Mattress pad & frame for Brooklyn Bedding

I am planning on purchasing 2 Brooklyn Bedding twin mattresses for my children.
1.) Please share recommendations for a waterproof mattress pad for a child’s bed, preferably free of any vinyl or other unhealthy materials that isn’t crazy expensive.
2.) Is the Sleepmaster Smart Base Foundation/Platform suitable for the Brooklyn Bedding mattress.

Thanks much!

ssiegel99,

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here. If your children are at risk of an “accident” then a protector with a waterproof membrane would probably be the best choice.

Any foam mattress with a polyfoam support core will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components (bedframe and foundation or platform bed) need to be strong and durable and stable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress (which may be slats or a steel or wire grid) should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. If a foundation has a slatted surface then I would suggest that the gaps between any slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) as a maximum although less than 4" would be better yet.

There is more information about support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here and some of the information and comments in this topic may be helpful as well.

Phoenix