Mattress Modifications

I have an original Tempurpedic queen size mattress that I purchased about 15 years ago as a replacement for an aging King Koil. I weigh 210 and my wife is 170. We rotate it a couple of times a year. We loved it for the first three or four years until it became noticeably unsupportive. I unzipped the cover and it was clear that the foam base layer had given out under the denser memory foam near the center of the bed. I was able to peel the bottom layer away from the memory foam and replaced it with a much heavier 4" talalay latex. Since then, the mattress has been better than new, firmer with even more support. Over the years, I have noticed that the memory effect has diminished and the top layer feels softer. It does not seem to be sagging at all, but more like an overall change in the top memory foam layer. I am tempted to replace the top layer now. It is my understanding that Tempurpedic used a 2.8" thick - 5.3 lb memory foam at that time. Since the latex replacement layer is not quite as thick as the original base foam, a generic 3" - 5lb memory foam slab would fit inside the cover. Another possibility would be to replace the memory foam with a cool gel type foam, but I am not familiar with it and have never experienced the feel. We use a sheepskin mattress pad, so the original memory foam has never felt hot or uncomfortable. Before doing that, I am tempted to flip the mattress over to see if we like the feel of latex. I assume that having the memory foam at the bottom would have very little effect on the support, especially since it would not be warmed by our bodies. Any other suggestions?

Hi rvsarch,

This would be typical for memory foam as it will soften over time under the heavier parts of the body especially (virtual impressions) more than sag (visible impressions) and will also lose some of its “memory”.

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials or mattress pads) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to “match” every layer with exactly the same type of material that has all the same properties with the same layer thickness and the same layer firmness you won’t be able to “match” your original Tempurpedic or your memory foam/latex replacement.

Latex and memory foam are completely different materials with very different properties so using a latex base layer that is very different from the original polyfoam base layer in your Tempurpedic would already make it impossible to “duplicate” your original Tempurpedic even if you were able to find a memory foam layer that had identical properties to the memory foam in your original Tempurpedic.

In addition to this there is a very wide range of different memory foam formulations with different properties including density, response time, temperature sensitivity, breathability, and firmness. Many of the newer memory foam formulations or gel memory foam formulations are more breathable and have a faster response time (less “memory”) than older formulations because of consumer complaints about heat and about the “stuck in sand” feel that can go with some memory foam formulations that have a slower response time. There is more about the different properties that can be formulated into of different types of memory foam (gel or non gel) in post #9 here and in post #8 here.

In other words it won’t be possible to “duplicate” your original Tempurpedic or your latex/memory foam replacement using different types or formulations of materials.

The good news though is that you won’t have to duplicate it anyway because all that really matters is that any mattress or combination of materials and components that you sleep on is a good “match” for your own specific needs and preferences in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) and whether it matches another mattress or combination of materials or not isn’t particularly important (just like your original change from a polyfoam core to a latex core was an improvement over your original Tempurpedic even though it was different).

The closest you could probably come to your current latex/memory foam combination would be to replace your current Tempurpedic memory foam layer with a 3" layer of a different type of 5 lb memory foam that was “somewhat similar” to your Tempurpedic layer.

The better online sources for replacement layers and components I’m aware of are listed in post #4 here and a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier can also provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market so you can choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a memory foam topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. A good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the memory foam layer you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Different people with different body types, sleeping styles, and individual preferences and sensitivities can also interact with the same mattress very differently so they can have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare so I would always keep in mind that the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP would be based on your own careful testing or your actual sleeping experience and that some degree of trial and error will always be part of any DIY mattress project.

I would keep in mind that the firm latex that you are using in your base layer will feel very different from the softer latex that is generally used in comfort layers so it may be a good idea to test out some mattresses in local stores that have top layers of latex that are softer than your current base layer to see how they feel to you and to get a general sense of the firmness level that you tend to prefer.

