Mattress or mattress plus topper to to suit multiple health problems

Hi,

I’m already done quite a bit of research on my one and it’s left me more confused than ever. I’m glad I stumbled upon your mattress forum. I’m a 42 year old, 5;4" old female, currently without a partner, looking to buy a queen size bed. Price is an issue and I was originally hoping to set a limit of no more than 1000, but might have to go a bit higher.

I have fibromyalgia and neck and back problems (muscle, not disc) that combined cause muscle and nerve pain so I need a mattress that is supportive alleviates pressure. The beds I’ve been trying that feel the best all are innerspring mattresses with memory foam. I live in MA and reserved the Simmons Beauty Rest Alex Bay at Jordan’s furniture because it’s being discontinued (I know I can buy it cheaper online).

However, also am sensitive to to different odors and have asthma that runs mild to moderate. I’ve researched problems with memory foam and off-gassing and odors etc. I know this is more of a problem with an all memory foam mattress. How much of a problem is this with a combined inner spring and memory foam mattress? I’ve also read about eco-friendly brands that don’t have has much toxic odors like Saatva, but I’ve also heard that memory foam in general doesn’t hold up and that it is hotter
I have also heard that memory foam simply doesn’t hold up–that I’m best turning to latex–so I’m now really confused.

Am I right to be concerned about the innerspring memory foam combination? Is my best bet turning to natural latex? Will a basic innerspring mattress and a good quality latex topper suffice and if so can anyone point me in the right direction. I’m in the midst of several health problems and will be moving in mid May and having surgery in August so I really a decent bed and need to make my decision soon.

A thousand thanks in advance for your help.

jh

Hi jh10,

I think it may be helpful to start at the beginning again and “reset” your mattress search because some of your questions don’t have any “definitive” answers and are more a matter of deciding where in a range you may be rather than looking for more black and white answers which may not exist.

The first place I would start with any mattress search is post #1 here which has all the information, steps, and guildelines you will need to help you make good choices.

The issues of “safety” and “sensitivity” to different materials is very complex and relative to each person and “how safe is safe enough for me” is really a question that each person needs to answer for themselves because there are no definitive answers that apply to everyone (such as “should I use memory foam”). Everything is relative to each person’s sensitivities and preferences and their own “risk tolerance”. Post #2 here will give you some information and links that should be helpful in your research in this direction.

A forum search on MCS and on fibromyalgia (you can just click these) may also bring up some posts that may be helpful.

I would also keep in mind that there is no such thing as an “all memory foam” mattress. Memory foam is only used in the upper layers of a mattress and needs some type of firmer support layers underneath it (such as polyfoam which is most common or an innerspring).

I would also be very very careful about “ecofriendly” claims that are being made everywhere when they are only talking about polyfoam which is a petrochemical foam. You can read a little more in post #2 here. These claims are more about greenwashing for the most part and “ecofriendly” has little to do with “safety”. You can also read more about Saatva in this thread.

So I would start at the beginning and follow the steps one by one.

Phoenix