mattress or topper?

If I find a mattress with a comfortable sponginess, I shouldn’t need a topper, right? How do I know whether a topper on my old mattress would work for me or whether I need a new mattress, or is this another personal choice about which you really can’t advise?

Hi GinaTrent,

If you choose a mattress that is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then you shouldn’t need a topper. If you buy a new mattress that you believe is a good match for you when you purchase it and then discover that it’s firmer than you need or prefer when you sleep on it then a topper can certainly be a good solution.

If your current mattress is still in good condition and there are no soft spots, sagging, or impressions in the mattress and the only issue is that the mattress is too firm then a topper can be a great way to add some additional softness and pressure relief to yourmattress. If this is the case and you can’t test a specific mattress topper combination in person then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to may be helpful in choosing the type, thickness, and softness of a topper that has the best chance of success.

If your mattress isn’t in good condition, has soft spots or sagging, or is already too soft for you, then a topper wouldn’t be a good solution because it will just follow any soft spots or sagging in the mattress underneath it and a topper isn’t an effective way to firm up a mattress that is too soft (see post #4 here).

Phoenix

From your comment I am guessing you have not bough a mattress yet, so in my opinion there is no need to spend money on a topper as well. Try testing a few mattresses, give you details and preferences to your sales adviser (find someone experienced) and go for a mattress that is comfortable enough for you to avoid getting a topper.