If the memory foam has softened under the heavier parts of your body then it could certainly have some negative effect on your alignment over the course of the night although it would probably be less on the bottom than on the top. Since you have separate layers anyway … if you are considering using a latex comfort layer instead of a memory foam comfort layer I would tend to use the latex on top of your current latex base layer and remove the memory foam completely. Since you appear to like firmer mattresses if you do go in this direction I would probably start with a 3" layer of latex that was somewhere in a medium firmness range and then if this was too firm you could either add an additional softer layer on top of it or replace the medium layer with a softer one. Again though I would keep in mind that latex and memory foam are very different materials with very different properties so it’s difficult to use one as a reference point or “blueprint” for the other. There is more about some of the differences between memory foam and latex in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the quick response and in-depth reply. Since my wife and I both liked the mattress more after replacing the polyfoam with latex, it is not necessary to replicate the original. We’ve never tried a latex comfort layer. I was reluctant to flip the mattress over because of the weight and the fact that the two pieces of foam are just held together by friction and not with glue like the originals were. It was difficult to get them lined up straight and the mattress is much heavier now with the latex base layer… If we like the feel of the latex, then yes, I would replace the old memory foam with latex. Since the new latex will be a different density and thickness, then we could decide later, which latex makes a better comfort layer. If we don’t like the feel of the latex, then I think we will go for a dense memory foam to replace the original, probably 5lbs. New foam should be better than the 15yr old stuff, even though it will never exactly match the characteristics of the Tempurpedic foam when it was new. I will look through the forums to get specific opinions about cooler memory foam as well. When I’m done, the only thing “Tempurpedic” about the mattress will be the cover.

RVSarch

Hi rvsarch,

The “hand feel” of most gel memory foams will be noticeably cooler than regular memory foam and they can provide some cooling benefits when you first go to sleep at night but temperatures will tend to equalize over time at which point the insulating properties of the memory foam will become dominant. The amount and type of gel in the foam can affect whether the temperature benefits will last longer or shorter and the cell structure and amount of airflow through foam will also play a very significant role in reducing heat buildup in the material but in general terms … gel memory foam can sleep a little cooler when you are first going to sleep at night but in most cases the benefits of the gel tend to be temporary and don’t normally last over the course of the night. Gel memory foams in general will also tend to be somewhat faster responding than non gel memory foams as well.

It’s not really possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material. The sheepskin mattress pad that you are using would generally be enough to keep most people in a suitable temperature range even on top of memory foam (which in general is the warmest type of foam material) although of course there will always be some exceptions.

Memory foam or to a slightly lesser degree gel memory foam in general will tend to sleep warmer than other types of foam materials such as polyfoam and latex and all foam materials will tend to sleep warmer than natural fibers such as wool or cotton but there are many different formulations of memory foam and gel memory foam that are being used in the industry that can vary in terms of airflow and temperature regulation. There is more information and comments about some of the different methods or formulations that can be used to help cool down the tendency of any memory foam to sleep warmer for some people in post #6 here but memory foam manufacturers don’t disclose their specific chemical formulations and there are so many variables involved in temperature regulation other than the memory foam formulation itself that the only way to know whether any memory foam mattress in combination with all the other variables that can affect temperature regulation will be “temperature regulating enough” for you will be based on your own personal experience.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and to your comments and feedback once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I flipped the mattress last night and it was interesting. Yes, the latex base layer was too firm and would not make a good comfort layer. I just don’t think I would like the resiliency of latex after 15 years sleeping on memory foam. My wife loved the Tempurpedic from day one, so I ordered a 5.3lb, 3" memory foam topper from foamorder.com. I decided not to get the 5lb topper from Memory Foam Solutions on Amazon for $100 less, mostly due to their free shipping. Some negative reviews put me off. I will let you know what happens when I get it.

Hi rvsarch,

I think you certainly made a good quality choice that would probably be “as close as possible” to the memory foam layer you were using previously.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

My 3" - 5.3 lb memory foam slab from foamorder arrived today. It took about ten days for them to ship after the order was placed. Then another six days via UPS ground. It was very well packed.

When I opened my old Tempurpedic mattress cover I was surprised to see that the old memory foam layer was actually two pieces glued together. I measured the total thickness of the old memory foam at 3.5". There was a 0.75" layer glued on top of a 2.75" layer. The latex I bought to replace the base layer ten years ago looks and feels great. The old memory foam is quite discolored and feels spongy.

