Mattress on the Floor?

I’m looking to purchase a 9 inch latex mattress, but I haven’t decided what bed to get yet.
I really don’t want to wait and would prefer to just put it on the floor.

I assume that would be fine and provide ample support.
Any issues with that?

Am I going to notice a difference when I eventually transition to a platform bed or foundation and frame?

Thanks,
John

Hi Jester,

A mattress on the floor isn’t the end of the world for sure and is fine, with a couple notes. If you have dirty flooring, you will want to ensure its clean or put some kind of barrier between the floor and mattress. Also, something like a bed rug or even a bunch of 2x4’s laid down first (with ideally no more than 3" between) to let the bottom of the mattress have fresh air might be a good idea especially if you keep it like that a long time.

Other than that, there’s not a lot of difference between the floor and any platform bed except for height. I’d treat it similar to an adjustable bed, which is also a flat non-open surface.

Depending on the kind of foundation you get down the road, yes you could feel a difference. In particular, if you get a foundation that has any give to it, or uses slats which flex, it can soften the mattress a bit.

Hi Jester,

Like dn … I don’t think it would be an issue in the short term but I don’t think having a mattress on the floor would be a good idea in the long term because of the higher risk of mold, mildew, and dust mites (see post #10 here), other unwanted “guests”, and the higher risk of soiling the mattress which can void a warranty.

Phoenix