Mattress Pad for Gel Memory Foam

I recently bought a Dreamfoam - Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress and love it! We didn’t have a mattress pad at first so we were just sleeping on sheets directly on the mattress. Very comfortable and the mattress stayed cool all night.

So here’s my dilemma. I was worried about the mattress getting stained or dirty over time with only sheets covering, so I ordered this mattress pad: Extra Plush Bamboo Top Mattress Pad. Very nice pad but it sleeps hot relative to the gel memory foam directly, and the pillow top diminishes the feel of the memory foam.

Any suggestions? Are there any pads out there that will maintain the effects of the mattress but ensure it doesn’t get dirty over time? Or should I just sleep on the mattress with no pad at all under the sheet?

Hi msurge,

I think you would probably be better off with a mattress protector than a mattress pad (which has some form of padding and will have a much bigger effect on how the mattress feels).

Post #89 here has more about the different types of protectors and some of the tradeoffs between them.

The most common choice would usually be one of the membrane types of protectors which will generally have little effect on the feel of the mattress although the membrane is not as breathable as some of the other types of protectors so for a few people it can have an effect on the sleeping temperature of the mattress.

Phoenix