The new memory foam is 3", so the mattress is a bit less thick, but I don’t think that will be a problem. The new foam smell is not that bad. Compared to the old foam, the new pink foam is significantly more firm and has the full memory effect I remember from when the Tempurpedic was new. Once zipped together, the combination of old latex and new memory foam feels significantly more supportive. Even though the foam is a half inch less thick, I don’t feel as though I sink down as close to the support layer, even after a twenty minute nap. It will probably take a few nights sleep to confirm the improvement. I have the feeling the latex will last as long as this new top layer.

Hi rvsarch,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update and it’s good to hear that things sound promising so far.

It sounds like you had the old Tempurpedic Classic rather than the Original (see post #3 here).

I think that would be a reasonable assumption.

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a little longer.

Phoenix

It’s been three nights. My wife is thrilled with the improvement in comfort and didn’t want to get out of bed this morning. It was like replacing a limp sponge with a marshmallow. Clearly, the old memory foam was shot and not working any more.

Room temperature was 67Âş F last night at bedtime. When we first got the mattress, the Tempurpedic foam became quite stiff when the room temperature was in this range and took a while to soften with body heat, especially with the wool fleece mattress pad we use. The new foam, while feeling very viscous, seems less sensitive to temperature. We both think that the new memory foam layer is more comfortable than the original Tempurpedic when it was new. I notice the improvement most in my elbows.

When we replaced the original polyfoam support layer with latex ten years ago, it turned out to be much more supportive. Now the comfort layer is also improved over the original. The only remaining component of the mattress is the zippered cover emblazoned all over with the Tempurpedic logo.

Hi rvsarch,

Thanks for sharing another update and it’s great to hear that your new topper is working so well for both of you.

Phoenix

One year on, mattress success has turned to failure. The 5.3lb, 3" memory foam topper from foamorder.com has turned to mush. I have lost about ten pounds and am just below 200, but I now sink much deeper into the memory foam than when it was new last year and it does not seem to have any memory effect at all. I sleep on my stomach and my back has started to bother me.

Even though it is nearly 10 years old, the 4" firm Talalay latex base layer seems to be in great shape with no signs of sagging or loss of support. Because the latex has been so durable, I am thinking of replacing the comfort layer with a medium firmness latex. Right now I am looking at Pure Green from Sleep on Latex in the same 3" thickness as the memory foam. My only concern is pressure relief. I sometimes wake up with sore elbows when traveling if I sleep on a firm spring mattress with no topper. We do use a fleece mattress cover and that has mainly had the advantage of keeping our memory foam from feeling hot. Any thoughts?

Hi rvsarch,

I’m sorry to learn you’re not enjoying the feel of your memory foam topper. :frowning: As we discussed in one of my replies to you a little over a year ago, it is typical that memory foam will soften over time under the heavier parts of the body especially (virtual impressions) more than sag (visible impressions) and will also lose some of its “memory”.

Assuming the latex core is still in good shape (you can place it directly upon the floor and lie back upon it without the memory foam topper on it) and there is no sag in your foundation, choosing to go with a latex upper 3" topper can be a good alternative, although it will have a different feel from the memory foam that your wife really seems to enjoy.

Latex has an unusual combination of surface softness and deeper firmness/support that comes from its elasticity, it’s point elasticity (ability to conform to the shape of a body) and its compression modulus (the ability to get firmer faster with deeper compression than other types of foam). This means that it can enhance the pressure relieving layers above it because of its surface softness and point elasticity but it is also very supportive and can “stop” the heavier parts of the body from sinking in too deeply. It is also very resilient (it returns a high percentage of the energy of compression instead of absorbing it like memory foam which has very low resilience) so it can enhance the “feel” of the mattress by making it more responsive and more adaptable to different body profiles and sleeping positions rather than the less responsive feeling of memory foam or the stiffer and less adaptable characteristics of polyfoam. Latex is also a very durable material (it’s the most durable of all the foam types) so it can add to the durability of a mattress compared to other materials but the deeper layers of a mattress have less effect on mattress durability (a mattress will soften and break down from the top down) and more of an effect on performance and support/alignment so this would be less of a factor in its use.

