Mattress or foundation suggestions

Hi Partsman41953,

The first place I would start in any search for anew mattress is post #1 here which has the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices (and avoid the worst ones).

You can see my thoughts about airbeds in this article.

There are so many variables and unknowns in choosing a mattress that is suitable for each person (see post #2 here) that your own personal testing (done carefully and objectively) is the most reliable way to know which mattress works best for you in terms of PPP (posture and alignment, Pressure reief, and Personal preferences).

The combination of materials and components you choose (polyfoam, latex, memory foam, innersprings etc) are really a matter of personal preferences but regardless of which type of design you end up preferring … making sure that the comfort layers especially use good quality materials are the key part to the durability of a mattress. A mattress will soften and break down from the top down so the comfort layers are generally the “weak link” of any mattress and all materials used in comfort layers have better and worse quality versions that will be more or less durable.

In many cases a couple has different needs and preferences and the first part of post #2 here has some insights and ideas that can help with this. A knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer or retailer that is knowledgeable about mattress design and materials will also be able to help with this.

Who you buy from and who you avoid (and how to tell the difference) can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase in both the short and long term.

Once you get to step 3 … if you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix