seemed too hard. Had limited options if comfort wasn’t right (could only change 3 inch latex to soft)

Shopped again: at a berkely ergonomics place. Like the alpine. But the A seemed to soft and the C seemed a little too firm. Both had soft latex over german coils (medium and firmer).

Shopped again at natural mattress store: seemed comfortable on medium springs with soft latex (2 inch) but soooo pricey!!!

I really liked the berkely ergonics beds, but for that price i wanted it to be perfect, which I don’t think it was. Any other suggestions of where to go?

I’m 140# 5’6", side sleeper, normal weight distribution. Like good low back support, but can get pressure points. sensitive to smells

I noticed that one of the forum retailers from Beloit had a nice pocket coil with microcoils on top with 1 inch of soft latex. Wonder if something ike this would work? Or if I can find something like this out in the Bay area not as expensive as BE.

HALP… please :slight_smile:

Hi pressurepts,

You’ve probably already read this but just in case … the basic information you will need to find your “best” mattress is in post #1 here. This will help you eliminate your worst options (major brands, chain stores, and any mattress where the quality specs are not available or material quality is low) and focus on the better ones (some of which you seem to have visited already). It also has some guidelines that can help you test mattresses more effectively.

Some of the better options in the San Francisco Bay area (including BE which I think are good quality and value) are listed in post #2 here including one which is a member here and carries some very high quality and value innerspring/latex mattresses that can be customized in many ways but would be a bit of a drive away in Santa Cruz.

You have some very good options and choices available in the area.

It certainly could work and as you probably discovered at BE microcoils and latex can be a good combination but you would need to test it for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) to know for sure. Depending on the design … some mattresses with microcoils may work well for you and others with different designs may not be suitable. If you do some initial research on the phone before you test mattresses (and I strongly recommend that you always call any manufacturer or retailer you plan to visit before going there anyway) you may be able to track down some mattresses that included microcoils in the comfort layers that you could test.

Phoenix