All memory foam will tend to be in the very plush category (low to mid-teens for IFD). There’s more about selecting a latex topper here, but if you need a fair bit to a lot of extra softness then a 3" topper would probably be the best choice. 19 - 24 ILD in latex would be considered to be in the soft range for “average” body types while very light body types may be OK with an ultra soft 14 ILD and heavier body types would probably do better with 28 ILD and above. If you choose a topper that is “too soft”, you can actually end up “feeling through” it to your latex core, especially when placing your weight on your elbows, so the 19-24 ILD range may be a good place for you to start investigating.

Because of the uncertainty involved with purchasing a topper where you can’t test the combination in person … a good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would also make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return the topper and any costs involved just in case a topper you choose also doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix

I went ahead and ordered a 3" medium latex topper from Sleep on Latex with an ILD of 30 to put on top of my existing 4" firm latex foundation. Not sure of the foundation ILD, but it is probably significantly higher than 30. Lying directly on it, it is much too firm to use as a comfort layer. That leaves about an inch of room in the mattress cover in case I need to add 1" of memory foam or soft latex for a final comfort layer.

As for the one year old 5.3lb memory foam from foamorder, it was great when we first got it. Now, I can press my fist into it and go right down to the latex support layer without much force. The Tempurpedic memory foam was about the same density, but didn’t start to change until it was well over 10 years old. I plan on cutting down the year old memory foam to put on a dense urethane foundation for a full size guest bed that currently has a 15 year old coil mattress. It was an expensive piece of foam and I would hate to waste it. Thanks for your in depth response.

rvsarch - Sorry to hear about the problem you’ve encountered with your MF topper from foamorder. According to their website they have an uncommon warranty regarding softening of their 5.3 lb memory foam toppers as detailed below, so you might want to check with them regarding a potential claim. Hope this helps!

5.3-lb Memory Foam mattresses or toppers, EverFlex toppers
These are warranted not to soften more than 10% or form permanent dents for 15 years. If you think yours has softened simply press down on a spot of the foam that doesn’t get much use (such as near your head) and compare the resistance with a high-use spot (such as in the middle of where your body normally rests). If you can tell a difference of at least 10% in firmness, you probably have a valid claim. We will pay for any freight charges for mattress failures in the lower 48 United States. You will receive a credit equal to your original purchase price towards currently advertised merchandise. We do not offer refunds. Our foam toppers are competitively priced and therefore are excluded from the free shipping warranty offer. Our Basic (discount) Memory Foam mattress has a 10-year warranty since it uses DuraFlex™ base foam. Mattress warranties are to the original purchaser only—not transferable.

https://www.foamorder.com/warranty.html

Hi rvsarch,

Congratulations on your new topper purchase! :cheer: I hope it provides the comfort that you desire.

In case you hadn’t already investigated it, Sweet Dreams (thanks Sweet Dreams!) did post some information regarding the warranty from Foam Order on their 5.3 lb memory foam toppers.

Phoenix

I received the latex topper from Sleep on Latex in just two days and after three nights sleep, my wife and I are very pleased with the excellent support it provides. 3" of medium latex on top of the 4" firm latex foundation seems just about right for us. My back is already feeling better and it is not so difficult to move around on top of the bed, compared to feeling mired down in the super soft memory foam. The only thing I miss is the pressure relief the memory foam provided at my knees and elbows, but the latex is comfortable enough under our wool fleece mattress cover.

When I removed the memory foam I was surprised that in just one year, the pink color had almost completely faded and the edges were yellowed. Again, the original Tempurpedic memory foam was fine for over a dozen years while the 5.3lb replacement foam softened significantly in less than a year. I get the sense that latex is a much more durable material. Thanks for the link to the warranty info. It might be worth returning the memory foam for a credit instead of trying to reuse it on our guest bed. You have been very helpful. THANKS!

Hi rvsarch,

I’m happy that you are sleeping better with your new topper. :slight_smile: You are correct that it should be a much more durable product than your memory foam topper, and the latex is much easier to reposition upon than memory foam.

