Mattress just arrived!

[quote=“buttercupbetty” post=26781]Do you think that I might be happy by adding another 3" of soft (75D)? I will look back over Clawdia’s post. I think maybe she went with Talalay…

Adding another 3" would bring us to 12". (3+3+6) I’d rather NOT do a layer exchange, as this would be a huge pain and expensive. In hindsight, I might have rather purchased all 3" layers, but c’est la vie.

And if I did this addition, I may or may not want a topper, right?[/quote]

Hi Buttercupbetty,

Sounds like you’re deep in an experiment!

dn is right - my mattress is all Dunlop - the specs are:
19-23 ILD six inch core, and then a comfort layer of three inches of 16-18 ILD. The Dunlop layers both have a Latex Green tag on them. Mattress came from Sleep Essentials in Roanoke, VA - has no fire retardant at all, required a prescription to purchase, which made it tax exempt and tax deductible. This soft Dunlop mattress is targeted in advertising as being for people who either just plain love soft, or who have chronic pain problems like fibromyalgia or lupus, etc., which I do.

I tried to talk myself into following Phoenix’s advice about always getting a firmer rather than softer mattress, since it’s easier to fix too firm rather than too soft, but just couldn’t make myself want a firmer mattress. Surprisingly, the shop owner encouraged me to go with the softer mattress, saying he always told people if they were on the fence between two levels of firmness/softness, that they should go with the softer choice.

Most people who look at those numbers think my mattress must be very, very soft - but it doesn’t come close to feeling too soft to me. I don’t sink down too far, alignment seems good, etc. If anything, there are times I think I’d like it to be even a bit softer and cushier. I weigh in the 140s, and sleep on my side more than 90% of the time. Sometimes I wish my shoulders sank a little more into the mattress.

I like the feel of Dunlop latex, so I don’t want to add a cushy wool topper or anything that would interfere with the feel of the latex. I’ve even considered getting a very low ILD Talalay topper at some point, but I can’t find a local place to even try a Talalay topper, or even an all Talalay mattress - closest I can come would be a Pure Latex Bliss mattress, but those aren’t all natural Talalay unless I’ve misunderstood something.

My mattress came with what was said to be a knit stretch bamboo cover (it is soft). The only disappointment I’ve had with the mattress was after it was delivered and I looked at the tag inside the cover, which revealed it’s only partly made of rayon from bamboo, being a rayon/cotton blend, and it was made in China. Made me feel pretty stupid not to have insisted on seeing the tag before I purchased the mattress, but rather I took the shop owner’s word that it was a “bamboo cover”. I feel a bit like I got suckered on the cover.

I put an organic cotton stretch knit mattress protector over that (CozyPure), and it has not changed the feel of the mattress more than just a tiny bit. I suffer from severe “princess and the pea syndrome”, so I probably notice any change more than most people would. I wanted to protect the mattress a bit, and I also wanted some good organic material between me and that made in China part bamboo fabric that is the cover.

Obviously, I’d think your mattress way too firm! I hope you can figure out how to get it so it suits you.

@Clawdia

Thank you for the thorough summary! And yes, I am deep in an experiment :slight_smile:

I wish I could drive over and test your mattress!!! I’m having a hard time finding comparable “showrooms” in my area. Some of Phoenix’s recommendations are out of stock or not longer carry what I’m looking for.

I will find something soft enough for my preferences. It’s only a matter of time!

Interesting that you’d like to make your mattress even softer with another layer. I love the warmth of wool, so will probably end up adding at least a thin topper (1/2-1") after I sort out my latex layers, cover, etc.

Thanks again! I appreciate your insight & humor.

@Phoenix:

You mentioned the resiliency of latex vs sinking into a wool topper. My partner loves feeling the latex and is lobbying for a stretchy cover (not quilted). I, on the other hand, love wool for it’s thermal regulation. So when he learned that there are toppers made of BOTH latex and wool (like 3" latex + 1" wool), he thought that sounded great for us. His suggestion: stick with what we have and get a stretchy cover, then mitigate the “too firm” situation for me by adding a latex+wool topper.

I told him I thought there was a reason why this might be risky~but now I can’t remember what it is! I have searched the forum for “Latex & wool toppers”, but so far haven’t found any posts.

Please advise~thanks!!!

Hi buttercupbetty,

I don’t know which post you mean but the only inherent risk of any topper would be the same as with any sleeping system which is if the softness and thickness of the topper combined with the softness and thickness of the upper layers of your mattress were too much softness/thickness for your body type and didn’t keep you in good alignment in all your sleeping positions.

Phoenix