As for the color change, there will be difference in oxidation/UV of a foam depending upon the covering used and the amount of anti-oxidants added to the product. I think, as Sweet Dreams brought up, it’s at least worth investigating regarding a credit/replacement for your topper (whatever might be offered if it’s found that you qualify for a warranty replacement).

Phoenix

It’s been almost a year since I replaced the memory foam comfort layer with latex and the mattress feels just as good as it did when I made the change last November. No signs of any deterioration in the new latex foam. Clearly the problem was not with the 10 year old latex base layer but it was the replacement memory foam I purchased in 2016 that softened and failed me. I think I prefer the feel of the latex to memory foam anyhow and my experience over time is that latex is more stable than memory foam. Certainly, the latex base layer has lasted much longer than dense polyfoam that came with the original Tempurpedic. I am now a convert to using latex as both a base and a comfort layer. I am thankful for all of the good information I’ve gotten from this forum.

Hi rvsarch.

Thanks for the compliments about the site… but especially thank you for taking the time to provide a one-year update of your experience with your “sleep on latex” - latex topper. :lol:

I am happy that you continue to sleep well and that you fully “converted” and prefer the feel of latex to that of memory foam (I had a similar experience) . It is fairly interesting to observe the of the power of habits and what it takes to change them … many of us tend to want stick to the “feel” we know just because it’s familiar and rarely take a step into the unknown in search of a better alternative. I am glad you did and that it paid off!

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix or anyone else who can comment, I hope it is ok to hijack this thread. If its not please move to where it needs to go. I currently have a Tempurpedic Advantage. Its over 10 years old but was not used for most of this time so it is in really good shape. Problem for me is that it is way to firm (one of their most firm models) to the point of crippling me (I have neck and lower back issues.) We were basically given this mattress and I was excited bc I occasionally sleep on a 20 yr old tempurpedic at a friends house that I believe must be the classic and I love it. I say the classic bc after calling tempurpedic a few times, the last rep I talked to said he the oldest catalog he had was 2003 and he thought I must be talking about the Classic because the original was to firm to be this bed. I have also slept on a cloud of some sort (whatever it was was very supportive but very soft in its pressure relieving top part.) I know me not having these specific names might make my questions hard to answer but I will just put them out there and see what you think. I have read this forum for about 6 months. I have laid on several mattresses in the big name stores to try and find what feel I might be going for in current models. I didn’t really plan on buying from box store unless I found a closeout/clearance store. I have found a few in my area so that is an option but I would rather buy new mattress that will last if buying new mattress. I like the feel of the icomfort blue max touch 1000, and I briefly tried the beautyrest black hybrid tolliver. I know they are completely different and the tolliver is listed as firm so not sure that I laid on it long enough or maybe its just plusher than the other firms bc of its price range. I also see several tempurpedics that are on craigslist in my area that are a few years old. Those are 2 choices, without talking to any local small shops.

That’s all background. My real question comes to adding foam to my current tempurpedic. I have tried 2 different foam toppers. Unfortunately they are from big box stores and did not work for me. One was a gel infused memory foam that was 3 inches but it was egg crate shape so really only probably 2 inches. It sucks bc its too gooey and after 20 mins I was basically laying on the hard foam of the mattress since it was not being heated by my body temp… I tried it for a few wks and was in horrible pain all night and started having headaches coming from my neck. Then someone gave us a 2 inch memory foam topper (again from a box store and have no idea of the brand/etc. It was to thin but in desperation I doubled it. It was a little better than the other but at that thickness is still a bit gooey and I still have the shoulder and neck issues. So I was thinking that maybe those foams were just not dense enough or of good quality. I have read the threads you have suggest to others about toppers and in diy threads. I was wondering if you might be able to give me suggestions of what might be best in changing my advantage to a classic or some sort of soft cloud. I understand you can not tell me what will be good for me but given those parameters, what do you think. Would a better quality topper or perhaps buying foam from a company that lets one diy mattress layers be worthwhile? I was thinking that perhaps I need to different density/types of foam on top of the advantage. I guess I hate to ditch the advantage but also don’t want to spend 600$ on foam that might not work. I have not called any of the trusted foam/mattress companies but that may be my next call. I live in central florida if that helps w/ your suggestions. Thanks for all the work you do and time you put into helping us.